PDA

View Full Version : How Much Water on Board?

the_iceman
12-17-2006, 11:24
I know it varies by terrain and person (how much you sweat, etc) but I am trying to tweak my pack weight. I plan on a March 3rd +- start. Can anyone give me an idea of how plentiful water might be and how much people carried at a time? At 1.04 ounces of weight per liquid ounce 70 ounces of water weighs a ton – actually 4.5+ pounds. A liter weighs 35.21 ounces.

Water is not something to scrimp on but it is a heart breaker to carry a “safe” amount only to cross a stream every half mile for the day.

Lone Wolf
12-17-2006, 11:26
There's plenty of water in Georgia in March. I never carry more than a quart.

highway
12-17-2006, 11:31
End of April 2004 water was so ample in Georgia one really did not have to carry much at all. Start out with what you feel comfortable with and tweak as you go along. Drink all you can from the water fountain in amicalola and carry just 1 liter if you feel concerned. I doubt you'll seldom carry more unless you just dont like to stop much. Really, an empty cup is all you'll really need there:D

rafe
12-17-2006, 11:36
"How much water to carry" is one of the toughest calls you'll have to make on a thru-hike. There's no rule, you're going to have to guess a lot and you'll guess wrong a lot. I can tell this... being dehydrated sucks, and can take all the fun outta hiking. You have to consider the conditions (has it been raining? has it been dry?) and where you're heading (not much water on ridges, but usually easier to find in low places and cols.)

Camel up at streams, consider the distance to the next water source. If you're heading up the ridge, you'll need more water. If you're heading down the mountain, probably less. If it's a hot day, you need more; cool day, less. If you're overwieght & outta shape, you need more. Lightweight and fit, you need less.

Speaking personally, I prefer to err on the side of carrying too much. Oh, and I can tell you this from sad experience... there's no water at "Sweetwater Gap." :( At least not when I came through.

rafe
12-17-2006, 11:46
Really, an empty cup is all you'll really need there

Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again
Let it be known, there is a fountain
That was not made by the hands of man

-garcia/hunter

mountain squid
12-17-2006, 11:59
Yeah, I don't remember there being any water shortages in Ga. Plenty of springs and/or streams. Of course, I'm sure it changes year to year.

I remember several dry spots in PA. NY had water, but the sources usually were questionable?!? Lots of mosquitoes, if I remember. Several mountain stretches in ME had absolutely no water. 6 or 7 miles between sources. (The Whites in NH are NOT a problem - all the Huts have water for a mere $2.50/glass:D .)

You will usually know when approaching a "waterless" stretch by reading shelter register entries... I know water weighs alot, but it is something I don't mind carrying. Being thirsty and realizing you are still far from a "reliable" source is not fun...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

hopefulhiker
12-17-2006, 11:59
One and a half two litres, normally, in dry spells up two four liters or more..

saimyoji
12-17-2006, 16:19
A always start with 2 liters. Use good maps, get local info as you go on water sources, conditions, talk to other hikers, no need to worry about water on the AT.

Kerosene
12-17-2006, 16:36
I usually carry 2 liters, but I rarely use all of it before the next water source. Part of the reason I carry that much is to avoid the hassle of stopping to get water (I take advantage of good water sources wherever possible), but the main reason is probably that I once ran out and really suffered on a hot humid day. No fun. If I'm walking a dry ridgeline then I may also pick up a disposable plastic 20-32 oz. bottle for that section.

SalParadise
12-17-2006, 19:42
what worked really well for me was to plan my water resupply to the second source that was listed on the map. Usually that meant two litres or less. That way if I couldn't find the first source or it was dried up or sorta ugly, I always had enough water for the second source.

The most water I remember carrying was about 1.5 gallons out of Palmerton, but usually I tried not to carry too much.

skyhiker2
12-17-2006, 20:26
Better safe than sorry,, You'll get a feel for how much water to carry once you've been walking for a few days.. Just be prepared to make some adjustments... I will be leaving around March 15th myself ( give or take a few days) LOL if we cross paths let me how your making out with the h2o supply..

fiddlehead
12-17-2006, 21:39
I drink a litre when i'm at a good water source and don't carry any.
This works through most of the AT until summer when you probably have to carry some.
Georgia is a good place to practice this technique and find out how much you need as it has plenty of water.
If in doubt, carry a litre but remember weight is very important.
On the CDT, i've camelled up to a gallon in my stomach, hiked the next 12 miles thru desert without drinking any. I wouldn't try that unless you know your body better but you should by the time it's important (PA, NJ, NY in the summer)
I often see people on the AT carrying way too much water. Either they don't have confidence in their hiking abilities, or the water sources. You can tell by the springs/ streams by how the ones you see. are they running? plentiful? dry?
It's common sense that if it hasn't rained lately, you may want to carry. If your in a rainstorm, why bother?

Spirit Walker
12-17-2006, 21:50
The data book tells you where the water is. It isn't difficult to plan ahead. I usually drink about one quart for every 6-8 miles, and camel up when I find good sources. I usually carry too much, in that I like to arrive at a water source with some water in hand, in case it is dry. Obviously, that is only in areas/times when water is iffy. On the AT water wasn't an issue at all until Virginia, when there were some longer ridgetop dry stretches.

cutman11
12-17-2006, 22:04
I take one 4 liter bladder, usually only fill half full, and one 500cc "reserve" nalgene or soda bottle. I usually have enough to last the day, use the 500cc for cooking on arrival at camp, then filter enough for night time use and the next day before getting in the bag. If the temps are such that the water would freeze overnight, would wait to filter till morning. The small nalgene can be used as a foot warmer in the bag by heating water, and then can use for breakfast the next am.

soulrebel
12-17-2006, 23:49
Pref 2-20oz gatorade bottles. camel up and fill one for the walk except at dinner then grab as much as you can and preferably head to a dry and more secluded camp so you can get some friggin sleep.