PDA

View Full Version : Hello all...new guy checking in.

Orange_Crush
12-19-2006, 11:29
Hi everyone. I am a neophyte in the hiking world and am planning on taking a week with my brothers to hike the NC/TN section of the AT in early june.

I have been advised by several people that a multi-day AT hike is one of those things that I must do before I die...so now's as good a time as any.

Any suggestions you may have for me would be sincerely appreciated.:D

I will probably be asking a lot of annoying typical newbie questions, so please have patience with me.

Ender
12-19-2006, 11:56
:welcome

Newbie questions or no, ask anyway. Also, try running searches for topics first. A lot of the questions are already out there, they just need to be dug up.

Swiss Roll
12-19-2006, 11:57
I am new to backpacking also, so I can't give advice, but I will tell you this, it will be the best week of your life. Enjoy!

jesse
12-19-2006, 12:10
Take as many weekend/overnight trips as you can. Get use to your gear and living on the trail. My first weekend trips to the Cohutta and the AT were great except for the weight I was carrying.

Big Dawg
12-19-2006, 12:15
Hi everyone. I am a neophyte in the hiking world and am planning on taking a week with my brothers to hike the NC/TN section of the AT in early june.

I have been advised by several people that a multi-day AT hike is one of those things that I must do before I die...so now's as good a time as any.

I will probably be asking a lot of annoying typical newbie questions, so please have patience with me.

:welcome to WhiteBlaze, Orange Crush!!!

Smokies, Max Patch, Roan Mountain, are great hiking areas to consider.

Have fun!!!:D

Boat Drinks
12-19-2006, 15:42
As you can see from my Avatar signature, I am a newbie as well. Read as much as you can, then ask questions. The folks are nice here!:welcome :banana

hopefulhiker
12-19-2006, 17:06
Welcome, You will really enjoy that section of the trail... This is a good site.

Bravo
12-19-2006, 17:17
Use the search funtion of this site. It's served me well. Try to get your packweight as low as possible. Your trip will be better for it. Also it wouldn't hurt to get into shape before you go. You don't need to be able to run a marathon but at the end of the day feeling sore like you did something is good. Feeling dead like you want to die and never walk again is bad. Just my .02.

Bravo
12-19-2006, 17:18
Oh I almost forgot:welcome

Cookerhiker
12-19-2006, 20:26
Welcome to WhiteBlaze :welcome and the world of AT hikers (and dreamers). Your first hike traverses a superb location for the time of year. Also, early June means extended daylight.

So when will you attempt a multi-day winter hike?:D

wacocelt
12-19-2006, 20:29
Welcome! Be sure to come back and describe the size and discomfort level of your blisters!

RAT
12-19-2006, 20:59
Welcome to WhiteBlaze ! NC/TN is my backyard, I will happy to offer any help you may need. Any section in that area is a good section, but MaxPatch and Roan Mtn. do come to mind first ;)

RAT

Paul Bunyan
12-19-2006, 21:08
Hey, you must have joined recently. I try to shoot off newer members a quick PM(Private Message).

All i can say right now is :welcome to Whiteblaze!

Oh, on the section hike bit, i personally believe they help out a lot. You really get to know the folks out hiking, and get use to the exercise.:D

Still though, Welcome.:sun

Yote
12-19-2006, 21:54
Newbie here also...looking for anyone that would like to hike the AT in 2007 in Georgia and Tennessee. Email [email protected]

I will eventually in my life hike the entire AT, just not all at one time.

Chaco Taco
12-19-2006, 22:17

Hey man, I have been backpacking seriously for only a couple of years. I am in Chapel Hill. There are a few of us going up to SO RUCK. Its like a backpackers festival. You meet tons of new people that can give you little tricks to the trade and from what I hear, the cooks serve of some really good grub. I hear very good things each year. Check it out on the site and get some friends and go.

Orange_Crush
12-19-2006, 22:43
Thanks for the welcome and the advice...I'm sure I'll be asking for much more before the hike. I'm going to start out with some one-day hikes and work up to two and three day hikes. In the eantime, I'll be spending a fair amount of time walking and riding the bike.

We're planning on getting on the trail at Fontana Dam and head north through the GSM Nat'l park and seeing how far north we can go. We've set a goal of 12 miles per day. Does that sound doable?

rafe
12-19-2006, 22:46
We're planning on getting on the trail at Fontana Dam and head north through the GSM Nat'l park and seeing how far north we can go. We've set a goal of 12 miles per day. Does that sound doable?

....... Quite.