PDA

View Full Version : Bungee Cord Adds a Boost to Backpacks

JoeHiker
12-20-2006, 18:07
Ergonomic design reduces strain on shoulders and joints, scientists say

The cords suspend the load in the pack so it stays at the same height from the ground while the wearer is running or walking, thus reducing the risks of muscle and joint problems.

Its designers said it will allow users to carry an extra 12 pounds (5.4 kilograms) while expending the same amount of energy as when carrying a normal backpack.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16299917/

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 18:19
They have a ways to go, but...... ???

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061220/hl_nm/science_backpack_dc

"Carrying heavy loads could become easier thanks to a new ergonomic backpack that uses bungee cords to take the strain off the shoulders and joints, scientists said on Wednesday."

"The cords suspend the load in the pack so it stays at the same height from the ground while the wearer is running or walking and reduces the risks of muscle and joint problems.

"Its designers said it will allow users to carry an extra 12 pounds (5.4 kg) while expending the same amount of energy as when carrying a normal backpack."...

"It is like carrying an extra 12 pounds for free," he added in a statement."...

"In most traditional backpacks the load is attached to the frame of the pack which is strapped tightly to the body. As a person walks it moves in line with the hip.

The new pack, which is described in a report in the science journal Nature, reduces the vertical displacement of the load.

"What is striking about our ergonomic backpack is that one can feel the 86 percent reduction in force with each and every step," Rome added in a statement."

More at the above linked story from Yahoo/Reuters news. Or, visit the company's web site at--
http://lightningpacks.com/

Rain:sunMan

Tractor
12-20-2006, 18:23
I see his food bag, where's the pack? My luck the first night out a squirrel would eat through one of the cords and leave my new fangled pack crippled till next town stop....or would I bring along extra bungies??

Not a bad idea though. Never thought about actually being able to run with a pack on, except if being chased........

Sly
12-20-2006, 18:33
Personally I don't believe it, but it kind of reminds me of the great suspension in a Dana Terraplane. Only problem is you're ccarrying an extra 5-7 lbs of pack to get there.

The power generating pack I can see, but again, at what cost in weight compared to benefits?

rafe
12-20-2006, 18:37
Its designers said it will allow users to carry an extra 12 pounds (5.4 kilograms) while expending the same amount of energy as when carrying a normal backpack.

What they didn't say is that the pack weighs 12 lbs. :rolleyes:

fiddlehead
12-20-2006, 18:45
How is this gonna relieve strain on you? You're legs are still carrying the same weight. I say it's total BS except perhaps your shoulders will feel better.

rafe
12-20-2006, 18:56
How is this gonna relieve strain on you? You're legs are still carrying the same weight. I say it's total BS except perhaps your shoulders will feel better.

In theory.... [famous last words] if the load can remain stationary, then you are not re-lifting it with each step. You'd need just the right amount of damping for that to happen. I mean, it's the same exact idea as your car's suspension.

In practice, I'm a bit doubtful myself. You still need enough of a savings to overcome the incremental weight of the mechanism itself. And at least part of that mechanism (the part attached to your body) won't be getting the benefit of the suspension.