PDA

View Full Version : MA Mid-State Trail. Next Week. Anyone?

rafe
12-20-2006, 11:04
I'm serious, if you are. The trail is about 90 miles total and over fairly easy terrain. This isn't the Whites. I'm free from 12/23 through 1/1. We could do the whole thing or just a part of it. Bail if it gets crazy. Whatever. No fun hiking solo this time of year...

MA is back to normal winter temps. No snow yet, and nothing terribly evil in the forecast that I can see. Rain/sleet forecast for Friday PM/Sat AM.

Yeah, I know what week it is. ;) :) I've got a "forced vacation" (business shutdown) till 1/1 and looking for something different to do with it. PM me or email me, ASAP: [email protected] if you're interested.

Ender
12-20-2006, 11:12
Man, that sounsd like a great time. If I didn't already have plans, I'd be there. But, I'll be drinking wine and eating pasta in the Italian Alps. Oh yeeaaaahhhhh...... :sun

MOWGLI
12-20-2006, 11:18
I'm serious, if you are. The trail is about 90 miles total and over fairly easy terrain.

I didn't know there was a MidState Trail in Mass. There is also one in PA that is about 250 miles. It's the longest trail in PA.

rafe
12-20-2006, 12:44
I didn't know there was a MidState Trail in Mass. There is also one in PA that is about 250 miles. It's the longest trail in PA.

Yeah, MA's mid-state runs north-south, and the nearest trailhead is about an hour from my house. I think I've already climbed the two highest summits... ;). There are a fair number of short roadwalks, etc., as is typical for this kind of trail. Benton MacKaye spent his childhood years prowling the northermost peaks and crags of this trail, up near the MA-NH border.

Seriously, tho... no takers??? Ender, it would have been fun, I'm sure. Please check back with me after you get back from the Alps and have a blast while you're there. (I hear the snow sux this year.)

warraghiyagey
12-20-2006, 19:13
Hey Terrapin Too (T2?),
Like the others I would love to. I'm in Boston and I think I was right behind you on the trail from Kat to Dalton this summer. I am also looking to get some good hiking in before heading back out to the AT in June. Alas, this week won't do. Don't you wish people who could go would answer instead of those of us who can't?
Peace :) :)

I would be interested in hiking this spring if you have any time. There are a few others in the general area that would like to as well. Let me know.

rafe
12-20-2006, 19:29
Hey Terrapin Too (T2?),
Like the others I would love to. I'm in Boston and I think I was right behind you on the trail from Kat to Dalton this summer. I am also looking to get some good hiking in before heading back out to the AT in June. Alas, this week won't do. Don't you wish people who could go would answer instead of those of us who can't?
Peace :) :)

I would be interested in hiking this spring if you have any time. There are a few others in the general area that would like to as well. Let me know.

Hey there, warraghiyagey from Canandaigua (I know the town well.) You must have been following some other terrapin, because I wasn't anywhere near Dalton this summer (but I was there in 2005 and 1998 or so... )

Anyway, PM me or email me whenever... I was just hoping to kill some time next week, or else it's going to be a bunch of honey-dos and just plain time-killing silliness (like, posting on WB.) I'll be up for hiking in spring, but weekends only. I need to save every scrap of vacation for August. Next week is a "forced" vacation... one of those money-saving plant-shutdown deals. (Money-saving for the company, that is....)

rafe
12-20-2006, 22:25
Tom S. from Portsmouth called, and tentative plans have been made. We set out Tuesday AM, (day after Xmas) and probably hike till the weekend (home Friday PM?) Given how short the days are, I expect to make no more than 10-12 miles per day. May walk by headlamps a bit, we'll see. I just got back from Trader Joe's for provisions. Got some yummy stuff. :D

We'll have at least two cars, so we'll be able to scoot into town easily for some hot food if need be. Anyone else? Here's some more info on the trail:

http://www.midstatetrail.org/

Dharma
12-21-2006, 01:32
I didn't know this trail existed. I'm busy next week but I will definately check it out. Are there any online maps or do i have to buy the guide? Do I need the guide?

rafe
12-21-2006, 01:54
I didn't know this trail existed. I'm busy next week but I will definately check it out. Are there any online maps or do i have to buy the guide? Do I need the guide?

Not if you hike with us... we'll each have a copy. ;)

The parts I've been on are reasonably well-blazed with yellow triangles. But there are a lot of short roadwalks, I think. The online info that I've seen is sketchy. EMS sells the printed guide for $12. There's a Falcon Guide (Hiking Massachusetts, by Benjamin B. Ames) with detailed maps and waypoints.

Tramper Al
12-21-2006, 16:13
Hey,

Good luck you all on your Midstate Trail journey. I have section hiked it end to end, southbound. Actually, many of my day hikes were round trip. I have also completed the conneting Wapack and North-South Trails.

If you are giving yourselves 4 solid days, then you may just complete it, yeah? Especially if you are planning to walk a bit by headlamp. Just be careful around Crow Hills in the dark.

Anyway, have fun!

LastHonestFool
12-21-2006, 16:15
bah! terrapin if you'd have posted sooner I could have went with ya....I'm taking a little trip the 27th to the 29th of December, in Md.

hmmm....next time you go to plan one of these, shoot me a PM a couple weeks or so in advance so I can take the days off work, I've never hiked in Ma (or when you plan to do some weekend trips like you posted above, let me know)

I'm itchin to see new ground :)

rafe
12-21-2006, 16:21
Hey,

Good luck you all on your Midstate Trail journey. I have section hiked it end to end, southbound. Actually, many of my day hikes were round trip. I have also completed the conneting Wapack and North-South Trails.

If you are giving yourselves 4 solid days, then you may just complete it, yeah? Especially if you are planning to walk a bit by headlamp. Just be careful around Crow Hills in the dark.

Anyway, have fun!

Thanks. We'll surely try.

With the shortened schedule (4 days) and the very short daylight hours, I think we'll just settle for easy days and do whatever we can or feel like. No pressure... I had actually thought of making this a winter "project" but then the thought occured to me (yesterday AM) to look for a hiking partner and do a bigger chunk of it on my holiday week off.

rafe
12-21-2006, 20:03
Tom's bagged out. All those Trader Joes munchies and no place to go. Someone, please save me from a week of honey-dos. :eek: