PDA

View Full Version : gregory packs

ramblinman
12-21-2006, 18:05
I am thinking of buying a Gregory Whitney pack. Is this a decent pack? Yes or no.

Jim Adams
12-21-2006, 18:09
I'm not familar with the Whitney but I love my G pack and my daughter really loves her Diva 60. Both seem to be very good quality. As long as you don't go too big, I don't think that you can go wrong with a Gregory.

Lone Wolf
12-21-2006, 18:10
Yes. I own a Shasta. I love it.

Skidsteer
12-21-2006, 18:14
Yes, but it's heavy (http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524442583682&emssrcid=BizRate.com)(click on specs). Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I have a Shasta as well.

Spirit Walker
12-21-2006, 18:15
I used a Reality on my first CDT hike - it was a really good pack, though a bit heavy at 5 lbs. (I now use a ULA Catalyst, which I also highly recommend.)

ramblinman
12-21-2006, 18:22
Thanks. I wasn't sure. The company I work for carries Gregory and allows me to purchase it for $140 instead of $340 so If its a decent pack Ill definatly buy.

rswanson
12-21-2006, 19:19
I'm assuming your looking for a pack that you'd use on the AT or on trails like it. Gregory makes great packs but most of their line is really heavy and expensive. They tend to be overbuilt for most on-trail hiking. Also, the Whitney is 5000 c.i. or so, which takes a lot of gear to fill. Do you really need that much volume? For Gregory prices, you can get just about any pack you want. Take a look at the Osprey line as well. In the full-featured, large volume pack arena, I'd have to say I've read more positive comments about Osprey packs than any other manufacturer (over the past few years). I've only hiked one day with an Osprey pack (an Atmos) but it carried a heavy load well. Another popular manufacturer is Granite Gear. They've really dialed in the lightweight/durable combination.

Don't be afraid to try a pack that's not as 'sexy' in the bells-and-whistles sort of way. There are many 'cottage industry' gear manufacturers out there who produce excellent packs. Six Moon Designs, Gossamer Gear, and ULA Equipment all produce excellent packs designed with thru-hikers in mind. The downside: you'll likely have to buy one sight-unseen as there are only a handful of shops that stock these brands, so you'll be going largely off of what you read online. Some of these lighter packs also require more care and won't stand up to the kind of abuse that a Gregory would (the exception being ULA who use really durable materials).

I am using a North Face Skareb right now, which weighs right at 3 lbs for around 3200 c.i. capacity. There are a lot of things that I like about the pack but I'm firmly convinced that TNF copied Brian Frankle's (ULA Equipment) designs, adding a fancy backpanel and support system. ULA packs have a better weight-to-volume ratios and seem more functional. If I were spending the money again (like I won't!) I'd buy a ULA.

iamscottym
12-21-2006, 19:29
I had a whitney before I got my osprey crescent 85 (about the same size). I must say that I like the osprey much better. For heavy loads, the osprey's top and bottom tensioning hipbelt can't be beat. That said, I do like all the pockets on the gregory much better. It also has more useable attachment points outside, which I definitely miss. I also preferred my green/black whitney to my bright red osprey, but I wouldn't pick a pack based on it's color. For the money though, just get the gregory. You also might want to check out gregory's new packs, I've heard great things about the new hipbelt/suspension.

the goat
12-21-2006, 19:55
i've done all my backpacking in the last seven years with a whitney.

it is a bit on the heavy side, but you can carry anything in it, and it bears even the most massive loads comfortably.

i can't think of anything i don't a/b it.:sun

ramblinman
12-21-2006, 20:01
Awesome, thanks for the input guys. Ive checked out the Osprey's as well. Very nice packs. But the price I think Ill stick with the Gregory. As far as pack size is concerend Im planning on living out of it for two weeks. The Whitney is approximately 5500in., could I use something in the 4500 or even the 3500 range?

rafe
12-21-2006, 20:22
Awesome, thanks for the input guys. Ive checked out the Osprey's as well. Very nice packs. But the price I think Ill stick with the Gregory. As far as pack size is concerend Im planning on living out of it for two weeks. The Whitney is approximately 5500in., could I use something in the 4500 or even the 3500 range?

