PDA

View Full Version : Lest's talk in detail about socks & feet

the_iceman
12-17-2006, 13:24
Everyone seems to have a different opinion on how many pairs of socks to carry. Since I have mostly section hiked I have had the luxury of carrying several pairs of socks. I have never had great luck washing them and then drying them on the back of my pack. It is usually so humid or rains every day when ever I try they stay damp for days and then smell worse then when I washed them.

How about some feed back from successful thru-hikers on how many pair you carried, if and when you washed them, liners or no liners, and what kind of foot problems you had. You know like blisters, lesions, foot rot, or gangrene, etc

rafe
12-17-2006, 13:28
Good thread. Personally, I don't want to wear my sox unwashed for more than 2 days. I carry 2-3 pair and rotate them. No liners. Almost never had blisters on the trail. Oops, I'm not a "succesful thru hiker." Forget all that. ;)

Lone Wolf
12-17-2006, 13:30
I wear on pair and carry one pair. I'll wear a pair 4 or 5 days then switch. Wash em in town. Buy new ones as they wear out. No liners either. @ pair are all you need. My opinion.

Lone Wolf
12-17-2006, 13:30
I wear on pair and carry one pair. I'll wear a pair 4 or 5 days then switch. Wash em in town. Buy new ones as they wear out. No liners either. @ pair are all you need. My opinion.

2 pair is what I meant, not @

highway
12-17-2006, 13:36
Two pair smartwool socks, 2 pair cheap liners. I find I need liners when I go fast or put in longer days as it helps much with foot friction, liners against skin, wool on outside.. On slow saunters or low miles I dont need liners at all-it all depends on speed and distance. I wear one set, keep another set-hopefully dry. I hike in sandals so the combo usually dries quickly once rain stops, otherwise once they get wet, they stay wet. I guess since they self rinse crossing streams they dont smell. when I can i rinse and change to rotate them. I dont sleep in socks at night-I prefer my feet to air out. I have slowly gravitated to this arrangement and it works well for me. One pair of the liners is Injinji socks-with toes.

Lone Wolf
12-17-2006, 13:37
Everyone seems to have a different opinion on how many pairs of socks to carry. Since I have mostly section hiked I have had the luxury of carrying several pairs of socks. I have never had great luck washing them and then drying them on the back of my pack. It is usually so humid or rains every day when ever I try they stay damp for days and then smell worse then when I washed them.

How about some feed back from successful thru-hikers on how many pair you carried, if and when you washed them, liners or no liners, and what kind of foot problems you had. You know like blisters, lesions, foot rot, or gangrene, etc

you're gonna get 100 different answers from 100 different people.:)

rafe
12-17-2006, 13:39
you're gonna get 100 different answers from 100 different people.:)

Is that a bad thing?

the_iceman
12-17-2006, 13:46
The more replies the better. Like anything I need to take the answers and figure out my own system.

I am down the 78 days, 18 hours, 17 minutes and 30 seconds before I start and I am packing and repacking my pack (a ULA Catalyst) adding up my weight, and thinking what the hell can I get rid of and not be stupid or miserable.

I am around 35 lbs with 4 - 5 of food and a full load of water. That counts clothes for a cold weather start. I was going to bring 4 pairs of smartwool socks. At 4.5 ounces a pair and not a lot of compression I am rethinking the sock issue.

rafe
12-17-2006, 13:51
I am around 35 lbs with 4 - 5 of food and a full load of water.

Keep trimming, then. For a March/April start, you should be able to shed another 5 lbs easy. Just my $ 0.02. I know what it's like to hike heavy, and I know I'm happier when I'm light. OTOH, if you're built like LW, carry all you want.

saimyoji
12-17-2006, 15:08
I used to only wear one pair, had problems with blisters. Put on two pair, no more problems. I wear two pair of cheap as they come nylon/polyester/whatever synthetic fabric I can find. I carry a pair of warm merino wool socks for camp.

It may be worthwhile to invest in a stronger fabric sock for a longer hike, but I'm not there yet.

rafe
12-17-2006, 15:15
I used to think Thor-Los were da bomb, but there's one pair of Bridgedale socks in my collection that beat all. It's the densest weave I've ever seen. They're indestructible. Not sure which "model" or where I found 'em.

