PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Tarptent "Rainbow" ?

rafe
12-18-2006, 21:57
I just got mine today and set it up in the basement, using trekking poles. I gotta say I'm nervous about the design but will withold judgement for now -- until I've tested it in "real" conditions or heard back from the folks at Tarptent about some of my concerns.

I will say that if it works, it's a tremendous amount of floor space and headroom for a 32 oz. tent. And it is (more or less) free-standing.

Has anyone here actually used one of these? If so, I'd love to hear your comments.

Appalachian Tater
12-18-2006, 22:07
Why do you think it wouldn't "work"? What kind of problems do you expect?? Did you seam seal it? I slept in mine at least 120 times on my thru-hike.

Just don't expect it to protect you from bears.

trailwalker
12-18-2006, 22:21
terrapin too, believe you will really enjoy your tarptent. I do not have the rainbow, but I do have the squall 2, and love it. Its light to carry, quick to put up and like you noted this one has plenty of room. Back in mid November while hiking on the Ala. Pinhoti trail, it started raining around 7 in the evening and poured down all night long, with the wind howling. next morning I finally had to get going in the rain, but my squall had never leaked at all. Enjoy your rainbow!!! happy hiking Trailwalkerhttp://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

rafe
12-18-2006, 22:22
Why do you think it wouldn't "work"? What kind of problems do you expect?? Did you seam seal it? I slept in mine at least 120 times on my thru-hike.

Just don't expect it to protect you from bears.

I just got it today, so it's never been outside. I've got it set up in my basement using trekking poles. So you have one and used it on your thru? The Rainbow, right? If so, that's very encouraging... maybe we should talk.

Mostly I'm worried about wind stability and performance in wind-driven rain. I'm very confused about the proper guying and setup of the vestibule side of the tent.

Blade
12-18-2006, 22:23
Has anyone here actually used one of these? If so, I'd love to hear your comments.

I have one, and used it a couple times last year. Both times I was fortunate(?) enough to be caught in a thunderstorm.

The first time I was flooded because I setup in sunshine, then didn't retighten before bed. The sides were too loose & floppy, and rain came in (it WAS blowing almost horizontal). Painful learning curve for me, but that first time was just an overnight at a local campground with the scouts, so no harm done.

The second storm was fine, no problem. Four days at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, and by pulling the sides tight, there was no sag and the floor was protected. I didn't have any problems with condensation, and with all the ventilation I don't expect much.

Lots & lots of room ... I'm looking forward to using it more this summer. It is my shelter of choice when not in a hammock.

rafe
12-18-2006, 22:37
Hmmm... I ordered the model with the "Extended sewn in floor" -- mostly because that one was in stock and the "regular" model is "on order." I wonder if that was a mistake. Given the huge amount of floor space on this thing, I think I'd rather have the the walls of the floor tub farther from the edges of the tent (and have the tub walls be higher also.) I'll have to speak to the Tarptent folks about that...

Blade
12-18-2006, 22:48
The problem I had the first time was caused by my bad pitch ... but by all means check it out with them and get comfortable with your decision. Henry Shires is active on many different hiking boards, and both he and Tarptent have a reputation for great customer service.

orangebug
12-18-2006, 23:26
Sectioned hiked with it as a "honeymoon suite" north of Damascus back in early August. While it was dry and very warm, we did have significant condensation each night. However, none more than I would expect from any single wall tent/tarp in the humidity and having 2 warm bodies.

I have not gotten to experience rain in it. I plan for a little walk around Standing Indian next week, and I am debating bringing it versus my PeaPod hammock.

Appalachian Tater
12-18-2006, 23:39
Always used my poles AND staked it out as well, as tight as possible. As far as the front vestibule, the purpose of the long piece of line eluded me, and so I staked the vestibule down to the ground, tight.

After a few weeks I figured out there are loops at each corner of the floor on the outside to go on the ends of the poles to stretch the floor out flat. If it rains you loop the walls of the floor up on the inside to create the "bathtub".

I had posted here before that I never had a problem but now remember that once in the Whites on a platform I didn't stake down the vestibule, just let the fly hang loose, and there was hard rain and heavy winds, and it blew up and open and some of my stuff got wet because I didn't wake up for a while. That was my fault. The vent never leaked but I was careful to adjust the wire in the vent beak/hood and closed the inside flaps if it rained. Set up the door away from the driving rain.

If you have a slippery pad you might want to put some stripes of silicone on the floor and I tied little loops of line on the zippers to make them easier to open. Something I wish I had done was sew some little alligator clips or velcro loops to the inside in a couple of places to hang socks from.