This is why some folks suggest buying the pack last.

- But this is just a sack of sh1t!
- But it's really good sh1t, Mrs. Presky!

(Firesign Theater)

iamscottym
12-21-2006, 20:32
That depends a lot on your gear, resupplys, weather, etc. I was able to fit 4 weeks of food (all MH meals, + breakfasts and snacks) in my whitney, along with gear. (at the time, 6lb tent, 2lb sleeping pad, 1lb stove, down jacket, tnf rain shell, rain pants, 2 sets of long johns...you get the idea). For two weeks, I could have easily gotten by with a smaller pack (4500 or so). It would probably be possible to go smaller with lighter/less bulky gear, and if you had a resupply, it would definitely be possible to get by with a smaller pack.

Footslogger
12-21-2006, 20:38
I own a Shasta and a Reality. Like em both but ever since lightening my load during my thru in 2003 and carrying a GG Vapor Trail I doubt I'll ever carry them again.

They are VERY comfortable packs but you do pay a penalty in terms of weight.

'Slogger

bigben
12-21-2006, 22:06
I own a Shasta and love it as well. The way the bigger Gregory packs have the automatically adjusting shoulder strap width swivel thingies(I'm sure they have a patented, technical name for it) makes it fit big, wide-bodied guys like me wonderfully. And their customer service is great. I bought my Shasta(Large with a large hipbelt) way discounted from Campmor for $189 2 years ago, removed the hipbelt and sent it to Gregory to exchange for an extra large belt at no charge or hassle.

I'll probably buy a Z-pack for my lighter trips, though.

Bigben

white rabbit
12-21-2006, 22:18
I'll probably buy a Z-pack for my lighter trips, though.

Bigben

I use a Z-Pack and it is great. Very comfortable for hiking day after day after day.

Tipi Walter
12-21-2006, 23:42

I go out alot on 12 day trips and I use a Dana Terraplane which is nearly the same as the Whitney. I tried the Gregory with 75 pounds in it recently and found the danged plastic swivels behind my neckbone a real worry as they kept rubbing so I just sat that thing down and ran from the store. I love my Terraplane anyway and was just out shopping, some features of the Whitney like the big bag compartment and the pockets I liked but the outside bottle holder was a tight fit for a liter bottle.

Another place to check is Dana Gleason's Mystery Ranch website and his G 5000 pack is about right for 10-14 day trips. The G 6000 would be even better if you like to haul alot of food, books, a big winter tent and down jacket, etc. Are they expensive? Oh heck yes but then so are Western Mountaineering bags but they're sure worth it.

I'm glad to see someone thinking of doing long trips and carrying everything without resupply. That is old school and I like it. As Jeremiah Johnson said, "I've been to a town."

SteveJ
12-22-2006, 07:54
I am thinking of buying a Gregory Whitney pack. Is this a decent pack? Yes or no.

I have a Whitney - carried it when I carried 40 - 50 lb loads. It's a great pack for carrying loads like that - will prolly handle up to 60 lbs. But I got to the point that carrying loads like that just wasn't fun anymore! (of course I'm 48 and you're 22!). Backpacking was miserable. Rolled ankles at least once a day while backpacking, just didn't have any fun.....

It now hangs in my basement closet, unless I decide to pack it up for car-camping. I carry a GG VT, with max loads of 30 lbs in cold weather. Base weight (everything but water, clothes, food and fuel) of about 9.5 lbs - the Whitney by itself weighs 7.5 lbs!

It's a great pack for carrying 50 lb loads - but when I found myself miserable carrying those loads, I changed out all my gear and started having fun while backpacking!

Buy it for $140, sell it on ebay for $250 and get some lighter gear!

YMMV, HYOH, etc!

D'Artagnan
12-22-2006, 09:17
I've got the Gregory Keeler and I really like it. It carries very comfortably even though its empty weight hovers around 5 lbs. For short outings, especially in summer, I carry the Atmos 50 by Osprey. Both makers are solid. Go with what feels right and holds all your crap.

greentick
12-22-2006, 10:16
I have a Gregory Keeler which is rated to 40# I think and 5300CI. I have had up to 50# in it and it carries very comfortably. THe only complaint is that it squeaks. It has pockets and all sorts of access options and is bombproof.

