PDA

View Full Version : Neel's gap to Dick's Creek Gap

bigben
12-18-2006, 00:22
Due to vacation time conflicts, I might need to do this section in a little over 3 days. We'd probably roll into Neel's Gap @ 4pm, hike until just before dark and camp, then need to be at Dick's Creek Gap 3 days later. I ask, how would you break these miles up? I was thinking this.....
Day1: arrive and park at Neel's and hike to Cowrock Mtn and camp
Day2: Cowrock Mtn to Blue Mtn shelter
Day3: Blue Mtn to Tray Mtn shelter
Day4: Tray Mtn to Dick's Creek Gap, stay in Hiawassee
Day5: shuttle back to my truck at Neel's Gap and drive back to Ohio

How would you break it up, in terms of good places to camp and spreading out the big climbs and such? Day 3 gives us the big climb out of Unicoi Gap and the big climb up Tray Mtn. Day 4 gives us the big descent down Tray, the big climb up Kelly Knob and the big descent down to Dick's Creek.

Keep in mind that this is "Plan B." Plan A involves 8 days(2 driving and 6 hiking from Neel's Gap to Standing Indian Campground via the Kimsey Creek trail) but this is 100% dependent on whether I can secure a shift trade at the fire department I work for, and being as we're talking about doing this in May, I won't be able to work the trade out for several months.

Wha tdo you all think?

Bigben

Skidsteer
12-18-2006, 07:28
Due to vacation time conflicts, I might need to do this section in a little over 3 days. We'd probably roll into Neel's Gap @ 4pm, hike until just before dark and camp, then need to be at Dick's Creek Gap 3 days later. I ask, how would you break these miles up? I was thinking this.....
Day1: arrive and park at Neel's and hike to Cowrock Mtn and camp
Day2: Cowrock Mtn to Blue Mtn shelter
Day3: Blue Mtn to Tray Mtn shelter
Day4: Tray Mtn to Dick's Creek Gap, stay in Hiawassee
Day5: shuttle back to my truck at Neel's Gap and drive back to Ohio

How would you break it up, in terms of good places to camp and spreading out the big climbs and such? Day 3 gives us the big climb out of Unicoi Gap and the big climb up Tray Mtn. Day 4 gives us the big descent down Tray, the big climb up Kelly Knob and the big descent down to Dick's Creek.

Keep in mind that this is "Plan B." Plan A involves 8 days(2 driving and 6 hiking from Neel's Gap to Standing Indian Campground via the Kimsey Creek trail) but this is 100% dependent on whether I can secure a shift trade at the fire department I work for, and being as we're talking about doing this in May, I won't be able to work the trade out for several months.

Wha tdo you all think?

Bigben

Looks fine Ben. Makes sense.

Sly
12-18-2006, 08:39
Arrg...... wrong thread

Kerosene
12-18-2006, 10:44
There are a lot of nice campsites between Neel's and Cowrock should you run a little late arriving.
The walk from Cowrock to Blue Mtn. is pretty easy, with the exception of the climb out of Tesnatee Gap and the last 2 miles before Blue Mtn. Shelter where the trail runs over rockslides. There are places to camp before the rockslides start, but fewer opportunities from there to the shelter (unless you hammock!).
Day 3 will be a nice day. The walk down into Unicoi Gap is very easy, and the climb out of the gap will get your heart pumping. The climb up Tray Mtn. starts out fairly easy with the last quarter mile climbing steeply for the summit. I hope you get a view from the top (it was cloudy and drizzling when I went through, but pictures from others looked great).
The climb up Kelly Knob was the only one in Georgia where I had to rest, but it could've been that I was just tired. There is a lovely lookout to the right just before you start the lengthy descent down to Dick's Creek.I did Neel's to Dick's Creek Gap in two 18-mile days in early April 2004 (having warmed up with 3 12-milers out of Amicalola), so you should easily be able to cover with this schedule if the weather cooperates.

orangebug
12-18-2006, 11:07
Looks good. I don't know that I wouldn't do a road walk between Testnatee and Hogpen Gaps, unless you feel a need to sticking to the trail. It is truly a PUD.

And I'd water up at Tray Mtn and expect to get to one of the gaps before Kelly Knob. There is lots of good water between Tray and Kelly Knob.

eventidecu
12-19-2006, 02:10
Travel from Ohio to Ga to do "a road walk" on a section hike? Duh?

eventidecu
12-19-2006, 02:13
"unless you feel the need to STICKING TO THE TRAIL"? Huh!

orangebug
12-19-2006, 08:07
Hike Your Own Hike. I've walked that section a few times, and found the roadwalk a lot more interesting and fun.

Lone Wolf
12-19-2006, 08:25
It's a no-brainer. Take the road. Especially in bad weather.

rafe
12-19-2006, 08:29
Hike Your Own Hike. I've walked that section a few times, and found the roadwalk a lot more interesting and fun.

I don't know about this particular road walk, but I agree in general :). Roadwalks can be a nice break from trees and hills and rocks and roots and swamps and bogs. The "old" AT had lots more roadwalks, and it's gotten to where they've nearly all been elimiinated. Some folks think that's great, but I have some misgivings...

orangebug
12-19-2006, 09:53
Leave the misgivings at home. Unless your life revolves around a goal of a purist 2,000 miler rocker, take the trails that reward and entertain you. Hiking is recreation and a sport - i.e. fun. If you have misgivings about how to have fun, well, you really need to go on a hike.

Almost There
12-19-2006, 10:25
Hike the Road!!! My most enjoyable day in Va. this past summer was hiking on the Blue Ridge Parkway. HYOH!

rafe
12-19-2006, 10:35
Hike the Road!!! My most enjoyable day in Va. this past summer was hiking on the Blue Ridge Parkway. HYOH!

LW is the undisputed king of the Blue Blaze. If you want to know the most scenic alternative to the White Blaze, he's the man.

bigben
12-19-2006, 12:42
Thanks everyone. We'll see which plan pans out. And while I am all for blue blazing and seeing what's there to see, and I don't have any preconceived "purist" intentions, I won't be doing any roadwalking if I can help it. Being an official "2000 miler" doesn't mean jack to me in and of itself, but I do intend to section the entire trail over the next 22 years picking up where I left off in contiguous, NOBO fashion. Then I'll retire and thruhike it.

The way I see it, what's one more hill to hike up, pointless or not? If I had major issues with hiking up hills and mountains or with the AMC's trail layout, I wouldn't be doing this. No one's making me; I just want to do it.

Bigben