PDA

View Full Version : Ray Jardine's Beyond Backpacking. Out Of Print?

headchange4u
12-21-2006, 12:07
I had been thinking about picking up a copy of Beyond Backpacking by Ray Jardine (http://www.ray-way.com/bb/index.shtml). I looked on the site and they said they were not taking orders until Jan. 25. Then went to Amazon and copies were ranging from $55-$92 :eek:.

Is the book that expensive normally? Ray's site said something about a fourth printing. Will I be able to pick this up when they start taking orders in Jan?

Two Speed
12-21-2006, 12:24
Do you want to own the book or would borrowing from your local library suit you? The ltbrary system here in Marietta has several of Jardine's books on the shelves. I'd be somewhat surprised if a system in an area as large as Richmond didn't have one or two of his books.

headchange4u
12-21-2006, 12:29
The library was the first place I checked, as always. I checked the Berea, Richmond, AND Lexington libraries with no luck. I also checked on abebooks.com (largest internet seller of used books) and copies were still $64-88. That crazy.

I would very much like to own my own copy, but not at those prices.

EDIT:
Ray's site lists the book as "Out Of Print".

Sly
12-21-2006, 12:30
Normally they sell for $20...

Finding Jardine's PCT Thru-hikers Handbook is even harder and more expensive. I found one of the earlier editions but it doesn't have the colored cover.

Sly
12-21-2006, 12:35
Ray's site said something about a fourth printing. Will I be able to pick this up when they start taking orders in Jan?

Taking orders? It looks like the Fourth printing was in 2002!

headchange4u
12-21-2006, 13:03
Taking orders? It looks like the Fourth printing was in 2002!

AAAAHHHHH CRAP!:mad: You mean I gotta pay $60-90 if I want a copy? Crap!!!!!

rafe
12-21-2006, 13:13
Who is this "Ray Jardine" guy anyway? :) ;)

Seriously tho... from what I hear he's a bit off the deep end. I've got Ryan Jordan's book... the man seems to have a few less screws loose. And a bit better control of his ego. :)

chknfngrs
12-21-2006, 13:37
just ask anyone from GoLite about Mr. Jardine...

Jim Adams
12-21-2006, 13:41
out of print...it's about time!

Ewker
12-21-2006, 13:54

or ask Mr Jardine about GoLite :p

Sly
12-21-2006, 14:00

out of print...it's about time!

Although I didn't agree with everything, I found the PCT book a great resource for planning that trail.

And I have a new copy of Beyond Backpacking coming for list price...

Jim Adams
12-21-2006, 14:05
it's not that i think Ray's Way is useless and in fact i do think that alot of it is / was very forward thinking. i just don't like having it crammed down my throat which alot of Golite and gram fanatics tend to do...you know...like hammock users!
geek

Sly
12-21-2006, 14:10
Yeah, I know what you mean......... fanatics.

rafe
12-21-2006, 14:18
It's funny how this stuff goes. I caught a whiff of it over on AT-L when I foolishly posted my gear list and got hammered by the folks there. Well, since then I think I've found a way to shave a good seven pounds or so (at great expense) but I'm happy to be in the "light" category, and will probably never be "ultralight." I do find it interesting that it's always a competitive thing. Having hit 10 lbs base weight, the next guy over isn't going to be happy till he can beat that with a 5 lb. base weight. And so it goes... on and on... round and round...

Jim Adams
12-21-2006, 14:29
TT,
i know what you mean, i'm happy at 24lbs with whiskey.
geek

rafe
12-21-2006, 14:37
TT, i know what you mean, i'm happy at 24lbs with whiskey.

Certain items are non-negotiable. :D

headchange4u
12-21-2006, 15:34
Those pesky hammock users......:rolleyes:

I don't know that much about Ray Jardine or his methods/idealology, but the book certainly sounds interesting. I have heard it's a good book. I am not trying to go "Ultralight" but I do hope to pick up some good tips and maybe shave a pound or two off my pack.

I want to read the parts on making my own clothing and the nutrion section.

BTW, neo had a copy and we are going to work something out so I can get his. Yay (thanks neo)

Tha Wookie
12-21-2006, 20:38
Seriously tho... from what I hear he's a bit off the deep end. I've got Ryan Jordan's book... the man seems to have a few less screws loose. And a bit better control of his ego. :)

Ray's not crazy. He's a hell of a lot more sensible than most people on this site, a true adventurer. He's certainly one of the most ingenius people I've ever had the pleasure knowing. A genius is often misunderstood, by those who see themselves in the shallow end. Ray is not even in the pool. He's skiing across the arctic right now -while some criticize a person they don't even know from a computer desk.

rafe
12-21-2006, 20:52
Ray's not crazy. He's a hell of a lot more sensible than most people on this site, a true adventurer. He's certainly one of the most ingenius people I've ever had the pleasure knowing. A genius is often misunderstood, by those who see themselves in the shallow end. Ray is not even in the pool. He's skiing across the arctic right now -while some criticize a person they don't even know from a computer desk.

OK, it was a cheap shot. I've heard serious doubts raised about some of Ray's diet suggestions, for example.

Let's just say... if I were marketing a line of gizmos or what-nots, I wouldn't have the gumption to name my brand "Rafe-Way." ;)

Jerm
12-21-2006, 21:09
for a more up to date book on light weight backpacking you should check out the book compiled by ryan jordon over at bpl.com.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00070.html

that's crazy that the beyond backpacking book is going for such a high price on amazon.

Bravo
12-21-2006, 23:26
Some of Uncle Ray's ideas might seem a little over the top but they all come from his experiences. Seems to me that's a whole lot better than cyber-theory.

I've got his book. I don't practice everything but I've gained a ton of valuble info from it.

Lone Wolf
12-21-2006, 23:30
Some of Uncle Ray's ideas might seem a little over the top but they all come from his experiences. Seems to me that's a whole lot better than cyber-theory.

I've got his book. I don't practice everything but I've gained a ton of valuble info from it.

He's not a backpacker. He's a rich guy running thru the trails. He doesn't enjoy just hangin' and doing low miles. Some follow jesus...

rafe
12-22-2006, 00:25

That's a sensible approach. Be skeptical. Lighten up, but be damn sure you can make it work with what you've got. Ray's gear list won't work for weekend warriors.

jesse
12-22-2006, 11:33

Right on Wookie!!!

While I have never personaly met Ray Jardine, I have made two of his quilts, one backpack, and a tarp. 100% satisfied. I have not read Beyond Backpacking yet. I have read his Tarp Book and all of the information on his website, it all makes perfect sense to me.

If anyone disagrees with him, it is ok to challenge the ideas, but I do not think personal attacks are good.

Oh! as soon as he returns in Jan. I am ordering another backpack and tarp kit

HYOH