PDA

View Full Version : looking for non-see-through long underwear

1Pint
12-18-2006, 21:18
Just received my Campmor Terramar Thermasilk 100% pure silk underwear.... Problem? The tops and bottoms are not just 100% silk, but they are 100% see-through. I mean, completely! As in: you can see the color of the stitching on my bra. And I'd even bought black so that it wouldn't show dirt.

So, ladies.... any suggestions for some light in weight but effective layering items? I have a set of capilene that I like. Should I just stick with that?

Blissful
12-18-2006, 21:55
I have the same thing but they are very warm in a sleeping bag and as a base layer (they are far too chilly to wear by themselves anyway). And you can't beat the weight. I just plan to throw stuff over them if I have to dash out to use the tree or the privy in the middle of the night (like my rain gear). Other than that, I will wear a layer over them anyway.

Michele
12-18-2006, 22:37
I use patagonia mid-weight thermals...definitely not see through. Man...good thing you tried on your gear before hitting the trail...I can only imagine the trailnames they'd try to give you! :D

Hammock Hanger
12-18-2006, 23:21
I have used the silks as a base layer and to sleep. If you think that you are gong to want to sit around the hostel, laudromat, shelter then try the darker colored "silk weight" ones from Patagonia or the midwt.

I loved my black silk weight ones, they were actaully stolen off the hook outside my shower in a campground. Thay were stinky as all hell but I guess someone wanted them bad. They were $70. for the set. I was pisssssst.

Spirit Walker
12-19-2006, 00:51
REI sells nice light or mid-weight thermals. If you can afford them, then get Patagonia. Silk is not as warm as polypro.

1Pint
12-19-2006, 09:40
Yeah, the trail names people would have come up with at the sight of such revealing undergarments would be scary. I shudder.

I called my mom last night since she's the reason I bought the silk set. She'd recently taken a long trip and raved about the warmth and light weight of her silk. She believes she bought her base silk from LL Bean, so I'll shop the Patagonia, REI & LL Bean's web sites and see if I can find any good deals in the next weeks.

Thanks,
Laura

highway
12-19-2006, 11:09
call Rebecca at Base Camp Outlet 321.639.7151, she sells the silk long underwear at a great price, and would be sympathetic. I once bought black(male) silk tops, bottoms and it was thin, light, but not see-through. I doubt I'd want what you have either. I dont even use mine anymore.

Mammoth
12-19-2006, 12:03
The men's synthetic thermals at Target are currently in sales. I don't know if there are womens. I just got a pair of the men's bottoms in a midweight, only about $9, and they are navy blue which is a nice change from black. I like them better than my REI ones because the waist band is softer and stretchier, it doesn't have as much of a plastic-y ridge at the top so it's nicer on the skin beneath a hip belt. They are also lower rise, so you don't end up pulling them up to your shoulders. :p They aren't see through either, but they are probably a lot more ichy than silk. Even so, they are cheap enough to try.

mindi
12-19-2006, 16:55
I noticed the same thing when I tried on my base layer bottoms. I guess I'm going to have to keep my shorts on!

Wonder
12-19-2006, 21:24
I like the EMS bergalene and holofiber johns.....can't see thru them!

Blissful
12-19-2006, 21:59
I noticed the same thing when I tried on my base layer bottoms. I guess I'm going to have to keep my shorts on!

Not sure why someone would want to sit around the camp in their silk underwear or any underwear (and I'm freezing in my silk without anything over them! It defeats the purpose of using them if you don't wear something over them). That's why I love my Moving Comfort tights that I hike in, in cold weather (got them at campmor). And I got a pair of Patagonia fleece pants for camp, half price at an outdoor shop. The silk is just my base layer, like the name says, to wear under stuff at camp for warmth. Or for inside my sleeping bag, like PJs. I tried them out on my last hiking trip and loved them.

ramblinman
12-19-2006, 22:34
hot chilis. best base layer. period. regardless of sex.