PDA

View Full Version : New Year's on Springer

Phreak
12-21-2006, 16:36
Is anyone from WB going to Springer Mtn for New Year's?

Lone Wolf
12-21-2006, 16:38
I is plannin' to.

jlb2012
12-21-2006, 17:31
I will be there if the creek don't rise

Skidsteer
12-21-2006, 17:58
Most probably if the weather doesn't turn to crap.

Phreak
12-21-2006, 22:37
Great! I'll be up there with my wife and possibly a few others. I look forward to meeting some of the faces from WB.

John Klein
12-21-2006, 23:40
I will be there if the creek don't rise
I was there this afternoon and the creek was a trickle.

John Klein
12-21-2006, 23:42
I guess I was surprised to see a Gilmer County sherrif patrol car driving past the Springer parking lot today. I assume it was a routine drive by.

peanuts
12-22-2006, 22:09
I am planning to attend the festivities...

Blister
12-23-2006, 15:58
Dear Santa,

I know I have been a very bad girl this year. But if you wouldn't mind

- Of course Peace on Earth and.........
- A private jet down to Georgia for New Years
- A limo ride to the trail head
- A sherpa to carry the party supplies
- And a clone of myself to stay here and work off debt

Thats all, honest. I promise to be even a better do-badder next year!

Love
Blister Bitchen Sister

tiamalle
12-23-2006, 22:20
I guess I was surprised to see a Gilmer County sherrif patrol car driving past the Springer parking lot today. I assume it was a routine drive by.Is Springer not in Lumpkin County

Skidsteer
12-23-2006, 22:27
Is Springer not in Lumpkin County

Actually it's in Fannin Co., but you can hit Lumpkin or Gilmer with a rock depending on which way you are facing.

Cutty
12-23-2006, 23:43
ok,
count sunrise being there on top of springer on new years day,
glad all you others will be there too. hope to see you all soon.
is it best to hike in or drive up to the falls?

Grinder
12-29-2006, 11:01
"Deadlines and commitments. What to leave in what to leave out"
Bob Seeger, "Against the wind"

I have never backpack camped.
I finished my back pack yesterday.
How in the world can I have quality of life AND carry it on my back??

As Shakespeare says "Therein lies the rub."

This will be an experience. I got the gear and cooking covered. Then I started on cloths, toiletries and stuff that I take when I "rough it" on the motorcycle.
Drive up campers don't know what "roughing it" means, do they???

Sheesh!!

Isn't this a different world.

Back to decisions.

See ya Saturday or Sunday if you go.

Miles of Smiles
Tom

Sly
12-29-2006, 12:04
Looks like it it's going to be mild all weekend with rain after midnight on Saturday and during the day Sunday.

Think I'll bring an umbrella....

Lone Wolf
12-29-2006, 12:07
Looks like it it's going to be mild all weekend with rain after midnight on Saturday and during the day Sunday.

Think I'll bring an umbrella....

Think I'll stay home and wait for SORUCK.

max patch
12-29-2006, 18:42
Nice out there today. Remnents of snow at elevation. Only saw one other group of 6 hikers while I was out.

white rabbit
12-30-2006, 19:42
Stayed at Springer Mtn shelter last night. The mice are doing quite well there!! If you hang your food bag on the bear cables the mice will find them.

And thanks to whoever left their leftover MRE's in the upper level. The mice really enjoyed them.

Mountain Maiden
12-30-2006, 21:52
ok,
count sunrise being there on top of springer on new years day,
glad all you others will be there too. hope to see you all soon.
is it best to hike in or drive up to the falls?

Hmmm--LOL---I think that might be SUNSET hikin' up but either way--Best Wishes to everyone for a Bright and SUNNY New Year's Day to begin 2007!

HAVE A GREAT YEAR!!

Sunny aka Sunrise :sun

tiamalle
12-31-2006, 00:29
Stayed at Springer Mtn shelter last night. The mice are doing quite well there!! If you hang your food bag on the bear cables the mice will find them.