The tent itself is very stable in the wind. The arch and hiking poles makes a pretty tough structure.

No tarptent is going to be 100% waterproof under all conditions but it's two pounds. Those five pound tents people carried weren't 100% waterproof under all conditions, either.

You don't need a groundsheet, the floor is tough. It's pretty good at keeping water out--once I woke up in a meadow that had turned into a swimming pool overnight but the water hadn't gotten inside. It eventually soaked through but I had time to pack up my stuff and it didn't get wet.

If you can set it up outdoors and test it with a water hose or in the rain, do it for practice.

You'll be very happy with your Rainbow.

rafe
12-19-2006, 00:13
No tarptent is going to be 100% waterproof under all conditions but it's two pounds. Those five pound tents people carried weren't 100% waterproof under all conditions, either.

Well, I've never gotten wet in 18 years of hiking with a 3.0 lb. Eureka Gossamer. But a pound saved is a pound off my back.

You'll be very happy with your Rainbow.

If I keep it, I sure hope so. I think I need to call the Tarptent folks tomorrow and have a little chat.

How far up do the floor tub walls go in your tent, Tater? Mine go up maybe 2 inches at most. Did you ever get wind-swept rain coming in under the vestibule?

When you pitch it in wind, do you set it with the long axis aligned with the wind, or with the vestibule away from the wind? The 1st option would seem safer from wind, but less dry than the 2nd.

UCONNMike
12-19-2006, 01:35
I just got mine today and set it up in the basement, using trekking poles. I gotta say I'm nervous about the design but will withold judgement for now -- until I've tested it in "real" conditions or heard back from the folks at Tarptent about some of my concerns.
I will say that if it works, it's a tremendous amount of floor space and headroom for a 32 oz. tent. And it is (more or less) free-standing.

I asked for one of tehse bad boys for Christmas and I'm pretty confident that it'll be under the tree. so i'll let you know on the 25th.

rafe
12-19-2006, 02:38
Got an email from Henry Shires about half an hour ago. I ran back down to the basement, set up the tent properly this time (in about 5 minutes flat) and almost all of my concerns have been addressed. WOW! That's some service! I'm seriously impressed.

There's a new question I've asked of Henry, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep this tent, or possibly exchange it for the "regular" (vs. "extended floor") version of the Rainbow. So, far, I'm super impressed with Tarptent service -- and I've owned the tent for all of 12 hours :) :) :).

Appalachian Tater
12-19-2006, 08:40
The walls go up more than 2 inches, around 3 inches probably, but I can't get to it to see. I think it's better to put the vestibule away from the wind if it's raining. Wouldn't want to set it up in such an unsheltered place where I had to worry about which way to align it for dry wind---ask Henry Shires about that. The only problem with rain was my fault as discussed above. Since you have experience with tents you should stay dry. I had to learn everything the hard way.

rafe
12-19-2006, 08:52
I've used a lot of tents but I haven't had to rely on a single-walled tent since I was a brat. The Rainbow is much larger than the tiny Eureka Gossamer that I'm so used to... Not just a bigger footprint but also a lot taller. Common sense says that wind will be more of an issue. It's not just a tent... it's a sail.

Footslogger
12-19-2006, 09:45
Common sense says that wind will be more of an issue. It's not just a tent... it's a sail.
===============================

True ...but unless you camp on an exposed bald or above tree line in the Whites you aren't very likely to experience very high sustained winds on the AT. Just stake your corners and vestibule well and I seriously doubt you'll have any problems. Much more likely that you'll get caught in serious rain ...so be sure and seal them seams !!

'Slogger

rafe
12-19-2006, 10:13
....unless you camp on an exposed bald or above tree line in the Whites you aren't very likely to experience very high sustained winds on the AT.

Mostly true... but my 2nd or 3rd night out from Springer was exactly one of those "high sustained winds" situations. IIRC it was somewhere near Jarrard Gap... a really wild night. Freezing rain to boot. Maybe not the smartest place to camp, but I was wet and tired and maybe not thinking all that well at the time.. ;) [It was a few miles north of the blue-blaze to Suches and a few miles south of Blood Mtn.]

Big Dawg
12-19-2006, 10:47
I have the double rainbow and have had no problems in the 10+ outings since purchasing it. It truely is an awesome lightweight design.

