PDA

View Full Version : Advice on tents

LastHonestFool
12-19-2006, 19:30
hey, figured I coudl maybe pick some of your guy's brains....

I'm lookin for a new tent that meets the following criteria:

-sewn in floor
-double wall
-1 person tent
-lightweight

http://www.sierradesigns.com/tents.display.php?id=486

^^^^^^was one I was looking at, anyone have experience with this one?

other options I was veryinterested in were these:

http://www.sierradesigns.com/tents.display.php?id=45

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47982670&parent_category_rn=4500666&vcat=REI_FINDERS_TENT

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=48002169&parent_category_rn=4500666&vcat=REI_FINDERS_TENT

looking for the lightest option that meets those requirements reliably

saimyoji
12-19-2006, 19:37
Tarptent Rainbow. search this site for it, there are several recent threads.

EarlyBird2007
12-19-2006, 19:43
I have a Squall 2, which is really a small 2 person tent. With floor, it is @ 35 oz. I've had it out several times & love it. I'm taking it on my 2007 AT thru. If you want a true 1 person tent, consider the Contrail or Virga 2.

Here's the website http://www.tarptent.com/

rafe
12-19-2006, 19:44
hey, figured I coudl maybe pick some of your guy's brains....

I'm lookin for a new tent that meets the following criteria:

-sewn in floor
-double wall
-1 person tent
-lightweight

Big Agnes SL1 -- the new (current) lightweight version. I have weighed one in the flesh, in its stuff sack, and with the supplied stakes... exactly 2 lbs. 4 oz. I'm not sure you can get any lighter with the specs you gave above. Almost all of the TarpTents are lighter than this, but of course they're only single-walled. Trust me on this -- I've been researching this issue like mad for a couple of months now, with pretty much the same "specs."

MSR Microzoid is much smaller.. too small for me, even. Eureka Spitfire looked good on paper, but a brief backyard trial was disappointing, and I returned it. Big Sky Evolution 1P... again, looks good on paper, but see other threads here about delivery issues.

One tent I haven't checked out yet and which could be a real sleeper is the Eureka Solitaire, at 2 lb 9 oz. And it's way cheap. If it's anything like the ancient Eureka Gossamer design, it should serve you well. (The "regular" price of the Solitaire is under $100, and you can get it from Eureka's outlet store for half that.)

JimSproul
12-19-2006, 19:49
I use an SD Baku solo tent. It is single wall. The two doors are a great feature. The headroom is in a location and shape that is usable. I am short so I have lots of room. So far I am pleased but have not had to weather a long wet spell in it. It has end vents that do not show in all the pics. Good cross breeze helps. The color actually blends in with the wood pretty good.

By the way the new Eureka Solitair has a zipper down the middle of the top, under the fly. Getting in and out of the old design was a challange (My son used one)

LastHonestFool
12-19-2006, 20:16
oh, I'm sorry, I forgot to mention space was a concern, I'm big guy, 6'4/6'5 (tal but skinny as hell, lol)

so the microzoid is pretty much outta the question, why did you not like the Spitfire?

the big agnes SL1 does look VERY nice...I'm looking into the other options you suggested while I type this

rafe
12-19-2006, 20:41
oh, I'm sorry, I forgot to mention space was a concern, I'm big guy, 6'4/6'5 (tal but skinny as hell, lol)

so the microzoid is pretty much outta the question, why did you not like the Spitfire?

the big agnes SL1 does look VERY nice...I'm looking into the other options you suggested while I type this

The Eureka model that I bought and tested was the Spitfire UL. The night I tested it, there was rain, and rain got into the tent, near the foot. The design uses two short vertical posts, and the roof (fly) goes flat near the foot of the tent. Rain pooled in that area. The fly didn't seem cut right. I generally love Eureka tents, but this one was a dud. The "regular" Spitfire is a bit heaver and has a hoop at the foot -- a much older (and well-proven) design.