SGT Rock
12-17-2006, 15:18
2 pairs of just the liners - no real socks. And in colder weather I wear something a little warmer.

Kerosene
12-17-2006, 15:42
Another factor is the amount of sweat that your feet generate. My feet tend to sweat a lot in any situation, and it gets increasingly worse as intensity, humidity and temperature increase. It can get so bad that duct tape has no chance of adhering to my skin (even if my feet are completely dry when I apply it) and many times I have to wring out my socks after a long, hard climb. One of these days I'll try converting to mesh trail-runners and thinner socks to increase breathability, but for me that wouldn't work on rocky or perennially damp trails.

My approach is to work liner socks under SmartWools (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=2254&parent_category_rn=0&vcat=REI_SEARCH). As I've had problems with blisters between my toes, I bring a few pairs of Injinji toe socks (http://www.injinji.com/tetratsok/crew.htm), plus two pairs of Fox River X-Static liners (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=1022604&parent_category_rn=4501316&vcat=REI_SEARCH). I rotate liners several times every 3-4 hours. I bring 2-3 pairs of SmartWools and wring them out at boots-off stops. They rarely get fully dry on the back of my pack, but the liners will dry which makes my feet happy.

Liners weigh 1.5 to 2 ounces a pair, while SmartWools are 4 ounces a pair in my size, so I'm carrying 15 ounces in socks and wearing another 6. This is why I want canister-powered mini-dryers in shelters so I can carry fewer socks and enjoy dryer feet!

Undershaft
12-17-2006, 15:51
I carry 3 pairs of marino wool socks. 1 for hiking, 1 for sleeping/camp, 1 for backup in case the other 2 pairs get too wet or dirty. I can usually get 3-4 days out of one pair when hiking. I've never had a blister. I use "Comfort Hikers" by Wigwam. Comfortable and fairly warm even when wet. I never use liners.

Johnny Swank
12-17-2006, 18:20
2 pairs of cheap nylon dress socks (worn) and one pair of ankle-high generic merino wool socks to sleep in. That's all I need for spring - fall hiking.

You can wash the dress socks, wring them out, and put them right back on if you want, or just splash through streams. They'll pretty much dry overnight if you want to get really fancy and actually wash them. I get about 800 miles to a pair.

rickb
12-17-2006, 18:35
Southbounders might well start with more:

1) More chance of chronic wet feet?
2) Less chance to change footware (changing socks can adjust fit)?
3) Smarter than Northbounders as a rule.

Jan LiteShoe
12-17-2006, 18:52
Well, I'm hopeless as a minimalist. While I had an 18-pound summer weight, I still carried four pairs of socks. It was just so wet in 2003. I had trench foot by Harper's Ferry. It took an army guy to explain to me why the cracks at the base of my toes wouldn't heal.

With four pair of socks I could change a couple times a day, although on some of the wettest stretches, that meant changing from filthy-and-wet to clean and wet (less abrasive). ;-)

My funny feet only really fit in Solomans, which are a shoe perhaps more used out west due to their dense mesh (allows drying). Well, mesh also allows wetting. ;-)

I think you might get away with just synthetic sock liners if you have great-fitting shoes on well-shaped feet without pressure points (such as bunions). I don't. Young feet have more padding too.

The point being, you'll figure things out given your circumstances at the time. The Trail is a great teacher.

One sock tip though - experiment with different blends and brands. Some brands burn my feet up, others don't. Before you blame your shoes, change socks first.

Best of luck in '07 - won't be long now!

Sly
12-17-2006, 19:09
I'll carry 2-3 pair max. Whatever I can find on sale between Smartwool, Bridgedale, Thorlos and Woolrich. In warmer temps, I've started using ankle socks, which I may also use as sleeping socks during colder weather.

Jan LiteShoe
12-17-2006, 19:12
I'll carry 2-3 pair max. Whatever I can find on sale between Smartwool, Bridgedale, Thorlos and Woolrich. In warmer temps, I've started using ankle socks, which I may also use as sleeping socks during colder weather.