And thanks to whoever left their leftover MRE's in the upper level. The mice really enjoyed them.I wonder how many would have a bowel movement if hikers threw out poison at shelters for mice :confused:

Dances with Mice
12-31-2006, 00:41
I wonder how many would have a bowel movement if hikers threw out poison at shelters for mice :confused:Seems like a pretty big trace to leave, no? You're nothing more than an overnight guest in their house.

And mice don't get into food hanging from bear cables. Flying squirrels have that covered.

stumpknocker
12-31-2006, 10:12
Seems like a pretty big trace to leave, no? You're nothing more than an overnight guest in their house.

And mice don't get into food hanging from bear cables. Flying squirrels have that covered.

I don't sleep the meeces house, I sleep in the forest in my own house. :)

MOWGLI
12-31-2006, 10:16
"Well it looks like rain, and it feels like rain. Whoa, here comes the rain!"

Have fun out there kiddies! Iffin' you want a shelter spot, you had better get there early!

stumpknocker
12-31-2006, 10:31

Have fun out there kiddies! Iffin' you want a shelter spot, you had better get there early!

I'll let you know if it's raining on Springer when I get back tomorrow. :)

Skidsteer
12-31-2006, 10:35
Is anyone from WB going to Springer Mtn for New Year's?

Most probably if the weather doesn't turn to crap.

It appears the weather has officially turned to crap (http://www.srh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?CityName=Suches&state=GA&site=FFC).

I'm staying home. You folks have fun. :sun

stumpknocker
12-31-2006, 10:49
It appears the weather has officially turned to crap (http://www.srh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?CityName=Suches&state=GA&site=FFC).

Skids, it's only a 30% chance of rain tonight and going to be mild....what's "crap" about that??:)

MOWGLI
12-31-2006, 10:50
I'll let you know if it's raining on Springer when I get back tomorrow. :)

Maybe it's the little video that Hammock Hanger posted last week, but right now there's a little ditty by Frank Zappa that entered my mind when I read your last post. Here tis. Happy New Year everyone!

Dont know much about dancin
Thats why I got this song
One of my legs is shorter than the other
n both my feets too long
course now right along with em
I got no natural rhythm
But I go dancin every night
Hopin one day I might get it right
Im a dancin fool, Im a
Dancin fool
I hear that beat; I jump outa my seat,
But I cant compete, cause Im a
Dancin fool, Im a
Dancin fool

The disco folks all dressed up
Like theys fit to kill
I walk on in n see em there
Gonna give them all a thrill
When they see me comin
They all steps aside
They has a fit while I commit
My social suicide, Im a
Dancin fool, Im a
Dancin fool
The beat goes on
And Im so wrong
The beat goes on
And Im so wrong
The beat goes on n Im so wrong
I may be totally wrong, but Im a
Dancin fool, Im a
Dancin fool
Youwsa, youwsa, youwsa
I got it all together now
With my very own disco clothes, hey!
My shirts half open, tshow you my chains
n the spoon for up my nose
I am really somethin
Thats what youd probly say
So smoke your little smoke
Drink your little drink
While I dance the night away, Im a
Dancin fool, Im a
Dancin fool, (etc., etc.)

Fool-uh!

Hey darlin...can I buy ya a drink?
Lookin for mister goodbar? here he is...
Wait a minute...Ive got it...youre an italian!
Hah?
Yer jewish?
Love your nails...you must be a libra...
Your place or mine?

Mr. Parkay
12-31-2006, 10:54
Well, I'll be there on Springer tonight. I don't care if it's rain, snow or sleet. Looking forward to meeting some new folks.

stumpknocker
12-31-2006, 10:55
Maybe it's the little video that Hammock Hanger posted last week, but right now there's a little ditty by Frank Zappa that entered my mind when I read your last post. Here tis. Happy New Year everyone!

