PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Ins. Air Core Wayyy too much work

the_iceman
12-18-2006, 20:40
Man, I love Big Agnes products but I got the insulated air core mat and that thing is a pain in the neck to blow up. I got it for the weight but I just blew it up for the 5th time and never want to do it again much less 150 or 160 more times.

This is one of those times that saving the extra ounces IMHO is just not worth it. I am finding something else unless someone has a 2.5 ounce air pump.

It is really nice and comfy once you get over the dizzy spell and spots in front of your eyes. I figure the bottled oxygen I will have to carry to compensate is not worth it.

Any other suggestions for a old side sleeper with bad shoulders?

Hammerhead
12-18-2006, 21:17
Not what I wanted to hear since I think Santa is bringing me one. What about a Hinman or a Two Track self inflating pad?

jlb2012
12-18-2006, 21:20
I use an air pump with home made adapter - probably 5 ounces or so - the pump is from Coglans : http://www.acron.sk/coghlans/imag_c08/9686.jpg

Frosty
12-18-2006, 21:23
Man, I love Big Agnes products but I got the insulated air core mat and that thing is a pain in the neck to blow up. I got it for the weight but I just blew it up for the 5th time and never want to do it again much less 150 or 160 more times.21 puffs fill it for me. It is slightly deflated but body heat expands the air and finishes the job.

If you can sleep on something less cushy, you can save the five-six minutes (and 21 puffs) it takes to blow it up, but for those of us with arthritis, there isn't another pad on the market to compare. The 2.5" thermorest is also okay for my hip, but not as good at the Big Agnes and the Thermorest weighs about 4 pounds.

Hammerhead
12-18-2006, 21:25
I use an air pump with home made adapter - probably 5 ounces or so - the pump is from Coglans : http://www.acron.sk/coghlans/imag_c08/9686.jpg

How long does it take you to inflate your pad? I'm asking because I may have to buy that pump!

jlb2012
12-18-2006, 21:28
not too long but I have never timed it - maybe 3-5 minutes

jlb2012
12-18-2006, 21:29
opps I forgot to say that I use a different pad that the Big Agnes - I use an Exped Downmat 9 - I am just guessing that it is similar volume

hopefulhiker
12-18-2006, 21:30
I used one the whole trail. Yes I did hyperventilate a few times but it was well worth it. And no, I would not add 5 oz for a pump. I do think that the Big A had a leak problem though..

Roland
12-18-2006, 21:31
I agree with Frosty. My wife uses the BA pad (short) and loves it. She found that it's more comfortable when underinflated, so save yourself a few breaths and try it that way before posting it on eBay.

Hammerhead
12-18-2006, 21:33
not too long but I have never timed it - maybe 3-5 minutes

Not bad, and at least your not seeing spots when your all done! Thanks for the link, I'll be ordering one soon!

jlb2012
12-18-2006, 21:37
check your local outfitter - they may have it in stock - at least that is where I found mine at Rockfish Gap Outfitter.

Blissful
12-18-2006, 22:01
The only thing I dislike is the leaking after multiple use. We plan to return to REI and exchange for another (I really like it except for that). Glad someone else made it on a thru without that problem. Hope the new ones out now are better quality or I'm switching to an insulmat.

rafe
12-18-2006, 22:02
Can't help you here, boys. Next time, try a Thermarest. :) About three puffs and it's good to go. And I'm a smoker ;).

halftime
12-18-2006, 22:23
I am finding something else unless someone has a 2.5 ounce air pump.

Not sure how well this would work. For blowing up balloons.
http://www.tmyers.com/pump/squeeze.html

briarpatch
12-18-2006, 23:25
I agree with Frosty, too. For use on the ground, it takes me 27 puffs , for use in a hammock, it takes 20. It well worth the effort, for sleeping on the ground. I've switched to an underquilt for the hammock, but still carry the BA when I might have to go to ground. It sure beats a thermarest for comfort on a shelter floor.

Blissful
12-18-2006, 23:31
I agree with Frosty, too. For use on the ground, it takes me 27 puffs , for use in a hammock, it takes 20.

