PDA

View Full Version : Winter lunches

vaporjourney
12-18-2006, 11:29
All summer I had been taking some whole wheat tortillas (delicious) and spreading either peanut butter or Nutella on them for lunch. After backpacking in the smokies last week, where the temps never rose above freezing, now I have to rethink this strategy. The Nutella was really hard and clumpy, hard to pull out of the jar, and definitely not enjoyable like a nicely spread, soft, Nutella of the summer. I'm wondering what else you guys take for lunches, especially in the colder months.

jlb2012
12-18-2006, 11:34
cubes of cheese and summer sausage work for me - I have also been known to use the bite sized candy bars - something that I can put the whole thing into my mouth so that it warms up enough to chew.

rafe
12-18-2006, 11:34
I find my tastes (in snack food) change as a function of hot/cold. In summer, I want salty, greasy, protein-rich stuff. In cold weather it runs toward sweets. Try some semi-sweet chocolate!

sarbar
12-18-2006, 11:41
Soup!
If dayhiking, I take a small thermos. If backpacking, I just take an easy to do recipe that only needs a couple minutes to sit.
Warms you up, and gets you moving.
Also, doing quesidallas are easy and good. If you have a lid to your pan, warm up the tortillas on it, filled with cheese, maybe meat, or do a hot peanut butter one.

Flying Monkey
12-18-2006, 17:05
Like Hog on Ice, I use cheese and sausage, but I put it between a bagel. I make it before leaving camp, and keep in my jacket, so it doesn't freeze. I can pull it out, and keep on hiking if I want to. I use a cinnamon-raisin bagel for some sweetness, and it works well with the meat and cheese. If the weather might warm up, make sure you use harder sausage to keep it from rotting.