PDA

View Full Version : outer wear march 27th start

Hangman
12-21-2006, 16:08
Lets hear some feedback on starting march 27th with 200 weight fleese, and a wind and water resistent shell from rei. i will have some mid weight poly long underwear tops and bottoms as a base layer. i know i'll be fine while walking but a little concerned around camp.

Footslogger
12-21-2006, 16:22
Lets hear some feedback on starting march 27th with 200 weight fleese, and a wind and water resistent shell from rei. i will have some mid weight poly long underwear tops and bottoms as a base layer. i know i'll be fine while walking but a little concerned around camp.
==============================

Tough to generalize from one year to the next. That said ...I started on March 29th (2003). I carried a PrimaLoft pullover (MEC) and a rain shell (SD - Peak Bagger). Also had polypro long john bottoms/top and long legged nylon quick dry pants. We had snow the first night (Hawk Mtn Shelter area) but I was OK. Key is staying dry and having a nice warm sleeping bag to crawl into. You didn't mention it but another key item is a warm hat. I carried a fleece tuch and a lightweight balaclava. Good combination if the winds come a howling.

'Slogger

Hangman
12-21-2006, 17:22
I also i carry a balaclava with neck warmer,mittens, smart wool socks ect. just want to be sure of the fleese and jacket layer will be enough. i also have a packa for rain gear

Footslogger
12-21-2006, 17:27
I also i carry a balaclava with neck warmer,mittens, smart wool socks ect. just want to be sure of the fleese and jacket layer will be enough.
===========================

That type of combination was enough for me. I went with the PrimaLoft pullover in the place of Polartech because it was lighter and more compressible.

'Slogger

Jim Adams
12-21-2006, 18:01
Hangman,
You should be fine. I started on 3/25 in 1990 with basically the same but no polypro. I was only cold one night in camp and that was on top of Tray which is a notoriously cold shelter anyway but as Footslogger stated , it changes every year. You could be in 50's to 70's every day or 20's to 30's or any combination. If it's that cold, stay in your sleeping bag! Typically the cold doesn't last more than a day or two and you should be warm while walking.
geek