I'll have to admit, I've never counted how many puffs it takes for me to blow up mine! But with all that exercise on the trail, we should have pretty good lungs to blow up a BA. But it can be a pain when you're tired. It can be a pain to deflate too and pack into that tiny bag though I think I have that mastered, finally, where to fold it, etc.

the_iceman
12-19-2006, 08:17
I agree, you cannot beat the comfort except for maybe my wife's thermarest camprest but who want's to carry 4 lbs and another pack just for the pad.

I am working on blowing it up a little when I set up the tent. Then a little while cooking, then finish it off to sleep.

I will have to count the puffs. I am so full of hot air I expected it to be easier:D

mrc237
12-19-2006, 08:50
Agree with you Ice take thy time its worth the work for 15 min blowup time for 8 hrs comfy sleep. The BA insul. has some leak problems (hopefully resolved now) heres the thread:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16878

Frosty
12-19-2006, 10:04
I'll have to admit, I've never counted how many puffs it takes for me to blow up mine! Pure laziness on my part. I found that I was letting out a lot of air after I got into my sleeping bag and it seemed wasteful to blow it up and then open the valve to release pressure.

Because of my hip, I like to have as much support as possible. I quickly figured out that if I had the pad blown up very tight, and it deflected very little when I lay down on it, then I wasn't getting full benefit of its glorious thickness. (If the pad only deflects a half inch, I might as well be using a half inch pad.)

So when I first lay down, I let out enough air that (laying on my side) my hip just touches the ground (or shelter floor). As the air inside the bag warms up due to body heat, the bag "inflates" a little more and it is perfect.

I also found deflating the bag in the morning to be the biggest chore. I use it as the structure of my pack (Gossamer Gear Mariposa) so it must be folded to fit into a pocket in the back. I can't tell you the exact folds I make because now I kind of do it automatically, but I have learned to do it so it fits the pack pocket perfectly.

vaporjourney
12-20-2006, 15:35
I have the same problem with the Pacific Outdoor Equipment insulated mat. It's 2.5" and really comfy once setup, but I absolutely hate blowing it up, and then deflating. I actually think it takes longer to get all of the air out, even when using my knee to help push it out and folding in half. Very frustrating.

Can anyone verify that 2.5" mat helps keep you a lot warmer than a 1.5" mat? I really like the POE products, and would consider a thinner mat because of the inflating issue. As long as my hip doesn't hit the ground, I'd be good to go. Just don't wanna risk warmth if it really does make a difference.

the_iceman
12-20-2006, 18:53
I think you will find that the self-inflating mats offer more of an “R” factor than the ones you blow up because the “self-inflation” feature is a by product of foam insulation. You pay for that insulation and convenience with weight.

What the big thick 2.5 inch babies get you is comfort because your hip will float above the ground. They also tend to be lighter because except for a token amount of insulation they are filled with the air you supply. Every dizzying, spots-before-my-eyes, breath provides that extra comfort. However, air is not a great insulator so air only pads are not so great for cold weather.

rafe
12-20-2006, 22:57
However, air is not a great insulator so air only pads are not so great for cold weather.

Still air is an excellent insulator. But in an air mattress (with no "fill") the air can flow from hot to cold and so you lose heat. Air trapped in foam can't move (or, not so much) and so it insulates. Closed-cell foam pads are even better for insulation, but don't offer much comfort -- and don't compress for sh1t.

generoll
12-21-2006, 09:35
FWIW, I love my BA. The old bones need more cushioning as I get older and my Thermarest just didn't seem to cut it anymore. I open my valve upon awakening and by the time I'm finished with breakfast and packing my sleeping bag the pad is pretty well deflated. After I fold the sides in to make it fit the stuff sack and start to roll it there's only a little air left and it's easily expelled. When and if I get the cash I'm thinking about buying a BA sleeping bag which has a bottom pocket for the pad which ought to go a long ways towards protecting the pad from leak causing objects. No leaks yet, by the way.