PDA

View Full Version : Taking a rookie

PecosBackpacker
12-20-2006, 21:16
Ok, so here's the deal: During Spring Break, a friend and I want to do do a backpacking trip somewhere in the western US. We are looking at Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Oregon, or Washington. If the funds are available, I could even consider Alaska and Hawaii. The problem is, she has never been backpacking before, while I have much experience. Does anyone know of any good places in any of these states that are easy for beginners? We would like someplace relatively close to the major cities, for airport purposes, and because we aren't old enough to rent a car. Also, if anyone knows of cheap transportation to get to and from trailheads, please send advice my way. I alos will need topo maps. I know I am asking a lot, but I really appreciate any help you guys can give me. Thanks.

Almost There
12-20-2006, 22:02
Take her on the JMT or Colorado trail. Remember if you are hiking with a first time female...let her lead and pay attention. I have learned the hard way with my wife, and learned some more valuable lessons taking a rookie female last summer. It can be a great time but remember, you know what to expect...she doesn't.

TJ aka Teej
12-20-2006, 23:44
she has never been backpacking before,

Do some overnights near home on the Florida Trail first. That'll get learning the little things (like pooping outdoors, sleeping in a tent, kitchen chores, filtering water...) out of the way. Better than flying across the country and heading into the wilderness for her first night in a tent! Plan and practice ahead of time, and keep it 'fun' - same advice I give whether the newbie's your own little kid or an adult.

Spirit Walker
12-21-2006, 00:05
If you are doing this during spring break, your options are somewhat limited. A first backpacking trip is hard enough, you don't want to do it when there is snow on the ground. I suggest going to the Gila in southern New Mexico or to the Superstitions near Phoenix. If you just want to go overnight or for three days, the Pt. Reyes area near San Francisco or the Ventana Wilderness near Big Sur provide nice easy springtime hikes. The Grand Canyon would also be a possibility - beautiful and nice trail. But she would need to be in good shape for the 5000' climb out.

Spirit Walker
12-21-2006, 00:07
Sorry - I ignored your preferences for states to visit. The only one that is feasible in early spring is Hawaii. The others have too much snow to backpack until early July.

fiddlehead
12-21-2006, 01:07
Yeah, way too much snow in those states for a beginner that time of year. I'd think about southern CA or AZ. Joshua tree? Anza Borrega? Superstitions are a good idea as you could probably get a taxi from the airport to the trail head and hitchike back. I don't know how much money you have but Peru would be a good idea if you could afford it. Or Copper canyon Mexico?

rafe
12-21-2006, 01:18
Ok, so here's the deal: During Spring Break, a friend and I want to do do a backpacking trip somewhere in the western US. We are looking at Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Oregon, or Washington. If the funds are available, I could even consider Alaska and Hawaii. The problem is, she has never been backpacking before, while I have much experience. Does anyone know of any good places in any of these states that are easy for beginners? We would like someplace relatively close to the major cities, for airport purposes, and because we aren't old enough to rent a car. Also, if anyone knows of cheap transportation to get to and from trailheads, please send advice my way. I alos will need topo maps. I know I am asking a lot, but I really appreciate any help you guys can give me. Thanks.

Ok here's an idea. Maui. Several shuttle services will take you from Hilo (where the airport is) to the summit of Haleakala, a 10,000 foot high dormant volcano. You can then do a beautiful 2 day hike -- all downhill -- into the crater and down the town of Hana. I believe there's a shelter/campground at the mid-way point You'll need reservations or permits, because it's a National Park. From Hana, you can easily find another shuttle back to Hilo. Amazing scenery. It'll blow your mind if you've never been there. If you've got time left over, take the shuttle back up and take a bike trip down the mountain (on the road this time) to the town Paia.