Dont know much about dancin
Thats why I got this song
One of my legs is shorter than the other
n both my feets too long
course now right along with em
I got no natural rhythm
But I go dancin every night
Hopin one day I might get it right
Im a dancin fool, Im a
Dancin fool
I hear that beat; I jump outa my seat,
But I cant compete, cause Im a
Dancin fool, Im a
Dancin fool

The disco folks all dressed up
Like theys fit to kill
I walk on in n see em there
Gonna give them all a thrill
When they see me comin
They all steps aside
They has a fit while I commit
My social suicide, Im a
Dancin fool, Im a
Dancin fool
The beat goes on
And Im so wrong
The beat goes on
And Im so wrong
Dancin fool, Im a
Dancin fool
Youwsa, youwsa, youwsa
I am really somethin
Thats what youd probly say
So smoke your little smoke
Drink your little drink
While I dance the night away, Im a
Dancin fool, Im a
Dancin fool, (etc., etc.)

Fool-uh!

Hey darlin...can I buy ya a drink?
Lookin for mister goodbar? here he is...
Wait a minute...Ive got it...youre an italian!
Hah?
Yer jewish?
Love your nails...you must be a libra...
Your place or mine?

Huh??? :confused:

Heater
12-31-2006, 11:02
Youwsa, youwsa, youwsa
I am really somethin

Well if it's a costume party, I'll go as Studebaker Hawk. Thataway I can duck into my Phone Booth if the weather gets too bad.

:banana

Skidsteer
12-31-2006, 11:05
Skids, it's only a 30% chance of rain tonight and going to be mild....what's "crap" about that??:)

Well, you're sorta right about that but it turns out some of my family is staying longer than expected for the Holidays and a niece is flying back from France this afternoon.

I was looking for an excuse.:o

Y'all have fun!

Heater
12-31-2006, 11:06

Don't worry about it. You are Billy the Mountain and everyone knows that aaaaaaaa mountain is something you don't wanna mess with...

:-?

MOWGLI
12-31-2006, 11:23

That was a compliment in my strange way of thinking. Didn't you see yourself doing the Elf Dance?

Hammock Hanger
12-31-2006, 11:55
May all you that are enjoying your New Year's Eve on Springer Mt have fun and think of all of us who are enjoying ours in the Ocala National Forest.

It has been a long standing tradition for my husband and I to start our New Year at some wonderful spot in the woods. Could there really be a better place for a hiker to start off from...

Frosty
12-31-2006, 12:21
You're nothing more than an overnight guest in their house.Good point, and from now on when I stay in shelters built by mice I will treat my hosts with respect. However, when mice become poor guests in shelters built by humans, and my hiking pole is at hand: WHACK! BONK! CRUSH!

Gray Blazer
12-31-2006, 13:38
Well if it's a costume party, I'll go as Studebaker Hawk. Thataway I can duck into my Phone Booth if the weather gets too bad.

:bananaWho's gonna be Flo and Eddie?

minnesotasmith
12-31-2006, 17:21
Good point, and from now on when I stay in shelters built by mice I will treat my hosts with respect. However, when mice become poor guests in shelters built by humans, and my hiking pole is at hand: WHACK! BONK! CRUSH!:clap :clap :clap

Dances with Mice
12-31-2006, 19:48
Good point, and from now on when I stay in shelters built by mice I will treat my hosts with respect. However, when mice become poor guests in shelters built by humans, and my hiking pole is at hand: WHACK! BONK! CRU*****hat's the way it should be. One-on-one, mano a mouseo, man against nature, reflex vs reflex, separate the quick and the dead, Darwinize the breeding stock for future hikers to challenge.

Throwing poison around sucks.

BTW, I'll bet on the mouse. Even I, with eye-hand coordination on loan from gawhd, can't hit more than 1%.

Lone Wolf
12-31-2006, 21:34
License to kill mice by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill mice at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote.

Dances with Mice
12-31-2006, 21:37
:clap :clap :clapI've seen your glasses, dude. 250-1 in favor of the mouse.

Skidsteer
12-31-2006, 21:38
I bet them Varmints are seeking shelter tonight (http://www.srh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?CityName=Suches&state=GA&site=FFC). :D

Lone Wolf
12-31-2006, 21:54
License to kill mice by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill mice at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote.

I have to laugh, because I've outsmarted even myself. My enemy, my foe, is a mouse. In order to conquer the mouse, I have to think like a mouse. And, whenever possible, to look like one. I've gotta get inside this guy's pelt and crawl around for a few days.

