PDA

View Full Version : Need info on Cheap Bus or Train

The Impersonator
12-18-2006, 12:53
Hello-

This is my first new topic. I'm sure this info is probably on this sight somewhere already, so forgive the redundance, but I just haven't found it.

I'm looking to find out where I should go to get a cheap transport, i.e. a bus or train, from MA, (Boston or Providence, RI area) to the beginning of the trail in Georgia for an April 2007 NOBO thru-hike. If I could order my ticket online that'd be cool. I'm looking to keep it hopefully around $80-ish. If you know of a company or websight, that's what I'm looking for.

Any specific recommendations gladly accepted!

Thanks,

Aurin

file:///C:/IBMTools/My%20Documents/AURIN.gif

"We have not seen the Orin in a veeery looooooong tiiiiiiiime..." -The Neverending Story

Lone Wolf
12-18-2006, 13:08
I checked Greyhound and they want $165.00 from Fall River to Gainesville, Ga.

Lone Wolf
12-18-2006, 13:11
I checked Greyhound and they want $165.00 from Fall River to Gainesville, Ga.

I checked AMTRAK and they want $248.00

Frosty
12-18-2006, 14:00
Check AMTRAK.COM for train, GREYHOUND.COM for bus. You can buy tickets on line.

Fares vary by day and change periodically, especially AMTRAK. Fares could vary by fifty or a hundred dollars just by changing day of trip. It depends on how many seats they have left.

Greyhound fares are cheaper if you buy them seven days in advance. I forget the refund policy.

AMTRAK fares are fully refundable up to a week (IIRC) before the trip.

Hope this helps.

rafe
12-18-2006, 14:14
I'm looking to find out where I should go to get a cheap transport, i.e. a bus or train, from MA, (Boston or Providence, RI area) to the beginning of the trail in Georgia for an April 2007 NOBO thru-hike. If I could order my ticket online that'd be cool. I'm looking to keep it hopefully around $80-ish. If you know of a company or websight, that's what I'm looking for.[/COLOR]

I went to www.cheaptickets.com. I plugged in 3/15/07 as a date for a one-way flight from Boston to Atlanta. US Airways will take you there for $114. AirTran and United will take you for $134, and the United flight is even non-stop. (The cheap flight has one stop in Philly.)

highway
12-18-2006, 14:50
And from Atlanta airport, take the MARTA train to their northernmost stop for a few dollars and have Josh from HikerHostal meet you and take you back to either his hostal for the night and trail the next morning or directly to the trail as he did for me a couple of years ago

highway
12-18-2006, 14:53
Here is the link to the Hiker Hostal:

http://www.hikerhostel.com/

Call them for rates and services. I only used them once but he met me when he said he would, gave me 8 oz alcohol (not drinking kind) and took me to Amicalola.
I'd recommend him.

Footslogger
12-18-2006, 14:54
And from Atlanta airport, take the MARTA train to their northernmost stop for a few dollars and have Josh from HikerHostal meet you and take you back to either his hostal for the night and trail the next morning or directly to the trail as he did for me a couple of years ago
===================================

Highway ...you remember what he charged you for that shuttle ??

Thanks,

'Slogger

highway
12-18-2006, 15:04
===================================

Highway ...you remember what he charged you for that shuttle ??

Thanks,

'Slogger

I just copied from my notes for my upcoming trip:

WWW.HIKERHOSTEL.COM in Dahlonega, Georgia [email protected] [770-312-7342] For $55.00 ($62/’06) Josh picks you up, bring you to their place for an overnight in their hostel, feed you, & after breakfast, take you to an outfitter for last minute items and bring you to the trail. . Both host and hostess of this hostel have Thru-Hiked the AT in '00 and may be a valuable resource for last minute advice.” Take the Marta North Line (toward the city of Dunwoody) to the North Springs Station. After you go through the turnstiles, wait in that open area and one of us will be watching for you.”

So, it was $55.00 in 2004 and now it has gone up to $62.00. But it was only about 1400 or 1500 so I opted to start my hike and slept at the shelter before Springer, Black Gap, getting there before dark, fairly easy hike. Water was downhill though.

Footslogger
12-18-2006, 15:09
I just copied from my notes for my upcoming trip:

WWW.HIKERHOSTEL.COM (http://WWW.HIKERHOSTEL.COM) in Dahlonega, Georgia [email protected] [770-312-7342] For $55.00 ($62/’06) Josh picks you up, bring you to their place for an overnight in their hostel, feed you, & after breakfast, take you to an outfitter for last minute items and bring you to the trail. . Both host and hostess of this hostel have Thru-Hiked the AT in '00 and may be a valuable resource for last minute advice.” Take the Marta North Line (toward the city of Dunwoody) to the North Springs Station. After you go through the turnstiles, wait in that open area and one of us will be watching for you.”

So, it was $55.00 in 2004 and now it has gone up to $62.00. But it was only about 1400 or 1500 so I opted to start my hike and slept at the shelter before Springer, Black Gap, getting there before dark, fairly easy hike. Water was downhill though.
==================================

Do I understand correctly that the $62 includes the shuttle, overnight stay, breakfast the next morning and then a ride out to the trail ??

