PDA

View Full Version : Gloves or Mitts

partinj
12-17-2006, 00:31
I seen some wool flip-over mitts at kmart today they were on sale for 9.99
they feel really warm.About hats i have a really warm wool Beanie also ave a fleece hat with pull down ears covers. The question is should i get Balaclava i am starting on feb 3 the Balaclava could keep my neck warm if it had to.Also have any of you use a pair of kmart Mitts on the trail.

Thank:-?

Jack Tarlin
12-17-2006, 00:38
Some folk like gloves, others prefer mittens. Mittens will be great when you're hiking, as you'll be able to handle your poles even with thick mitts, but they will limit your mobility back in camp, doing stuff like putting up or taking down a tent in cold weather, preparing a meal, etc. If you go with heavy mitts, I'd also consider bringing along a pair of lightweight, very sheer polypropylene gloves which you can get pretty much anywhere for about 6 or 7 dollars. These'll keep your hands warm while also permitting you to do other stuff which heavy gloves might inhibit.

Minerva
12-17-2006, 09:12
My woolen Thinsulate lined flip top mittens are my favorite winter gloves. My hands get cold easily. These open fingered mitts are great for when I need to use my fingers for things like zippers, camp chores, putting on my snow shoes or xc skis without exposing my hands to the cold.

When it's really frosty I'll wear these mitts with a liner glove. Once my hands warm up from the exercise I usually end up taking off the woolen mittens and just wear the liner glove.

I don't wear a balaclava but instead prefer a fleece neck gaiter. When the wind is really howling and the temps low I'll pull it up and over my nose to warm it up and the breathe the warmed air. The neck gaiter can be worn as a kind of balaclava, a head band, and a pillow cover over my sleeping bag silnylon stuff sack. I don't like the sweaty feel of sil next to my face when I sleep. The fleece is so much softer.
MrsG

Footslogger
12-17-2006, 16:19
I carry polypro liner gloves and a pair of OR waterproof rain mitts. Great combinatin for 3 season hiking. In outright winter conditions I have a heavier pair of WindPro fleece gloves.

'Slogger

snowhoe
12-17-2006, 19:55
I wore gloves and my hiking poles wore holes in them. Maybe take two pair one for hiking and one for camp.

mythicyeti
12-18-2006, 03:48
I carry polypro liner gloves and a pair of OR waterproof rain mitts. Great combinatin for 3 season hiking.

I also go the liner / mitts route. Liners are essential as the temps drop to help manage moisture which equalls comfort.

highway
12-18-2006, 07:06
I personally categorize gloves or mittens as necessary onlyfor the fourth season-winter. I never take them or three season use.

rafe
12-18-2006, 09:00
I personally categorize gloves or mittens as necessary onlyfor the fourth season-winter. I never take them or three season use.

In the Whites, I'd consider them necessary any season. That, plus a fleece hat also (and wind/rain gear.) It can get chilly in camp after sunset, and in the mornings when you get up. There were lots of chances to use 'em in GA in April...

hopefulhiker
12-18-2006, 11:36
I used the water proof gloves. It helped when hiking in the rain.. The wool flip mittens are nice though,very versatile..

Frosty
12-18-2006, 12:07
For backbacking when night time temps get down in the teens-twenties, I would bring two pairs of gloves and a pair of mitts.

The mitts are vapor barrier, waterproof and very warm (and very light, about four ounces). I use these in camp after eating to re-warm my hands, and to hike if there is one of those nasty 33* rains during the day. They have a long gauntlet that fits under my Packa sleeve (I also had Cedar Tree add a bit of length to the sleeves of my Packa).

One pair of gloves is light weight poly, about 2 1/2 ounces. These I use hiking in the early morning, or on steep trails where I have to use cold trees/rocks as handholds.

One pair of silk liners for sleeping. I often end up with my arms out of my bag, and wake up if my hands get cold. (I also have long silk underwear I put on to sleep in at night.) Weight of silk gloves and long underwear is 11 1/2 ounces total.

I find the combo of poly gloves and overmitts to be the warmest, lightest, and most flexible. For 6 1/2 ounces, less than the weight of heavy woolen gloves, I have gloves for hiking, gloves for camp chores, gloves for cold rain, and gloves to re-wam hands if they get dangerously cold.

One thing about getting poly gloves wet. It isn't like poly underwear where you can still be comfortable when it gets wet. When poly gloves get wet, your hands get cold quickly.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I have a lightweight balaclava that I use to sleep in. I got it at a snowmobile website - it is thin enough to go under a helmet. Just nice for night time. When hiking I have an ear band. I hike hot and if I wore a fleece hat while hiking I would have sweat running down my neck, but my ears do get very cold. Also, fleece hats tend to work their way off my head, or at least uncover my ears, at night. I do have an orange fleece hat I wear in hunting season.

SGT Rock
12-19-2006, 03:20
Glove liners with mitts to put over them for me too.