Buckles
12-19-2006, 13:40
I'm a big fan. I had a Squall 2 and liked it. Then, I bought the Double Rainbow. I love this tent! The clip-in liner is pretty awesome. About a month ago (early November), I camped at Cooper Gap, north of Springer. The wind was really howling that night. The DR was not even buffeted or battered. And Henry....he's da bomb!

UCONNMike
12-26-2006, 23:33
Got an email from Henry Shires about half an hour ago. I ran back down to the basement, set up the tent properly this time (in about 5 minutes flat) and almost all of my concerns have been addressed. WOW! That's some service! I'm seriously impressed.

There's a new question I've asked of Henry, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep this tent, or possibly exchange it for the "regular" (vs. "extended floor") version of the Rainbow. So, far, I'm super impressed with Tarptent service -- and I've owned the tent for all of 12 hours :) :) :).

So what was it that made it work better for you? i got mine yesterday for christmas, it was also the extended floor model, and i seem to be having similar problems. i set it up with treking poles and the tub floor on mine comes up about an inch, two tops, and the screen walls dip down over the tub floor. it looks totally swet and i'm excited to own it, but I am as sceptical as you seem to have been, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

rafe
12-26-2006, 23:55
[This info also PM'd to UCONNMike]

The main mistake I made was not seeing that the arch pole really does fit into a sleeve. Ie., I didn't see the sleeve -- I had convinced myself there wasn't a sleeve, but there really was. Because of that, the beak of the vestibule was way too far off the ground.

I still wish the floor were inset more, relative to the sides. I haven't pitched the tent outdoors yet, but it did seem to have a nice shape to it, when I set it up in the basement with trekking poles.

You might want to address your concerns to Tarptent ([email protected]) -- when I did that I got a prompt and helpful response from Henry Shires, each time. If you do that, please share what you learn with us. thanks!

Haiku
12-27-2006, 12:42
I used my Rainbow Tarptent on my 2006 PCT thru-hike. It not only worked great to keep out both rain and mosquitoes, but it is also roomy enough to sleep two (if those two are friendly). No problems at all with this tent, and I'll use it again every chance I get.

Haiku.

rafe
12-27-2006, 15:04
FWIW, here's a link (http://www.terrapinphoto.com/tarptent/) to a several photos of the Rainbow set up in my back yard. A few of the pix are from inside the tent. My only remaining concern with it (at this point) is the wimpy "bathtub" floor... the fact that it's really not much of a "tub" at all. I'm hoping for rain while it's set up, so that I can test this.

hshires
12-28-2006, 15:44
FWIW, here's a link (http://www.terrapinphoto.com/tarptent/) to a several photos of the Rainbow set up in my back yard. A few of the pix are from inside the tent. My only remaining concern with it (at this point) is the wimpy "bathtub" floor... the fact that it's really not much of a "tub" at all. I'm hoping for rain while it's set up, so that I can test this.

Terrapin_too,

As near as I can tell from looking at your photos, a big problem with the floor is that you still need the tension the 4 corners. That's what the elastic shockcord loops are for. Pull those out from under the floor and loop over your stakes. The floor will get nice and taut. Then use the interior clips and loops to bring up the rim of the floor walls. Let me know if you can't get it to work.

Thanks.

-H

rafe
12-28-2006, 16:35
Terrapin_too,

As near as I can tell from looking at your photos, a big problem with the floor is that you still need the tension the 4 corners. That's what the elastic shockcord loops are for. Pull those out from under the floor and loop over your stakes. The floor will get nice and taut. Then use the interior clips and loops to bring up the rim of the floor walls. Let me know if you can't get it to work.

Thanks.

-H

No, thank you. I definitely did forget those. I'll have another shot at it tomorrow and report back. Thanks again, Henry.

Appalachian Tater
12-28-2006, 21:31

Man, those pics made me homesick for my Rainbow Tarptent! I miss it. 8-(

Took me a couple of weeks to figure out about stretching the floor out with the elastic loops at the corners, as I said above. It's in the instructions but somehow I missed that line and didn't notice the little loops.

Appalachian Tater
12-28-2006, 21:32
Oh, and the bathtub floor works great, but don't set your tent up in a puddle.

rafe
12-28-2006, 21:35
Man, those pics made me homesick for my Rainbow Tarptent! I miss it. 8-(

What happened to it?? :(

Appalachian Tater
12-28-2006, 21:40
Well, I mean I miss sleeping in it. I still have it, packed away. I should get it out and set it up in my apartment this weekend. It is freestanding, after all. I was always so safe and happy inside it!

