PDA

View Full Version : Tooth powder?

Haiku
06-11-2003, 12:50
I've seen several people mention using tooth powder instead of tooth paste. What is this, and where do you get it? I've looked in drug stores, and have not found it in the tooth care section.

Haiku.

DebW
06-11-2003, 13:03
I found Arm and Hammer brand tooth powder at the local Super Stop and Shop grocery about 2 years ago, but haven't seen it there recently. REI sometime carries toothpowder, but in cinnamon or mint flavor. The Arm and Hammer is unflavored and neutral tasting, and I like using it. A google search for "Arm and Hammer tooth powder" did turn up some sellers on the web if you can't find it locally.

highway
06-11-2003, 14:15
Buy a small box of baking soda and carry a small amount with you in some small, lightweight plastic container to use for toothpaste. Its abrasive, whitens and cleans well, its very cheap, a little goes a loooong way and you can put the opened box in your refrigerator to keep it fresh too.

DebW
06-11-2003, 16:40
I had a dentist tell met that using straight baking powder is too abrasive. I have gums that receeded from my teeth due to using it.

Kerosene
06-11-2003, 17:09
Another alternative are tooth pad "dots" that I've recently seen in the drug store. Each dot sticks to your fingertip and has toothpaste embedded in it, avoiding the need for a toothbrush and some amount of toothpaste/powder. Six dots weighed in at well under an ounce. I'm not sure that I would rely on them for a thru-hike, but for a section hike they worked fine.

highway
06-11-2003, 18:01
Originally posted by DebW
I had a dentist tell met that using straight baking powder is too abrasive. I have gums that receeded from my teeth due to using it.

I would disagree.
In fact, it is even the mixture which my dentist uses when he finishes cleaning my teeth with the various picks they all use and the baking soda mixture is pulsated out against my teeth through some miniature pressure sprayer to do the final polish, I guess. I can taste and feel its refreshing flavor. We have all experienced it. The flavors are just all different, according to the individual preferences of each dentist

For my own toothbrush cleaning I still use baking soda even now- mixed with my regular toothpast- because of its ability to get rid of the coffee stains from to many morning cups of the stuff. And, I might add, I still have all my teeth, gums are not receeding and I submit that your problem might perhaps stem from something else other than simple brushing with baking soda. Its only drawback for me, at least, is that it does not come laced with flouride-the well-known cavity fighter. That is why I mix the two. But on a backpacking trip I carry only the tiny, lightweight vial of baking soda. It really does clean well, packs well, is lightweight and it really refreshes your mouth on the probably to-few times you will use it on an extended trip.

Haiku
06-11-2003, 19:09
Cool. Thanks for the info. I'll just use baking powder. The toothpaste I use now (Tom's of Maine) is baking powder based anyway.

Haiku.

Virginian
06-11-2003, 22:55
I just bought the travel size toothpaste or would squeeze half of the paste out of a full tube

asmtroop3
06-12-2003, 06:48
Originally posted by highway
I would disagree.
In fact, it is even the mixture which my dentist uses when he finishes cleaning my teeth.I submit that your problem might perhaps stem from something else other than simple brushing with baking soda. Its only drawback for me, at least, is that it does not come laced with flouride-the well-known cavity fighter. That is why I mix the two. But on a backpacking trip I carry only the tiny, lightweight vial of baking soda. It really does clean well, packs well, is lightweight and it really refreshes your mouth on the probably to-few times you will use it on an extended trip.

As everyone knows, everyone is unique. I tried a hammock and they are not for me. Thus every clinician has a personal technique. From my experience, A little is great but alot of abrasion is not. I'll be the first to admit that my dental hygene is lacking. I brush but not always follow the rest of the regime. My gums are great while my wife who is VERY good on her dental hygene has to have gum surgery every couple of years. Like the saying goes, Hike your own hike and brush your own teeth.
(You'll never catch me brushing anyone elses)

Please make a donation to the Boston Marathon Jimmy Fund Walk (https://www.jimmyfundwalkregistration.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=22672&lis=1&supId=5741195)