Lone Wolf
12-31-2006, 22:02
I smell varmint poontang. And the only good varmint poontang is dead varmint poontang, I think.

Heater
12-31-2006, 22:05
Who's gonna be Flo and Eddie?

Bryson and Katz?

jlb2012
01-01-2007, 00:37

And thanks to whoever left their leftover MRE's in the upper level. The mice really enjoyed them.

Probably the same guy that threw the MRE trash in front of the shelter - the last of class 2006, left Dec. 30, self named "Ghost" - this guy needs a bit of education on leave no trace or at least in pack it in pack it out

jlb2012
01-01-2007, 00:41

good choice Skids - last night was like sleeping in a cloud with rain - most everything I had got wet from the cloud blowing through and under my hammock. This morning looked like more of the same so I bailed along with a couple other folks.:(

rafe
01-01-2007, 01:35
This morning looked like more of the same so I bailed along with a couple other folks.:(

Discretion is the better part of valor. ;)

MOWGLI
01-01-2007, 10:51
It's a beautful morning here in Chattanooga. The stars were out at midnight after a long day of rain yesterday. My guess is it's a beautiful morning atop Springer!

rafe
01-01-2007, 11:14
It's a beautful morning here in Chattanooga. The stars were out at midnight after a long day of rain yesterday. My guess is it's a beautiful morning atop Springer!

The weatherman was exactly right about Boston's weather, tho. 35 degrees and a cold, steady rain. Glad I'm not out in it. Boston's December temperatures set a record. Similar records broken in Providence RI, Worcester MA, Portland ME, etc.

Jan LiteShoe
01-01-2007, 11:20
I expect the survivors will come straggling in before too long, with tales to tell.
:)

Happy New Year everyone!
I hope it is happy and free.

Hammock Hanger
01-01-2007, 11:35
Don't know about Springer, but the sunrise from my point of view in the Ocala was pretty around 7:20 am. -- I didn't make it to midnight... never do!!

Lone Wolf
01-01-2007, 12:57
who's wine. what wine. where the hell did i crash my bicycle? here we go again.

Frosty
01-01-2007, 15:28
So you have to fall back on superior intelligence Bummer....

Grinder
01-01-2007, 16:21
Brain, aka Tback, and I got to Springer parking lot at 1 AM Saturday morning and hung by the parking lot that night. In the morning we hiked up to the Shelter and set up. Soon after our arrival, the rain began. This was to be a constant theme.

The day was spent waiting for the rain to let up. that never happened. I did get a chance to meet Hog On Ice. We visited. I got a look at his hennessy rig and cooking set up. one other couple showed up. After dark, no one could be motivated to heop start a big bonfire, so I went to the hammock about 7 PM and read for a while.

The rain was fairly heavy and steady. The wind was blowing like hell. Enough that you could hear it 'roar', although it was a dull roar.

I believe I hung my tarp too high, although I lowered it quite a bit after seeing HOI's setup. It was a long damp night, although I never got cold.

Got up at around 7:30AM Sunday and lurked all morning. Rain never let up. With all my gear damp, I elected not to spend another night.H.O.I. also decided to leave.

We waited until after noon to leave, hoping some other hammock people would arrive, but no one showed up. We loaded up and hiked out, spending the night in a motel in south Georgia and arriving home around noon.

It was a good equipment test for me. My home made pack, my homemade hammock and my S. G. tarp all worked fine. My rain clothing needs work, as does my hanging technique.

To those who arrived after we left, sorry not to have met you.

Miles of Smiles
Tom

Marta
01-01-2007, 17:34
I'm trying to find out if SOBO Endos made it to Springer by New Years Eve. Did anyone run into him?

stumpknocker
01-01-2007, 17:38
I parked at Amicalola at a little after 2pm and walked the 8 miles to the summit. It was raining. :) I was wearing a poncho, so I walked slow so I wouldn't overheat. I got to the summit about 7:30pm after a GREAT walk in the rain. It got all foggy and streams of water running down the Trail. I have to say that I haven't enjoyed a walk that much in a while.