In 2003, you might have even carried FOUR pair.
It was a VERY wet year.
Maybe you hadn't heard.
:)

Sly
12-17-2006, 19:19
In 2003, you might have even carried FOUR pair.
It was a VERY wet year.
Maybe you hadn't heard.
:)

2003 was a WET year? Never heard that before! :p The problem, I found, with putting on nice clean, dry soaks in wet weather is that they only stay dry for about 5 minutes, generally because your footwear is thoroughly soaked. Now your forced to carry them. :eek: I got used to putting on cold, wet socks. :o

SalParadise
12-17-2006, 19:33
I almost wish I had four pair along. The amount I'd sweat and the salt buildup got pretty bad in the heat and I would sometimes develop salt blisters if I wore a pair of socks too long.

And once my feet started to callous up, I ditched the liner socks, there was no need.

fiddlehead
12-17-2006, 21:44
Normally, two pair of fleece socks: one to wear, one for sleeping (keep these dry)
In the summer, 2 pair of lighweight nylon socks for hiking (one to wear, one to clean and hang to wear tomorrow)
I ALWAYS have a pair of fleece socks for sleeping/emergency cold
Haven't had any foot problems since i went to a size and a half or 2 sizes bigger than my normal working world shoes.
I agree, southbounders should perhaps take one extra pair (river crossings, colder weather, Maine is wetter than any state)

Kerosene
12-18-2006, 00:03
I had trench foot by Harper's Ferry.I recently read that slathering Hydropel (http://www.arequip.com/Reviews/Hydropel%20Sports%20Ointment.htm) over your feet forms an impermeable barrier to water as well as a lubricant, avoiding disease and blisters for the most part. This product is popular with adventure racers.

hopefulhiker
12-18-2006, 11:28
I found that I could get by with three pair of socks, used Thorlo light hikers with one pair of liner type socks.. I started out carrying four pair of socks..

vipahman
12-18-2006, 12:18
I carry 4 pairs of socks. 1st for 7-1pm, 2nd for 1-7pm. Then I wash them and use the 3rd and 4th pair for the next day. This way I'm usually good to go.

Having had athlete's foot many years ago (from rollerblading in NYC summers all day long), I've learnt to take care of my feet by changing my socks frequently.

Mother's Finest
12-18-2006, 13:20
no matter what system you settle upon, socks only, socks and liners, thick socks vs thin, make sure you fit your boots with that system.

You cannot expect boots to fit the same way with different thickness of socks on.

peace
mf

highway
12-18-2006, 14:59
Alternatively, consider trail runners or trail sandals instead of boots.

A pound upon the feet = 5 (or 6 depending on who) upon the back:cool:

jlb2012
12-18-2006, 15:13
even with trail runners there are sock issues - in a moment of insanity I used a thick sock with my trail runners for a trip in the Cranberry Wilderness WV - ended up with very strong pain similar to Morton's Neuroma - the thicker sock had squeezed the foot enough to irritate the nerve. Now I am looking for a wider version of a trail runner - unfortunately my favorite (Asics Eagle Trail Gel) doesn't come in wide.

btw I agree with the pound on the foot etc. saying - it definately works that way with me

Mother's Finest
12-18-2006, 15:25
Yes, speaking of the difference between boots and running shoes....

Yesterday I went hiking with a brand new pair of Meindl boots. I wore my own custom orthotics with them, not the inserts that accompanied the boots.(however, they are cork and very high quality and supportive if a person did not have custom orthotics)

I had no problems. Did about five miles in two hours, and the boots performed extremely well. No discomfort, my feet felt great after the hike.

I normally wear the Brooks Beast running shoe. Best way I can describe the difference is the boots were like a Jeep running in the lowest gear. You know you have tremendous stability, and nothing is going to make you roll an ankle, but you are not dancing across the trail.

For weather and cold considerations, boots are the only way to go. But once the weather allows it, running shoes are hard to beat for lightness, stability and comfort.

peace
mf

mythicyeti
12-18-2006, 16:15
When I hiked I used 3/4 length with lower cut boots. If you are going with footwear that's not a full cut boot you can move down to the 3/4 to save a little weight.

