PDA

View Full Version : shelter traffic peak?

infideljim
12-17-2006, 01:08
Hi All.

My father and I plan to section hike the AT thru to the Georgia border this spring.

2 questions...

1. When a Shelter is full, what are the Georgia rules for where tents can go? anywhere/anytime?

2. Does the hiker traffic peak in March? and/or does the trail ever get too crowded?

Thanks in advance for any info,
Jim

rafe
12-17-2006, 01:24
Mid-March to mid-April is peak starting season for northbound thru-hikers. I'm not sure there are any laws about who gets shelter space. Generally it's first-come, first-served. Tenting space varies from site to site... one of the locals here might fill you in on details for specific shelters or possible camp/stealth sites.

One doesn't generally sense the crowding on the trail itself, except for the occasional scout troup or church retreat group. Where you sense it is in the shelters and campsites.

Lugnut
12-17-2006, 01:25
There are no restrictions on camping as far as I've ever heard. Anywhere/anytime would cover it.
Thru season is getting earlier every year but you should still expect shelter space to be scarce during spring. There are ample tentsites near the shelters.

infideljim
12-17-2006, 01:32
Thanks Terrapin_too

I guess where I was going with that was the rules for the Smokies (as I understand them) say that a shelter must be full before any tents can be pitched, and then only in designated spots.

So does Georgia's AT section allow tents only in designated spots, or can it be practically anywhere? (if the shelters fill up)

infideljim
12-17-2006, 01:33
Oops, just saw Lugnut's post.
That answers it.
Thanks!

rafe
12-17-2006, 01:44
Thanks Terrapin_too

I guess where I was going with that was the rules for the Smokies (as I understand them) say that a shelter must be full before any tents can be pitched, and then only in designated spots.

So does Georgia's AT section allow tents only in designated spots, or can it be practically anywhere? (if the shelters fill up)

No, Georgia isn't like the Smokies. Camping was pretty easy, there were ample opportunites along the trail. My memory's a bit hazy, but I do remember Justus Stream on the 2nd night out (very nice,) and other nice tent sites both below and above Neels' Gap, at Jarrard Gap and Low Gap. Don't take my word for this, 'cuz it was a long time ago ;). In fact I think I spent more nights in tents than shelters in GA...

Lone Wolf
12-17-2006, 11:11
All the tenting spots at shelters in Georgia are pretty much bare ground. Gets muddy as hell during rain. The Georgia AT is seriously overused.

Johnny Swank
12-17-2006, 11:19
You might want to consider the Benton MacKaye trail as instead of the AT. A bit wilder, but should be less crowded.

http://www.bmta.org/

highway
12-17-2006, 11:19
On or about 28 April, 2004 I started at Amicalola and walked north on a section hike. I never found crowded conditions and shelters were almost empty in fact. There were no "crowds" at all in Georgia or the part of NC I walked through. There were a few through-hikers starting then, too, making that time interesting, most notably the Reverend Yukon Jack and he finished at Katahdin. I suspect one could hammock or tent most anywhere and all springs were running then so water was the most ample of anyplace I have ever seen. Personally, through Georgia began to see little need to carry much-if any-water at all.

So, at end of April I found solitude, some company, ample shelter, water everywhere-what more could I ask for:D

Lone Wolf
12-17-2006, 11:22
You might want to consider the Benton MacKaye trail as instead of the AT. A bit wilder, but should be less crowded.

http://www.bmta.org/

Wannabe thru-hikers wouldn't DARE deviate from the sacred white blazes so early in the trip. :D They usually wait till Damascus to pop thier blue-blaze cherry by taking the Creeper Trail.

rafe
12-17-2006, 11:27
They usually wait till Damascus to pop thier blue-blaze cherry by taking the Creeper Trail.

LOL. :D Speaking of guilty pleasures...

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/creeper_trail.html

Lone Wolf
12-17-2006, 11:30
LOL. :D Speaking of guilty pleasures...

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/creeper_trail.html

I go for run just about every day on the Creeper. This past spring I saw dozens of thru-hikers taking the Creeper. I wonder if they applied for thier certificates and patches?:-? :D

Sly
12-17-2006, 11:57
This past spring I saw dozens of thru-hikers taking the Creeper. I wonder if they applied for thier certificates and patches?:-? :D

If I were the volunteer sending out the cerifcates and patches it wouldn't matter.... :p And I took the WB trail... :sun

rafe
12-17-2006, 12:11
This past spring I saw dozens of thru-hikers taking the Creeper

Probably at your suggestion. :sun I'll bet you've deflowered more wanna-be thru hikers than anyone else on the AT, evah. Prolly why they drop like flies between Damascus and Pearisburg...