Don't worry, you'll love it, too. I researched every tent on the market before buying mine and the Rainbow is the best design out there for anything anywhere near as lightweight.

Haiku
12-29-2006, 04:11
I've slept in mine indoors since getting back from my thru-hike!

Haiku.

Franco
12-29-2006, 06:05
Haiku
repeat after me, Hi My name is Andrew and I am a Tarptent addict............

Terrapin as well
My name is Raphael and I am lucky enough to have a backyard.
Recently I suggested to another Tarptent owner to practice in his backyard, turns out that he lives in an apartment.
Henry has already mentioned the most obvious problem, but just for fun try pulling the end of the poles a little further away from the tent and maybe have the stakes at a lesser angle, more or less following the seam line of the Rainbow. This works for me , but I really don't know if it makes any sense to anyone else. As a general rule (mine) the less wrinkles you have, the better the pitch.
Franco
BTW the first time I set the Rainbow up I could not find the sleeve, and I knew very well it was there.Because It was early morning and I had to go to work , I just put the pole inside so that I could see what it was like. I left work early that afternoon... hard to tell that I am over 18

rafe
12-29-2006, 08:01
BTW the first time I set the Rainbow up I could not find the sleeve, and I knew very well it was there.

Exactly what happened to me, on my first attempt.

rafe
12-29-2006, 11:08
Terrapin_too,

Not that there was any doubt about it, but I just did another practice set-up in the back yard, doing it right this time. Problem solved -- a perfect little tub! Now, if I could only get it to be June or July, life would be truly grand. You working on a time machine yet, Henry? :)

Heater
12-29-2006, 11:15
Not that there was any doubt about it, but I just did another practice set-up in the back yard, doing it right this time. Problem solved -- a perfect little tub! Now, if I could only get it to be June or July, life would be truly grand. You working on a time machine yet, Henry? :)

I am real REAL close to buying one of these Single Rainbow tents. I just wish it had double entry like the Double Rainbow. I wonder why he has not done this yet? THAT would be the absolute perfect tent IMO. :confused:????????:confused:

It gets HOT here in Texas.

Footslogger
12-29-2006, 11:32
[quote=Austexs;293752]I am real REAL close to buying one of these Single Rainbow tents. I just wish it had double entry like the Double Rainbow. I wonder why he has not done this yet? THAT would be the absolute perfect tent IMO. :confused:????????:confused:

=====================================

I'll bet the answer is WEIGHT.

But hey ...Henry is one of the best at customer service so if you asked he might customize one for you.

We own the Rainbow 2 and got it for exactly that reason. But it's the tent we use when we hike together (we have other tents for solo hiking) so the extra space and double door thing was really important for us.

'Slogger

rafe
12-29-2006, 11:38
I am real REAL close to buying one of these Single Rainbow tents. I just wish it had double entry like the Double Rainbow. I wonder why he has not done this yet? THAT would be the absolute perfect tent IMO. :confused:????????:confused:

It gets HOT here in Texas.

Austexs, I think you'd like this little fella. You can basically open up one whole side of the tent (the vestibule side) to open air -- and still be bug-free. Entrance/egress is a lot easier than any other solo backpacking tent that I know of. Takes about 2 minutes to set up. The trickiest part is pushing the ridge pole through its sleeve. Once that's done, it's about 60 seconds to the finish.

Heater
12-29-2006, 11:44
[quote=Austexs;293752]I am real REAL close to buying one of these Single Rainbow tents. I just wish it had double entry like the Double Rainbow. I wonder why he has not done this yet? THAT would be the absolute perfect tent IMO. :confused:????????:confused:

=====================================

I'll bet the answer is WEIGHT.

But hey ...Henry is one of the best at customer service so if you asked he might customize one for you.

We own the Rainbow 2 and got it for exactly that reason. But it's the tent we use when we hike together (we have other tents for solo hiking) so the extra space and double door thing was really important for us.

'Slogger

I was going to post that.

I don't care about the few extra oz's between the single RB and double RB. It's the footprint that is the difference to me. That said, a single, double entry Rainbow.... should weigh just a little less that the full double Rainbow version.

There must be a reason? Probably just a matter of keeping the number of models at a reasonable level.

I wonder if he would make me one? :D

Footslogger
12-29-2006, 12:50
[quote=Footslogger;293757]

I wonder if he would make me one? :D

==================================

Well ...I've bought 2 tents over the years from Henry and had some modifications made. No harm in asking. My guess is that he'll say yes.

'Slogger