PDA

View Full Version : hostels in hot springs

ramblinman
12-21-2006, 19:08
anyone know of any. If so, experience with them good/bad?

ramblinman
12-21-2006, 19:11
Ive, heard mixed things of Elmers? Any others? Contact info?

MOWGLI
12-21-2006, 19:34
Elmers is awesome. One crank came on here and complained that Elmer wouldn't him stay there after the hiker insulted him. If you like vegetarian food, Emers is even better.

MOWGLI
12-21-2006, 19:36
You can download the electronic copy of the GA/TN/NC ALDHA Companion here (http://www.aldha.org/companyn/ga-tn06.pdf). It has everything you need to know about Hot Springs in it.

Like others have said, you might want to purchase a hardcopy of the '07 Companion when it comes out soon.

rafe
12-21-2006, 19:41
Ive, heard mixed things of Elmers? Any others? Contact info?

Elmers was the best. Evah.

I had a beer in my hand (it was placed there) even before I'd had a chance to remove my pack.

The food was incredible.

Jack Tarlin
12-21-2006, 19:43
Ramblinman....

Most folks love Elmer's; it's one of, if not the oldest place on the Trail that's still taking in hikers. (I.e. it's been takling in hikers longer than just about anywhere else).

My own personal favorite place in Hot Springs is the Duckett House Inn at the other end of town. Brian, one of the co-owners along with Frank, is a former thru-hiker. Absolutely beautiful place to stay. Call Brian at (828) 622-7621 for more information.

ed bell
12-21-2006, 20:24
My wife and I love the Duckett House. It's a little pricy, but worth it. Great house, furnishings, location and a kick-a** breakfast. The hosts are very nice as well. I got engaged there, so I've got a soft spot for the place.:sun

Appalachian Tater
12-21-2006, 20:40
Elmer's food is great even if you aren't vegetarian.

rafe
12-21-2006, 20:45
Elmer's food is great even if you aren't vegetarian.

I absolutely concur. I was actually... dreading it, until it was served. And it was served with an elegance and grace that just blew me away. Never seen anything like it, before or since.

ramblinman
12-21-2006, 21:09
If his place is anywhere near as hospitable as this forum, Im sure will have nothing short awesome time. Thanks alot guys for your patience and kindness towards a hiker in unfamiliar territory. Matt

Lone Wolf
12-21-2006, 22:54
From 1986 to 2000 I spent around 35 nights at Elmer's. Maybe more. I've eaten at least 50 meals there. I'm a carnivore and right wing. Elmer is totally opposite. Veggie food is good. Elmer's is good. I'd stay there if I were you.:sun

hopefulhiker
12-21-2006, 23:16
I would reccomend Elmer's. I had an incredible waffle breakfast there. He used to be the minister for the Duke University chapel I think....

rafe
12-21-2006, 23:21
A photo... arrival at Elmer's. 4/27/90. How can anyone not love this place?

DavidNH
12-21-2006, 23:26
ramblin,

hands down..go to Elmers Sunny Bank Inn. That was one of my favorite hostels of the entire trail. Fabulous!

Cost was 15 dollars per night (2006 prices).
Dinner was extra (I think 9 more?) gourmet 4 course vegitarian (but not vegan thank god) meal
Breakfast probably 6 or 7 more
You get comfy bunk in a room and the run of the house.
Nice porch out side, tv and vcr downstairs with lots of movies and books.
down town location. you can walk to everything..outfitter, library, diner.
the trail goes right by the place!
meals served family style.
place has warm friendly feeling.

Shower included. you do your laundry down the street at laundromat.

The only down side..if it is a downside..is that the place is cash only. No credit cards accepted. They do take Travelers checks though.

I think that Hot Springs was my favorite southern town. And hard to beat this hostel!

David

TOW
12-22-2006, 00:29
I love Elmers and the Duckett House, both of the places are tops!