On the heavier side, I have one of those bigass military issue Gregory SPEAR rucks. Probably weighs over 8# and requires an engineering degree to run all the strapping. I have had 70# in it and other than it being 70# of weight the suspension is great. You can tweak the hipbelt angle and the shoulder straps too. I was shocked how improved the comfort was over an ALICE pack (older mil issue ext frame pack).

chknfngrs
12-22-2006, 11:49
I took advantage of a deal as well, and blindly bought into the Gregory G Pack. I have to say it is the best ride I've had with a backpack in a while, with great fit. It was a close tie between the G and the Z. But either way, well made.

My next pack I will support the cottage industry, however. There is no reason not to recommend a Gregory. They do it, and do it well.

n2o2diver
12-22-2006, 15:16
I am using a Gregory G pack as well. I love it. My 3 season weight is about 18lbs, so with food and water I am around 25-30 and it carrries well. I thought is was going to be too small when I bought it but now I see how much I was carrying that I didn't have too.

buckowens
12-24-2006, 10:10
Yes, I have a Whitney and find it to be a very good pack. It is heavier than some, but have lots of pockets and rides well. I found the best deal believe it or not at ebags.com. I tried it on in an REI and purchased online.

ric2hunt
12-24-2006, 11:08
I have a Whitney and my father in law has the Shasta. Both are great and work well on long hikes but I have started using a Gregory Z pack on shorter hikes. Only weighs three pounds and handles everything I need. Great packs and can take the abuse.

ramblinman
12-24-2006, 19:57
Thanks guys, I decided to go with a smaller Kelty pack

minnesotasmith
12-25-2006, 06:10
From Waynesboro north, to be precise. I did do a bunch of slackpacking in Maine, Vermont, Mass., and Conn, where I didn't use it much.

It worked well, holding together extremely well (including through multiple falls), excepting only one waist rivet. It was much better made than the (by comparison) POS Dana Bridger I started with. I'd say that for heavy hiking, especially for big guys or during winter, it's a winner. Most people in summer (or 99% of women in any season) would probably do better with something smaller, like a Gregory Palisade or even smaller.

Oh, and you'll likely want to get these two optional features on it (that not all Whitneys come with):

1) a sternum strap (it can be added later; just clip it on);

2) the pouch in the middle of the back (I've seen Whitneys with and without it). I liked putting my water treatment stuff there, so it was instantly available for obtaining and treating water in the middle of the day's hike, and right away at the end of the day (when I was trying to beat the darkness and get everything possible done prior). I do strongly suspect that pouch was intended for a water bladder for hydration-system people, but it's still useful if you don't use one (I don't).

Also, I saved the "wet rib" (detachable large waist pouch that also holds a liter water bottle in addition to maps, Wingnut book, and a big lunch) after I forever stopped using a Dana pack to use with my Gregory. That was a handy addition to the system I used.

Ultimately, go to www.gregorypacks.com (http://www.gregorypacks.com), click on "Products" and compare stats. No outfitter will carry them all, so if you're going to check all your options, that's part of what IMO you'll want to do.

Good luck!

mweinstone
12-25-2006, 15:15
a wall of dumbness. thats what this is. ahhhhh,,,,,. where to start.

i am right and you are dead.if you dont use a black diamond shadow pack.

ramblinman
12-26-2006, 19:15
I never had much luck w/ Black Diamond, its always fallen apart on me, literally, no lie. But glad to see your having luck with yours.

Ewker
12-26-2006, 21:35
I have an old Gregory Forrester pack. It weighs approx 6 lbs maybe more. You can cram everything in it. I used it on an 8 day trip in the Sierras 2 yrs ago

RAT
12-26-2006, 22:00
I have a Gregory Wind River internal frame pack that has had the stays exchanged with titanium ones for less weight. Best pack I have ever owned. Got it at Mt. Rogers outfitters as a demo.

RAT