My experience was that synthetic socks like the Thor-los tended to flatten out after one days use. Smartwools retained their loft much longer. Synthetics do dry a bit faster though. REI sells some pretty cheap wool socks that are very good quality. They are made in a factory in Raleigh, NC the same place Teko is made.

For a week long stretch I brought 2 synthetic liners and 2 smartwool 3/4 socks.

Someone mentioned matching your socks to your footwear...that's great advice.

Johnny Swank
12-18-2006, 18:36
I agree with matching your socks and footwear. My black dress socks look smashing with my sandals. I look like a Florida tourist that's taken a wrong turn and ended up on the AT, but damn if it combination doesn't work for me.

I'm looking for some plaid socks now, and I'm willing to double the $1/pair budget to to get them. I'm a big spender like that.

Bravo
12-18-2006, 18:47
I agree with matching your socks and footwear. My black dress socks look smashing with my sandals. I look like a Florida tourist that's taken a wrong turn and ended up on the AT, but damn if it combination doesn't work for me.

I'm looking for some plaid socks now, and I'm willing to double the $1/pair budget to to get them. I'm a big spender like that.

Me 2. That's funny.:D

skyhiker2
12-18-2006, 19:59
Ok People get ready,!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sick and tired of reading all of this garbage about wet feet. They make the things called "Over Boots" by Neo... your guaranted

skyhiker2
12-18-2006, 20:04
Ok People get ready,!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sick and tired of reading all of this garbage about wet feet. They make the things called "Over Boots" by Neo... your guaranted not to get wet feet. They are basicly like "Galoshes" but for hikers.. You should not be hiking with wet feet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was in the military and yes we got wet sometimes, "BUT" we were back to base with in a few days.. When your out hiking for months at a time """"" Take care of your feet""""" and spring a couple of bucks for a nice pair of over boots.. they are so worth it.....

Ramble~On
12-18-2006, 20:23
2 or three pairs depending on the time of year.
I wear one and have the other pair drying or ready to wear.
Dirty socks are part of the game and almost immediately after putting a clean pair on they're dirty too so why carry a bunch of dirty socks around ?

I know everyone's different and all that but here's what works for me.

Alpaca/Merino Wool www.dahlgrenfootwear.com (http://www.dahlgrenfootwear.com) Alpaca fiber is ideal (IMO)
for backpacking and they have different weights for different uses and times of year. These socks are not 100% Alpaca..but a blend of fibers with Alpaca in all the right places. Dahlgren's patented "dristride" system might be a bunch of marketing BS...but I have found that thier socks work as they say. They are one of the few remaining things that are MADE IN USA.

And...

Wigwam merino wool and "ingenius" socks
http://www.wigwam.com/brandhome.htm

Wigwam...there are other merino wool socks out there that might be just as good if not better but I like these.

"ingenius" by Wigwam....awesome socks (IMO) a sock with a sewn in liner..
I have worn a pair of these with my sandals for mile after mile and if I plan on wearing sandals instead of boots these do it for me.

Kerosene
12-18-2006, 21:23
They make the things called "Over Boots" by Neo... your guaranted not to get wet feet.Is this (http://www.overshoe.com/recreational/products/detail.php?s=VIS) what you're talking about? At 1.6 pounds for the lightweight version I think I'll pass. Besides, my feet would heat up in a mile and I'd still have wet feet.

highway
12-19-2006, 07:34
"ingenius" by Wigwam....awesome socks (IMO) a sock with a sewn in liner..
I have worn a pair of these with my sandals for mile after mile and if I plan on wearing sandals instead of boots these do it for me.

