PDA

View Full Version : Hexacube Shelter

DebW
06-10-2003, 22:11
This shelter is on the south side of Mt. Cube. It is hexagonal, a six-sided shelter with 2 open sides and a big center post. Could probably sleep 12-16. Shelter was neat and clean, with narry a mouse heard all night. The privy is pentagonal - a Pentaprivy. There are 2 tent sites just beyond the shelter. Shelter is on a side trail 0.3 miles off the AT, all uphill and fairly steeply. Water available in a stream near the shelter now, but probably a longer walk in late summer.

celt
06-11-2003, 06:46
Here are pictures of the shelter and the privy

Shelter: http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=929&papass=&sort=1

Privy: http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=935&papass=&sort=1

Dudeboard
01-25-2004, 01:31
Is this the also the shelter known as the Mount Cube Shelter? In Then The Hail Came (about a 1983 hike), it's said:

Mount Cube Shelter was located at the base of the mountain, just a quarter-mile from the road. It looked very used, but the area was kept nicely clean. The best feature was another great outhouse, identical to the one which I described at Cloudland Shelter in Vermont earlier in this chapter, right down to the bulletin board on the wall. I wrote another rave review of a D.O.C. outhouse on an index card and tacked it up with the others.

celt
01-25-2004, 07:05
Is this the also the shelter known as the Mount Cube Shelter?

The Hexacuba is a different Shelter. It is on the south side of Mt Cube just north of the Quinntown Road. The A.T. was relocated farther away from the old shelter, not sure of the date, and a new shelter became necessary. I understand the old shelter stood for a while after the relo but it is gone now.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=929&nocache=1

jlb2012
01-25-2004, 09:49
Indexing in the photo gallery looks a bit off - when selecting the hexacuba shelter photo the next and previous thumbnails showed 3 copies of the pentaprivy photo and another thumbnail of the hexacuba shelter

Moon Monster
01-25-2004, 15:00
Lovely shelter, but I had a bad experience with water and the privy. In late June '03, the privy was so full of flies, that any disturbance would send a horde flying up and out. Had to cathole that morning.

Also, despite the torrents of rain in Northern NH and Maine through the Spring, the Mt. Cube area was still on the coattails of the recent drought even into late-June '03. Consequently, the water source at this shelter was the worst I saw on the entire trail in 2003. Only a couple stagnant, larva-filled, two inch deep pools were in the stream. I used my companion's filter--the only time in my entire hike that I filtered.

A-Train
01-25-2004, 16:44
This shelter was a .3 uphill walk from the AT. Didn't discover that the water was back at the AT until I got up to the shelter. When I went back the water was pretty poor. Had to climb around a lot of rocks, roots to get into a "pool" of water to scoop from. It was kinda nasty.
The shelter itself is a cool design, although its kinda hard to "use" all the space when a lot of people are sleeping in it. We were all angeled every which way. Had a pretty bad bug night there. In fact the only real bad bug problems the whole hike were between Hanover and Glencliff. Experienced some of the worst the next morning hiking near Ore Hill Shelter. As Moon Monster says the privy was pretty nasty, though I probably used it a couple days before you got there :)
I would suggest possibly going past the shelter turn off up a mile or so to Cube Mtn. Not sure if any good places to tent, but on a clear night would be a great place to sleep out. A gorgeous morning the next day when i was up there.

Moose2001
01-25-2004, 21:06
Hey ATrain. Boy what a difference a month makes! As we were behind you, we had a totally different experience here. There was a nice, clear stream running right next to the shelter. Plenty of clean water to filter from. Met the ridgerunner here and had a great time talking to him. We ended up tenting because a pretty good crowd of weekenders showed up. Plus, the bugs were still a little bother. The privy wasn't anything to bad, I'd seen worse. Still, one of my favorite shelters.

cascader
05-09-2006, 19:03
stayed at Hexacuba two weeks ago, alone, after going over about three dozen blowdowns on way S from Glencliff on AT. Water running well, shelter clean, privy clean, no mice, no flies, really nice--but temps dropped to 30 at night--slid a little on the top privy step (four *steep* ones) on way up "pentaprivy" but didn't register it--freezing rain came down while I was minding my business--first step on way out sent me *flying*, bouncing off lower steps (still have a major bruise) and ended up with a face plant into the tree at the bottom of the steps! little harm done, considering---but, watch those steps! forgot they are just as dangerous as the rocks going up Cube--

Tinker
05-10-2006, 00:14
I was one of the last people to use the old Mt. Cube shelter in the valley between Smarts Mt. and Mt. Cube in the late 1980's. It was small, with a metal roof, lots of cracks between the log walls, and the old "baseball bat" sapling floor. I had recently gotten my Stephenson Warmlite sleeping bag with the 2+ inch thick down air mattress and was thankful to have it. I haven't been on that section of the trail since. The Hexacuba shelter looks very nice, but I have a problem with the name. It isn't a hex (six sided) or cube (four sided) structure, so why the name???????:-?