PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christmas

Lion King
12-17-2006, 16:47
Joyous Kwanza, Happy hanukkah etc...to all and everyone.

To all those poeple out there on every trail who have made life a little better I hope your holiday season is filled with joy and love and all the happiness that you need.

Cheers.:banana

general
12-17-2006, 19:06
Joyous Kwanza, Happy hanukkah etc...to all and everyone.

To all those poeple out there on every trail who have made life a little better I hope your holiday season is filled with joy and love and all the happiness that you need.

Cheers.:banana

same to you there Big Daddy

Programbo
12-17-2006, 19:22
If I may quote a great man..Krusty the Klown, "So, have a Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, Kwazy Kwanza, a Tip-top Tet, and a solemn, dignified Ramadan."......I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season and that the coming year will bring you all nothing but health and happiness and that everyone gets to spend as much time on the trail as they desire.

Lone Wolf
12-17-2006, 20:01
Kwanza is a dreamed up racist holiday. Has nothing to do with Christmas.

Lion King
12-17-2006, 20:10
Kwanza is a dreamed up racist holiday. Has nothing to do with Christmas.

That was for my rastafarian friends Wolf.

Real or not, somebody somewhere is celebrating it.

Lone Wolf
12-17-2006, 20:53
Rastafarians are Jamaicans. They do not like white people. Kwanza was started by an American black man.

Fly By Mike
12-17-2006, 20:58
That was for my rastafarian friends Wolf.

Real or not, somebody somewhere is celebrating it.

Nice sentiment LK and I appreciate your good wishes.

Not sure what Wolf meant but I'm also a little peeved by the PC think of including all of them or reducing them all to nothing with "happy holidays". I'm not a Christian but we celebrate Christmas. So for me its "Merry Christmas" and no offence meant to anyone celebrating anything else. If someone says to me Happy Hanukah.. that's great too. Each to their own.

Lone Wolf
12-17-2006, 21:00
Do the research. Deep research.

copythat
12-17-2006, 21:42
unless i'm reading this wrong, i think lk was sending out warm wishes to all of us, not looking to reignite the alcohol under the brasslite of theological debate.

pc, schmee-cee, have a happy whateveritisyoucelebrate.

and LIGHTEN UP. sheesh.

ed bell
12-17-2006, 22:27
I'm listening to "A Charlie Brown Christmas" by the Vince Guaraldi Trio right now. How about some other time?:D Best Christmas album ever for me.:sun

bfitz
12-18-2006, 00:54
Kwanza was started by an American black man.
Christmas was started by some roman.:p
Whatever you call your celebration, make it a celebration of love.

Sly
12-18-2006, 01:35
Rastafarians are Jamaicans. They do not like white people.

No mon, say that ain't so mon! :p It's been years but I spend two week with a Jamaican family in of all places Jamaica, and got treated like family.

Live if you want to live
Rastaman vibration yeah! Positive
I and I vibration yeah! Positive
I a man Iration yeah! Irie Ites
Positive vibration yeah! Positive

If you get down and quarrel everyday
You're saying prayers to the devil, I say
Why not help another on the way
Make it much easier
Say you just can't live that negative way
You know what I mean
Make way for the positive day

Cause its a new day
New time, new feeling yeah!
Say it's a new sign
Oh what a new day
Picking up.
Are you picking up now
Jah love, Jah love, protect us (Repeat)

Rastaman Vibration yeah! Positive
I and I vibration yeah! Irie Ites
Vibes, got to have a good vibe
Picking up.
Are you picking up now -Bob Marley

attroll
12-18-2006, 02:27
Anyways, Merry Christmas everyone.

Singe03
12-18-2006, 02:28
Its not real easy to research L.Wolf, they bury the truth about Kwanzaa and Ron Karenga pretty deeply.

Happy everything else though everyone !

K0OPG
12-18-2006, 09:18
Just heard something on the radio...Chirstmas is a celebration "originally designed for Christians"...wow...go figure. Maybe now we can understand why some are offended. But because of the love of God, Christianity is offered to all.

So, I hope all have a Merry Christmas and a happy hiking new year.

Sly
12-18-2006, 09:28
Its not real easy to research L.Wolf, they bury the truth about Kwanzaa and Ron Karenga pretty deeply.

Happy everything else though everyone !

It's not hard...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwanzaa

I'll say it the ole fashion way (before PC), Merry Christmas and Seasons Greetings! :banana

Micky
12-18-2006, 09:30
Merry Christmas to all.

I get the best present I could ask for, my son gets to come home for Christmas from the Army.:banana

K0OPG
12-18-2006, 09:36
I agree Mickey...My daughter and her husband (who is in the army) is coming in this christmas. I haven't seen them since June 2005.

D'Artagnan
12-18-2006, 12:19
Happy Festivus! :D (Not that there's anything wrong with that...)

Singe03
12-18-2006, 12:27
Hmmm I stand corrected on the wiki article (not that I really like wikipedia that much), when I looked a while back (many months) it was basically a kwanzaa cheerleading article and a writeup about what a great guy he was.

Almost There
12-18-2006, 13:34
BE happy people!!!