Others have mentioned Tarptents, and while they're single-wall, you might want to give them a look. The tent I've chosen (for now) is the Tarptent Rainbow, and it is really huge by my standards. The headroom and floor space are phenomenal considering the weight of the tent (32 oz, on the money.)

Another note... once you get to around 3 lbs, there are *many* choices. What made the search interesting was trying to match (or come close to) the very lightest TarpTents and single-wall tents (some of which go down to a mere 1.5 lbs.)

By the way and for what it's worth... the TarpTent Contrail looked very nice also -- but it has that same design as the Eureka tent that let me down... and so for me, it was out of the running. (2 short vertical sticks and a flat roof near the foot of the tent.... Uh-oh!!) Of course it's quite possible that Henry Shires knows how to make that design work... even if Eureka does not.

LastHonestFool
12-19-2006, 20:45
for now, I'm leaning towards the Big Agnes SL1

you've beena huge help in every thread I've made so far, terapin...it is appreciated :) and to all the others who've helped, thanks!

I'll let you guys knwo what I settle with, I'l pry end up testing several out before I come to any definite conclusions

Green Bean
12-19-2006, 22:40
Eureka has some nice signal man tents.

rafe
12-19-2006, 22:50
Eureka has some nice signal man tents.

Signal men? How about signal women? :)

But for sure, they do. Or at least they used to. And the price is right.

anders08
12-20-2006, 03:27
i'm also looking for a tent that's good for 4. yes four. we'll go camping march next year so i could check out if there are better deals this december. thanks. we're like 5'10" all boys :D

Hana_Hanger
12-20-2006, 07:26
A great 4 person tent and LIGHT is the Mountain Hardwear Kiva it is really a 4 season tent so you can't go wrong there. Some are on sale right now the normal price is around $225 but at around 4 lbs and add another pound if you want the flooring it is a great tent.

Toolshed
12-20-2006, 08:05
LHF, I am bug guy 6'1" and found the spitifre UL to be too small. I ordered it as a factory Class A and returned it. I couldn't lie and point my toes straight up without hitting the fly. It was too low in the foot area.
BTW - You can find some Class A Factory discounts here for Eureka Products.

Eureka (http://www.eurekacampingctr.com/eureka/dept.asp?dept_id=3047&)

rafe
12-20-2006, 08:30
LHF, I am bug guy 6'1" and found the spitifre UL to be too small. I ordered it as a factory Class A and returned it. I couldn't lie and point my toes straight up without hitting the fly. It was too low in the foot area.

If you can be happy with a single-wall tent, you'll be amazed at the floor space and headroom of the Tarptent Rainbow. If there's condensation, the tent walls will be well away from you. The vestibule side of the tent is essentially a standard double-wall design, so I'm thinking this tent should vent very well. One whole side of the (inner) tent is mesh. I haven't had it on the trail yet, so take my comments for what they're worth... ;)

K0OPG
12-20-2006, 08:55
LHF - I have a sierra designs (cannot remember the name) but the "Iota" looks just like it but different color. I would have to compare stats. But anyway, I am 6'4" and 260 and I don't have problems fitting in it. My .02.

rafe
12-20-2006, 09:05
LHF - I have a sierra designs (cannot remember the name) but the "Iota" looks just like it but different color. I would have to compare stats. But anyway, I am 6'4" and 260 and I don't have problems fitting in it. My .02.

SD makes very nice tents. The Clip Flashlight was a favorite on the AT for a long, long time. I took an SD "Lightyear" on my last section hike. Super-fast setup, and plenty of room for a solo tent. The only reason I gave up on it was to save some weight.

hopefulhiker
12-20-2006, 10:52
If you are planning a thru hike consider the tarp tents. With just a single wall these tents cut the weight considerably. Hundreds use these tents. I used one. The single wall does work and it is plenty big.

LastHonestFool
12-21-2006, 20:06
BTW - You can find some Class A Factory discounts here for Eureka Products.

Eureka (http://www.eurekacampingctr.com/eureka/dept.asp?dept_id=3047&)

what tent did you settle with? or are you too, still looking?