PDA

View Full Version : Backpack Comparison Chart Update

Roland
12-18-2006, 18:33
Two years ago, I created a backpack comparison chart (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=95858#post95858), and posted it on Whiteblaze. The purpose of the chart was to list all of the packs commonly recommended by WB members and to provide basic information about each pack, so that a comparison could be made at-a-glance. This was my answer to the perenial question, "What is the best pack for an AT thru-hike?".

As models come and go, the chart has become outdated. I need your help to update the information.

What pack do you recommend for an AT thru-hike? If you hiked the Trail and can strongly recommend the pack you used, please post it here.

Please limit your recommendations to pack models that are still in production. It could be frustrating to prospective buyers, to be steered towards models that are no longer available.

Thanks for your help.

copythat
12-18-2006, 21:02
check your pm's for some misc. stuff.

thanks.

Roland
12-18-2006, 21:18
check your pm's for some misc. stuff.

thanks.

I received your PM, copythat. Thanks for your input.

Apparently, copythat recently created a similar chart, to help narrow down his pack selection. He suggests that my chart be made available for download, so users could sort the information according to weight, capacity, cost, etc. I think that's a good idea, and I would be happy to make the updated spreadsheet available as an attachment.

But I need to know what pack models WB members recommend...

hopefulhiker
12-18-2006, 21:41
I used the luxury lite external frame pack for my thru in 2005. Cylinders can be configured for volume, has a front pack, one size fits all. weighs about 2 lb.External frame takes most of the weight off shoulders; wateproof; no need for pack cover. has optional seat pad. can use one cylinder as a bear bag. Lifetime warrenty. available at luxurylite.com

map man
12-18-2006, 23:33
Roland, thank you for doing this -- it's one of the most useful things in the articles section, I think, and keeping it updated, with all the frequent model changes, must be a chore.

I would like to second the things Hopefulhiker has to say about the LuxuryLite pack, though I haven't thru-hiked the AT with it like he has (though I have gone the length of the SHT with it:D). Having a light external frame option on your list seems like a good idea. Also, a couple packs I have been reading about lately here at WhiteBlaze are the Osprey Atmos 65 and Atmos 50, though I don't have any experience with them.

Roland
12-19-2006, 06:29
Thanks for your feedback, hopefulhiker & mapman. The Luxury Lite will certainly be added to the list.

I, too, hear good things about Osprey packs. If anyone has experience with and can endorse a specific model, I'd like to hear it.