I looked around the summit, but didn't see anyone, so I walked to the shelter and saw about 30 people...a few sobo's that had just finished and lots of other friends.

I stood with my poncho and backpack on, talking to some friends, then started looking for a flat spot for my tent. Too many briars around that area and too much mud in the tentsites, so I walked up to the summit and set up.

Lots of heavy rain until about 10 or 11pm. I thought about getting out of my sleeping bag for midnight, but I was too warm and cozy, so I just rolled over and went back to sleep.

I woke up this morning and heard someone hollering; "Frank, get up". I knew the voice...it was Sly wanting Sunset to get packed up.

I was planning on walking back down the mountain to my truck, but about 10 of us decided to go to The Smith House and have a buffet. :)

I made the RIGHT choice by spending another New Year's on Springer.

Happy New Year everyone and good luck to all the Class of '07

stumpknocker
01-01-2007, 17:41
I'm trying to find out if SOBO Endos made it to Springer by New Years Eve. Did anyone run into him?

Your buddy Snapshot was there along with Molassas and two others, but I can't remember their names.

Remember to give me a call if you need anything when you walk through Hog Pen Gap to Woody Gap in Georgia. :)

Marta
01-01-2007, 17:59
Your buddy Snapshot was there along with Molassas and two others, but I can't remember their names.

Remember to give me a call if you need anything when you walk through Hog Pen Gap to Woody Gap in Georgia. :)

Fantastic! Congrats to everyone!

The guy with Molasses was probably Quindo, but I'll be interested to find out who the 4th SOBO was.

I'm getting back out tomorrow. I'll be hoofing it towards Georgia as fast as I can...

stumpknocker
01-01-2007, 18:02
Fantastic! Congrats to everyone!

The guy with Molasses was probably Quindo, but I'll be interested to find out who the 4th SOBO was.

I'm getting back out tomorrow. I'll be hoofing it towards Georgia as fast as I can...

All I can remember about the fourth, was that he said his trail name used to be Navigator. Hope that helps. :)

Footslogger
01-01-2007, 20:55
[quote=stumpknocker;295101]I looked around the summit, but didn't see anyone, so I walked to the shelter and saw about 30 people...a few sobo's that had just finished and lots of other friends.

=============================

Hey Stumpnocker ...was I there ?? After the 4th or 5th Jagermeister things got a bit fuzzy. I seem to remember dreaming about a lot of rain. But maybe those were painful flashbacks to 2003.

Regardless it sounds like a good time was had by all and I wish everyone a Happy New Year too !!

'Slogger

Jan LiteShoe
01-01-2007, 21:18
[quote=stumpknocker;295101]I looked around the summit, but didn't see anyone, so I walked to the shelter and saw about 30 people...a few sobo's that had just finished and lots of other friends.

=============================

Hey Stumpnocker ...was I there ?? After the 4th or 5th Jagermeister things got a bit fuzzy. I seem to remember dreaming about a lot of rain. But maybe those were painful flashbacks to 2003.

Regardless it sounds like a good time was had by all and I wish everyone a Happy New Year too !!

'Slogger

You guys didn't see my name in the register?
:)
Must have been a skull cracker.

Hikerhead
01-01-2007, 21:46
I hope Stumpy didn't hurt himself. That 4 ft high johny seat with no hand rails had me worried. :)

Quindio
01-04-2007, 20:53
A friend of mine lost her grandmothers ring while visiting Springer MT. It was lost somewhere between the shelter and forest road. It is very important if found please E-mail me at [email protected]

Almost There
01-04-2007, 21:45
Marta, Endos was with Quindo and Molasses on the 27th around Albert Mountain, they were all supposed to finish together on New Year's eve, so the other was probably him.

hikernutt
01-04-2007, 22:06
To Marta
The 3 SOBO's that showed at Springer were Snapshot, Molasses and Quindo, the 4th one Mosaic, I met on Monday the 1st just past the Springer parking area heading to Springer.

Later

"You are never far from home when you have your backpack on."