PDA

View Full Version : Winter Solstice

woodsy
12-21-2006, 18:17
Arrives at 7:22 pm tonight. It is the most sun deprived day of the year and in the far NE we saw an actual 7 hours+- of sun today.
Looking forward to more sunshine per day in the upcomming months, it really is too dark around here this time of year:(.
Drinks on the house. :) and cheers to more sunshine:sun

LastHonestFool
12-21-2006, 18:24
I think of myself as a winter-loving person I suppose....but when there's not enough daylight to take my dogs out to enjoy a walk it's irritating...at the very least it'd better start snowin here soon, I love the snow, so do my dogs :)

rafe
12-21-2006, 18:29
I think of myself as a winter-loving person I suppose....but when there's not enough daylight to take my dogs out to enjoy a walk it's irritating...at the very least it'd better start snowin here soon, I love the snow, so do my dogs :)

I feel the same way. It's not winter without snow. And cold rain makes a very poor substitute.

Wonder
12-21-2006, 18:39
Happy Yule!

Peaks
12-21-2006, 18:45
Time to for winter peak bagging!

Roland
12-21-2006, 19:05
Time to for winter peak bagging!

Are you working on a list?

Peaks
12-22-2006, 10:09
Are you working on a list?

Now that I have finally finished the NE 111, it's time to go after the NH 4K's in winter.

Mountain Maiden
12-22-2006, 10:32
Arrives at 7:22 pm tonight. It is the most sun deprived day of the year and in the far NE we saw an actual 7 hours+- of sun today.
Looking forward to more sunshine per day in the upcomming months, it really is too dark around here this time of year:(.
Drinks on the house. :) and cheers to more sunshine:sun

YES! To more sunshine!! Woodsy, I am in Maine as I type this (near Rockland coast) and I feel so deprived! At 3:30 pm it is dusk and before 4 pm it is DARK!

Cheers to more sunshine, for sure, but I heard that as we enter "Winter Solstice," today is the shortest day AND it continues for the next SIX days before the days get longer. Anyone know if this is true? If so, I will begin the countdown! I can't hardly wait for even one more minute of SUNSHINE!

That's why they call me--SUNNY aka SUNRISE :sun

Kaptain Kangaroo
12-22-2006, 15:52
Hey guys, you need to come visit me in Australia, it's summer solstice down here. Nice long days, warm temps & plenty of sunshine.
It's a great place to hike...especially if you like snakes ;-)

Cheers,

Kaptain Kangaroo

woodsy
12-22-2006, 17:01
Hey guys, you need to come visit me in Australia, it's summer solstice down here. Nice long days, warm temps & plenty of sunshine.
It's a great place to hike...especially if you like snakes ;-)

Cheers,

Kaptain Kangaroo

Yes of course, summer solstice down under:cool:, lots of sun, long and warm days.:rolleyes:
It's OK to rub it in KK, we're a tough lot :bananawarmer and longer days ahead but first there's some winter hiking to do...NO SNAKES:)

berninbush
12-22-2006, 17:43
Cheers to more sunshine, for sure, but I heard that as we enter "Winter Solstice," today is the shortest day AND it continues for the next SIX days before the days get longer. Anyone know if this is true? If so, I will begin the countdown! I can't hardly wait for even one more minute of SUNSHINE!

What I was told, by an astronomy-loving friend, was that December 21st has the shortest number of daylight hours of any day of the year... but it has neither the latest sunrise nor the earliest sunset. The way that works is, the earliest sunset happens some days before (he figured out it was on December 10 at my latitude, but the farther north you go the closer the date is to the 21st) and the latest sunrise happens a few days after the 21st. So between the 10th and the 21st here, the sunsets were actually getting later, but the sunrises were getting later FASTER, if that makes sense. Now the sunsets are getting later FASTER than the sunrises are getting later, so the days are slightly longer.... sometime in early January, the sunrises will start getting earlier again.

Confusing, but makes sense if you think about it. In Maine, the "six days" might apply to the time it will take before your sunrises start getting earlier again.

Frosty
12-22-2006, 19:10
YES! To more sunshine!! Woodsy, I am in Maine as I type this (near Rockland coast) and I feel so deprived! At 3:30 pm it is dusk and before 4 pm it is DARK!

That's why they call me--SUNNY aka SUNRISE :sunAccording to the US Naval Observatory, here are sunrise-sunset times for Hiawassee (they didn't have Springer Mtn or Amicalola) for Dec 21 - Dec 31:

Dec 21 : 739 - 1727
Dec 22 : 740 - 1728
Dec 23 : 740 - 1728
Dec 24 : 740 - 1729
Dec 25 : 741 - 1730
Dec 26 : 741 - 1730
Dec 27 : 741 - 1731
Dec 28 : 742 - 1732
Dec 29 : 742 - 1732
Dec 30 : 742 - 1733
Dec 31 : 743 - 1734

Simple mathematical manipulation yields the following hours/minutes of daylight each day:

Dec 21 -- 9 hours : 48 minutes
Dec 22 -- 9 hours : 48 minutes
Dec 23 -- 9 hours : 48 minutes
Dec 24 -- 9 hours : 49 minutes
Dec 25 -- 9 hours : 49 minutes
Dec 26 -- 9 hours : 49 minutes
Dec 27 -- 9 hours : 50 minutes
Dec 28 -- 9 hours : 50 minutes
Dec 29 -- 9 hours : 50 minutes
Dec 30 -- 9 hours : 51 minutes
Dec 31 -- 9 hours : 51 minutes

If the USNO listed sunrise/sunset times to the second rather than to the minute, we would see a nice daily progression of increased daylight.

To get the sunrise/sunset times for a given location, go to this site and enter place name (Form A) or if you know the LAT/LONG go to Form B and get any location:

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneYear.html