BTW, Christmas is actually based around a pagan holiday involving the winter solstice, this is why some of the imagery would not make sense for something that happened in the middle east. That being said, celebrating with loved ones should never be shot down!

Have a great season!

fishinfred
12-18-2006, 13:53
Happy Holidays Everyone !

Lion King you did a great job on the AT movie ! Put me on your mailing list for when the new one is done .Must have it! GREAT WORK!!!!!!!!!
See ya out there!
PEACE!
Fishinfred

Lilred
12-18-2006, 16:48
Christmas was started by the Catholic church in order to get more pagans into the religion. The Church had stretched it's finances to the limit by taking up more and more land and stretching the church beyond it's means. They needed more catholics in the church to get more money, so they started Christmas and chose the most popular pagan holiday to coincide with their new holiday. It helped bring in more money, basically. Jesus was really born sometime in the spring, when Rome traditionally took it's census.

Interesting how the Catholic Church started a holiday, then made it a 'holy' day, which means it's mandatory for all catholics to attend mass on holy days, where they take up a collection....... you get the picture.

Lilred
12-18-2006, 16:49
Oh and by the way, Merry Christmas everyone!!!

c.coyle
12-18-2006, 17:58
...Interesting how the Catholic Church started a holiday, then made it a 'holy' day, which means it's mandatory for all catholics to attend mass on holy days, where they take up a collection....... you get the picture.

No. What is the picture?

hopefulhiker
12-18-2006, 21:45
Merry Christmas

hopefulhiker
12-18-2006, 21:47
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPY NEW YEAR!

bfitz
12-18-2006, 22:03
http://www.geocities.com/sisteroffortune/Saturnalia.htm

Blissful
12-18-2006, 22:06
Congrats on those with loved ones coming home for the holidays. Hope you have a great visit. A good friend of mine has her eldest son coming home from Iraq for two weeks. She's making bunches of his favorite cookies.

copythat
12-18-2006, 23:13
Christmas was started by the Catholic church in order to get more pagans into the religion. The Church had stretched it's finances to the limit by taking up more and more land and stretching the church beyond it's means. They needed more catholics in the church to get more money, so they started Christmas and chose the most popular pagan holiday to coincide with their new holiday. It helped bring in more money, basically. Jesus was really born sometime in the spring, when Rome traditionally took it's census.

Interesting how the Catholic Church started a holiday, then made it a 'holy' day, which means it's mandatory for all catholics to attend mass on holy days, where they take up a collection....... you get the picture.

clever cross-marketing.

(ahOOOga! holiday perimeter alarm sounding in sector four! cheery facade breached! security respond to report of a cynic in the building!)

bfitz
12-18-2006, 23:52
(ahOOOga! holiday perimeter alarm sounding in sector four! cheery facade breached! security respond to report of a cynic in the building!)What, we can't be both? I'm a patriot and against th.....oh well, forget it....

the goat
12-19-2006, 00:00

actually it's mandatory for catholics to attend mass every sunday.

so much for christmas conspiracy theories, huh?

bfitz
12-19-2006, 00:02
actually it's mandatory for catholics to attend mass every sunday.

so much for christmas conspiracy theories, huh?
Yeah, but Christmas ain't usually on a sunday. That's why it's a holy day of obligation. Bring your wallet again on sunday, though.

the goat
12-19-2006, 00:16
Yeah, but Christmas ain't usually on a sunday. That's why it's a holy day of obligation. Bring your wallet again on sunday, though.

lemme get your position straight then:

catholics celebrate the birth of christ in order to get a 1/53 ratio more money every year?

bfitz
12-19-2006, 00:21
Oh, no....xmas is a bigtime donation, like easter. Back in the day, who knows? I'm sure it wasn't all just financial. The popes were mostly Italian, after all, so who knows what they were up to.

rafe
12-19-2006, 00:44
http://www.geocities.com/sisteroffortune/Saturnalia.htm

Good one, bfitz. Great line from our Unitarian minister a year or two back, around Xmas time... "We put the Saturn back in Saturnalia!"

bfitz
12-19-2006, 00:59
A strange correlation to all of this is in the Norse religion. Oden was the oldest and wisest of the gods. He had a long white beard and on one night, the twenty first of December or solstice, he would lead a hunt from his white horse to seek out evil doers. The howling wind was said to be the shriek of bad children he took! People would leave out grain for his horse and food for the spirits. Santa could be a Viking god in disguise? Don’t tell your Christian friends.

Lone Wolf is Santa!

Butch Cassidy
12-19-2006, 01:56
Merry Christmas everone! I will be working Christmas Eve and Day flying a medical helicopter in Pa but The Sundance Kid and I plan on having a great New Years Eve on Top of Springer. Happy New Year!!! Butch

rafe
12-19-2006, 02:30
Lone Wolf is Santa!

Haha. Close, but no cigar. Actually, I forget who it was that said that Jerry Garcia looked like a cross between Ho Chi Minh and Santa Claus, but I always enjoyed that description of Jerry.

copythat
12-19-2006, 03:07
Haha. Close, but no cigar. Actually, I forget who it was that said that Jerry Garcia looked like a cross between Ho Chi Minh and Santa Claus, but I always enjoyed that description of Jerry.

gives new meaning to the chant "ho, ho, ho chi minh ..."