PDA

View Full Version : Moth Ball and Mice

partinj
12-19-2006, 16:17
A buddy of mine told me he use mothballs to keep the mice away he would put a few in a small bag and hang them on his backpack and on the outside of his food bag.Try this out myself it work kept the mice away just don't put in side your food :-? bag

fiddlehead
12-19-2006, 17:23
Yeah, animals in generaly don't like moth balls. I believe i read some where here on whiteblaze that they are toxic though so be careful.
I hang soap from my fruit trees so the deer don't eat them in the winter.

Hammock Hanger
12-19-2006, 17:46
I hiked with a couple that did this little ritual of putting mothballs all around their sleep area each night. They say it worked. -- When I slept in shelters I just shared with the mice, no biggie. Not sure why everyone gets all in a fuss over a few little mice running around.

Toolshed
12-19-2006, 18:06
Not concerned with mice. But Naptha works great when leaving your car for a week or more around areas with a lot of porcupines (Northern PA). I don't know if it is an old wives tale, but i have sprinkled some moth balls around/beneath my car to keep them from chewing the hoses.

Lone Wolf
12-19-2006, 21:27
I carry a half pint of anti-freeze. Kills all critters equally.:cool:

K0OPG
12-20-2006, 08:34
hammock hanger - one word "HANTIVIRUS"

Hammock Hanger
12-20-2006, 09:17
hammock hanger - one word "HANTIVIRUS"

That's true... but mothballs may stop the mice from coming into your space but you will still breathe in their "stuff" if it is there.

Lone Wolf
12-20-2006, 09:39
Ever smell moth balls?

Who held the legs?

otterman
12-20-2006, 10:16
Whenever I have to set out a garbage bag that won't fit in the can I spray a little chlorine bleach on the bag. The raccoons and possums won't touch it. I wonder if you could do the same with a cotton ball sprayed with bleach somewhere on top of you food bag? Much less toxic than moth balls and it could be multipurpose.

Newb
12-20-2006, 10:21
I've been eating those mice like popcorn. Is that wrong?

Hammock Hanger
12-20-2006, 11:06
You can eat the mice, just don't inhale their...waste!!!

Two Speed
12-20-2006, 11:12
Mmm, don't breathe while eating mice. Darn good advice!

Panzer1
12-20-2006, 14:22
I carry a half pint of anti-freeze. Kills all critters equally.:cool:

I hope your just kidding..

Panzer

Panzer1
12-20-2006, 14:25
A buddy of mine told me he use mothballs to keep the mice away he would put a few in a small bag and hang them on his backpack and on the outside of his food bag.Try this out myself it work kept the mice away just don't put in side your food :-? bag

Moth balls are poisonous. I would not put them anywhere near food..

Panzer

D'Artagnan
12-20-2006, 15:05
Ever smell moth balls?
Who held the legs?

Your posts are what keep me coming back here. :D

By the way, ever eat any molasses? What'd they taste like?

RAT
12-20-2006, 22:05
Moth balls have been used by the old ones for years, most put a line all the way around their house. It does work, no insect, snakes, or critters of any sorts will cross them but I wouldnt cary that toxic stinkin` *****t in my pack no way, I am not bothered by mice. Hantavirus is very rare but can occur anywhere there are mice at any time, it becomes airborne after the turds are old and very dry so even if mice were exterminated and not present the virus could still be there. Definitely something to think about when staying at shelters esp old ones.. Its like bad water just something I dont think about.

RAT

Sly
12-21-2006, 07:02
Hantavirus is very rare but can occur anywhere there are mice at any time, it becomes airborne after the turds are old and very dry so even if mice were exterminated and not present the virus could still be there.

I've only heard of one case of HV on the AT but...

One thing you don't want to do is sweep out the shelter and settle right in. If you do sweep out shelter, you should wait an hour to allow for the dust to settle.

RAT
12-21-2006, 23:52

Actually two that I know of and I met one of them, they stayed at my house during the hike and reported to me later. They had some serious health issues but survived. Definitely airborne. I try to avoid shelters if possible.

RAT

Hammock Hanger
12-22-2006, 16:34
Actually two that I know of and I met one of them, they stayed at my house during the hike and reported to me later. They had some serious health issues but survived. Definitely airborne. I try to avoid shelters if possible.

RAT

I wonder if RAT droppings carry the HV???:p (couldn't resist)

REBELYELL
12-23-2006, 06:11
I tried once LW but the moth took offence

Wanderingson
12-23-2006, 07:40
Here's some cool stuff to keep the mice away, but I'm not sure I would want a shelter smelling like fox and bobcat urine.

http://www.critter-repellent.com/mice/mouse-repellent.php

rafe
12-23-2006, 09:05
Here's some cool stuff to keep the mice away, but I'm not sure I would want a shelter smelling like fox and bobcat urine.

Could it be worse than hiker stink? :-?

Panzer1
12-23-2006, 19:59

One thing you don't want to do is sweep out the shelter and settle right in. If you do sweep out shelter, you should wait an hour to allow for the dust to settle.

I realize that sweeping a shelter can cause the virus to become airborne, just the same the first thing I do after arriving at a shelter is to sweep it assuming there is a broom there. Just a bad habit I have.

Panzer