Webs
12-22-2006, 00:40
I stayed in Elmer's this past June, and it was great after you get over the fleeting feeling of invading someone else's huge, antique home. He has musical instruments in a cozy music room that are free to anyone's use, and great rocking chairs and a swing! Right on the main drag, so most everything is in easy walking distance (trail talk translation: less than 1/3 mile) :)

veteran
12-26-2006, 11:26
LINK to the Duckett House (http://www.bbonline.com/nc/ducketthouse/)

Article about Elmer (http://www.mountainx.com/features/2006/0111hall.php).

Mountain Maiden
12-26-2006, 12:49
ramblin,

hands down..go to Elmers Sunny Bank Inn. That was one of my favorite hostels of the entire trail. Fabulous!

Cost was 15 dollars per night (2006 prices).
Dinner was extra (I think 9 more?) gourmet 4 course vegitarian (but not vegan thank god) meal
Breakfast probably 6 or 7 more
You get comfy bunk in a room and the run of the house.
Nice porch out side, tv and vcr downstairs with lots of movies and books.
down town location. you can walk to everything..outfitter, library, diner.
the trail goes right by the place!
meals served family style.
place has warm friendly feeling.

Shower included. you do your laundry down the street at laundromat.

The only down side..if it is a downside..is that the place is cash only. No credit cards accepted. They do take Travelers checks though.

I think that Hot Springs was my favorite southern town. And hard to beat this hostel!

David

David, HS is definitely my fav Trail Town! And, Elmer's is one of my fav hostels-- EXCELLENT food and PLENTY of it! If anyone goes away hungry, it is his own fault. However, do NOT be late for meals!! LOL--if you are-- be prepared for a reprimand from Elmer himself! He takes mealtime seriously and does his part to provide the best in food and hospitality at each sitting.

For folks traveling thru in '07 -- stop by to say hello--I will be at Elmer's Mar 1---May 31.

See you there!!
Sunny aka Sunrise :sun
PS Like LW--I am a true carnivore and rightwing--could not be more opposite from Elmer but, it has never been a problem. Mutual respect and remembering that it is HIS HOME and I am a GUEST make for a pleasant stay. That applies at every hostel--not just Sunnybank!

mnof1000v
12-26-2006, 16:41
When I passed through Hot Springs, I was hiking with Cedar Moe, and he needed a zero day. We wound up staying two nights, and the town is very friendly.

I agree with much of what's been said. My second night was at Elmer's. I really enjoyed my stay there, and it is a thru-hiker heaven. I did work-for-stay, which made it practical, but if you're looking for less expensive lodging, there are options. Elmer's and the Duckett House often offer work for stay for hikers, but that can never be counted on.

My first night in town, I stayed at the campground on the edge of town. I paid $5 for my campsite, which was a great deal. They have a campstore, modern shower facilities, and they're still right in town. I'd recommend them, if you can't afford to stay elsewhere, or if you can't get work for stay.

ramblinman
12-26-2006, 22:41
When I passed through Hot Springs, I was hiking with Cedar Moe, and he needed a zero day. We wound up staying two nights, and the town is very friendly.

I agree with much of what's been said. My second night was at Elmer's. I really enjoyed my stay there, and it is a thru-hiker heaven. I did work-for-stay, which made it practical, but if you're looking for less expensive lodging, there are options. Elmer's and the Duckett House often offer work for stay for hikers, but that can never be counted on.

My first night in town, I stayed at the campground on the edge of town. I paid $5 for my campsite, which was a great deal. They have a campstore, modern shower facilities, and they're still right in town. I'd recommend them, if you can't afford to stay elsewhere, or if you can't get work for stay.which campsite is this(for $5). The ones Ive seen are $18. Im definately on a budget and the majority of my sleep time will probley be in a campsite. Ill probley stay at the Sunnybank on those exceptionally cold nights(ya Im going beginning of Feb). Keep me posted. Thanks guys and gals.

veteran
12-27-2006, 11:46
which campsite is this(for $5). The ones Ive seen are $18. Im definately on a budget and the majority of my sleep time will probley be in a campsite. Ill probley stay at the Sunnybank on those exceptionally cold nights(ya Im going beginning of Feb). Keep me posted. Thanks guys and gals.

Hot Springs Campground, http://www.creekridgecamping.com/