There is always something new it seems but these would eliminate the separate liners I usually use so I'm going to try these. Where did you get them? HHMMMMMMMM:-?

rafe
12-19-2006, 08:08
When I was a kid, we'd put thin plastic bags between our feet and our boots when tromping in the snow. It really did work. Is there a commercial product that's the equivalent? It could be really thin. In fact, I think it needs to be really thin. And it has to go between the outermost sock and the shoe/boot. Prolly made of silnylon these days (if anything...)

the_iceman
12-19-2006, 08:20
They are called vapor barrier socks. Good for winter camping. I think OR used to make them. The pair I have are coated nylon. Not good if your feet sweat.

highway
12-19-2006, 08:20
When I was a kid, we'd put thin plastic bags between our feet and our boots when tromping in the snow. It really did work. Is there a commercial product that's the equivalent? It could be really thin. In fact, I think it needs to be really thin. And it has to go between the outermost sock and the shoe/boot. Prolly made of silnylon these days (if anything...)

Sealskinz
http://www.sealskinz.com/
I used them a few weeks in winter with sandals

rafe
12-19-2006, 08:22
They are called vapor barrier socks. Good for winter camping. I think OR used to make them. The pair I have are coated nylon. Not good if your feet sweat.

I've been looking for them on the web. So for I haven't found anything that looks quite thin and light enough.

the_iceman
12-19-2006, 10:36
Just google them: here is one I found in stock

http://www.alaskamountaineering.com/Product.cfm?id=218

rafe
12-19-2006, 10:39
Just google them: here is one I found in stock

http://www.alaskamountaineering.com/Product.cfm?id=218

Offhand, looks like a lot more than I'm looking for. I'm thinking a pair would fit in a little 4 oz plastic jar, like those Granite Gear stuff sacks.

mythicyeti
12-19-2006, 12:23
Your feet perspire massive amounts of moisture throughout the day. The key is moisture management. By using quality socks and liners you move the moisture away from your feet. If you put up a barrier to it escaping you'll be swimming in no time and that's bad news for your little toes.

Footslogger
12-19-2006, 12:30
Just another hiker's input. In 2003 I wore one and carried 2 (pairs of socks, that is). Even with all the rain we had that year, this combination worked out fine. From Springer to Pearisburg (and then again from Glencliff to Katahdin) I wore the lightweight merino wool socks from REI. From Pearisburg to Glencliff I wore the Thorlo Lighthikers with Coolmax.

I did also carry a pair of Coolmax liner socks and wore them around camp, to sleep in and around towns. They were more "airy" and easier on my feet when I wasn't hiking.

'Slogger

Bravo
12-19-2006, 13:20
I've hiked for over 2 weeks with wet feet everyday. My feet dried every night though. Do people still have problems even after letting their feet air out in the night??? Just wondering.

the_iceman
12-19-2006, 18:20
Vapor barrier socks are typically used for winter or artic adventures. Like anything waterproof, even the stuff that claims it breathes, if you sweat there danger is being wetter on the inside than the outside. Same goes for a rain jacket in a summer rain.

I am a sweat hog. I save my rain jacket for camp if the temps are much above 45 degrees and there is no chance of a freeze.

Ramble~On
12-20-2006, 07:13
There is always something new it seems but these would eliminate the separate liners I usually use so I'm going to try these. Where did you get them? HHMMMMMMMM:-?

I picked them up at a local backpacking store. I see you live in Florida and I'm not sure if they's be all that easy to find. Give REI a try..they might carry them.

Downunda
12-28-2006, 01:39
I'll offer up two things you can do to aid your feet... 1) wash your feet at the end of each day, and 2) make sure you change into some sort of camp shoe such as crocs at the end of the day so that your feet get a chance to air out.

I was amazed at the number of hikers who would roll into camp at the end of day and keep their boots and socks on until hitting the sack.

mweinstone
12-28-2006, 09:16
as i am the resident world leader to be,.. i decree all humans wear sox like mine.two pair and two liner. rag wool or death.wigwam or death. fox river liners or death. do as i say!

your farts stink for the same reason your pits and your feet do,.....cause your a toxic nightmare. stop eating swine and do an apple once in a while.

Mr. Clean
12-30-2006, 06:43
I bring three pairs of Smartwools; I wear two and keep one pair in the pack for sleeping with dry feet. I may try a pair of nylon socks or a liner to replace one pair of Smartwools, though. I find I need to wear two pairs of socks to avoid blisters.