'Slogger

highway
12-18-2006, 15:11
==================================

Do I understand correctly that the $62 includes the shuttle, overnight stay, breakfast the next morning and then a ride out to the trail ??

'Slogger

Yep. Its a heck of a deal.

highway
12-18-2006, 15:12
Plus a little alcohol (gas too??)to get you to neels Gap:D

Footslogger
12-18-2006, 15:30
Yep. Its a heck of a deal.

===========================

You're darn skippy it is !! Used to live north of Atlanta and know that commute quite well. I've got friends who live in the area who will put me up and drive me up to FS42 the next morning but if not ...that'd probably be my choice if I was flying into the Atlanta airport to start the trail.

'Slogger

Jack Tarlin
12-18-2006, 20:25
Another possibility, Orin, since it's awhile til April is to try and find other folks in your area who'll be driving south at that time of year, who may welcome company and also welcome help paying for expenses. It HAS to be cheaper than the bus or Trail and would probably make for a more pleasant trip.

One idea: Maybe Troll can start a very simple "Ride Board" thread where folks who are interested in sharing driving/travel expenses can post their locations, hoped-for destinations, and approximate starting times; this'd be a good way for folks to find other people in their area who might want to share expenses as they head South. This would work out well for both those seeking transportation, and those already planning to make the trip who might be looking for help paying expenses.

Frosty
12-18-2006, 21:17
One idea: Maybe Troll can start a very simple "Ride Board" thread where folks who are interested in sharing driving/travel expenses can post their locations, hoped-for destinations, and approximate starting times; this'd be a good way for folks to find other people in their area who might want to share expenses as they head South. This would work out well for both those seeking transportation, and those already planning to make the trip who might be looking for help paying expenses.This is an awesome idea, and not just fro thruhike starts, either. Last year Sly hooked me up with Rockdancer for a ride to SORUCK. We camped out on the way down, stayed at Kincora, had a great time at the ruck, had company for the long ride, and the transportation cost each of us half what it would have been separately. Can't beat sharing rides with other hikers.

Appalachian Tater
12-18-2006, 22:10
If you can go at spring break there's always a bulletin board on college campuses for ride shares.

highway
12-19-2006, 06:56
Another possibility, Orin, since it's awhile til April is to try and find other folks in your area who'll be driving south at that time of year, who may welcome company and also welcome help paying for expenses. It HAS to be cheaper than the bus or Trail and would probably make for a more pleasant trip.

One idea: Maybe Troll can start a very simple "Ride Board" thread where folks who are interested in sharing driving/travel expenses can post their locations, hoped-for destinations, and approximate starting times; this'd be a good way for folks to find other people in their area who might want to share expenses as they head South. This would work out well for both those seeking transportation, and those already planning to make the trip who might be looking for help paying expenses.

Excellent idea. Strange that it in some variant has not been considered earlier.

It could be separated into "Approximate dates leaving" and/or "From/to" so one wouldnt have to wade through older, completed or inappropriate postings.

The Impersonator
12-19-2006, 14:14
Wow, I really picked the right websight for this.

Thanks for the feedback everybody. That carpool thread sounds like a damn good move, if it's organized by location, destination, and timeframe.

In the meantime, I'll be keeping an eye on Greyhound and Amtrak for any deals they have going on.

Thanks again!

Jack Tarlin
12-19-2006, 17:33
Orin--

One other thing I forgot to mention yesterday.....both Greyhound and Amtrak have programs in place where it's MUCH cheaper to purchase a ticket if you do so well in advance, so if you think you're going to end up travelling by bus or train, it would be in your best interest to check this out; I still think it'd be cheaper and more fun to find other folks heading south by car, but you might be able to get a good deal on a bus/train ticket if you can find an "advance purchase" discount ticket.

Heater
12-19-2006, 19:02
Wow, I really picked the right websight for this.

Thanks for the feedback everybody. That carpool thread sounds like a damn good move, if it's organized by location, destination, and timeframe.

In the meantime, I'll be keeping an eye on Greyhound and Amtrak for any deals they have going on.

Thanks again!

Craigslist has a rideshare section too.

clickity
http://boston.craigslist.org/rid/

:D

cutman11
12-19-2006, 19:26
I have used shuttlers (most based out of trail outfitters along the trail) for section hikes, and there is a ?sometimes updated shuttler list on the ATC site, but I would agree that potential rides obtained using a "Whiteblaze rideboard" would be a nice option, especially because there might be some of our whiteblaze members who dont wish to be "professional shuttlers" but might be able to do one now and then if the timing and location were right for them. It would be really cool to get to meet and talk in person with some who you know from multiple posts here in the AT forums.

Appalachian Tater
12-21-2006, 13:15
Save $20 on $20 or more purchase on Greyhound. Use coupon code URBAN. Offer expires 12/31/2006. www.greyhound.com (http://www.greyhound.com)

Old Grouse
12-21-2006, 15:49
Does the "Chinses bus" serve Fall River? If not, pick it up at Foxwoods or Boston and take it to NYC or Wash DC and Amtrak from there. You'll save a little and probably have a story to tell about your wild ride to boot.