Jspahr
06-13-2003, 22:00
"laughing" Can I ask why it's so important to brush your teeth on a daily basis. Unless someone's eating chocolate foods, raw coffee, or something else along those lines, I see no reason not to just chomp on some gum. I've taken a few longer hikes and after a week or two of the tooth brush thing..."Forget this!" I said. It's much easier just to pack up a pack of gum. It works in the same manor as toothpaste...doesn't it? LOL. I would not use baking soda..yeah simple chemistry...to alkaline...that will kick your gums butt. Why go online or even travel to a store? There's no reason to in my opinion. Just try it once. No tooth paste or toothbrush. Just some gum. Stay away from high acid and base foods..."coffee, chocolates, etc." and I think you'll be fine. Smile smile smile.
:banana

Youngblood
06-14-2003, 08:22
Originally posted by Jspahr
No tooth paste or toothbrush. Just some gum. Stay away from high acid and base foods..."coffee, chocolates, etc." and I think you'll be fine. Smile smile smile.
:banana

I worry about that advice. How effective do you think chewing gum is at cleaning your teeth, especially between your teeth and along your gum line? Some of the folks reading this are planning on a six month thru-hike of the AT. That is too long of a trip to neglect dental hygene. I understand that the RIGHT KIND OF GUM is better that nothing...but I have a hard time believing that gum by itself will take care of your teeth.

smokymtnsteve
06-14-2003, 09:57
I use a short-handled toothbrush...and just a drop of doc bronners peppermint soap...keeps me kissing fresh!!!

Streamweaver
06-14-2003, 13:35
Chewing gum too often is what gave me a mouth full of cavities !! Even with regular brushing. Having anything in your mouth for long periods of time on a regular basis can give you cavities.Even if the gum is sugar free it can harm your teeth and gums. And if your like me You cant even go one day without bushing or youll get that nasty film all inside your mouth ,which drives me crazy!!! Ive heard alot of good things about that Doc Bronners Peppermint soap So Im gonna give that a try.They have it at www.campmor.com . Streamweaver

P.S. I Know first hand how important it is to take care of your teeth. I had open heart surgery and lost about 80% of my hearing due to and impacted wisdom tooth!! On the trail in the middle of the sticks is no place to have something like that happen!! So take care of your teefers!!!

smokymtnsteve
06-14-2003, 15:42
just a drop of that doc bronners ,,,a little goes a looooong way...I use it to bath with too....just a little bit will do ya

Haiku
06-15-2003, 22:33
I've tried Dr. Bronner's before (and the bottles are loads of fun to read, too), but it was too strong a taste for my teeth. It's good to wash hair, body, dishes, clothes, and just about anything else with, though.

Haiku.

stormin norman
07-17-2003, 22:20
If you are still looking for tooth powder, try the Arm & Hammer webpage. I think you can order it online or maybe find out what stores they sell it at.

UberPest
07-21-2003, 10:37
sugar isn't what causes cavities, it's the acidic waste excreted by the bacteria that are naturally in your mouth (they like sugar, but feed off of any food particles present). Rinsing with water is better than nothing at all, but I'd prefer to brush (I don't remember to floss at home, let alone on the trail).

In addition to preventing cavities and bad breath, brushing can help keep you healthy. If you brush your tounge and rinse well you will remove a fair amount of the germs that can make you sick (found this out when I was a teen and had chronic strep one winter).

Someone made mention of using baking powder for their teeth... soda is what you want to use. (I use Toms of Maine at home and it does a great job-- the "whitening" version has no flouride so I can use that for the dogs)

highway
07-21-2003, 13:42
Arm & Hammer is the most common, sold for pennies in any grocery store, in a yellow and red box, "good for baking, cleaning & deodorizing". Its great for your teeth(carry a small amount in a light plastic vial on the trail) and the opened box eliminates offensive odors from your refrigerator at home. Try it!

highway
07-26-2003, 07:42
HHHMMMMMM...........Baking soda also falls into the multi-use category.

Medicinal value- since it is basic on the PH scale, it serves as a quick remedy to neutralize the acidic oils that cause the reaction on your skin when you brush up against poison ivy, oak, sumac, nettles, etc., for those that get the burning, itching reaction from the encounter. You just have to do it quickly. Mix a little with water and apply over the affected area

Deodorant-sprinkle a little into each tennis shoe or boot that has been constantly worn for some weeks straight and it will help mask the putrid stink odors emanating from each and also make any close friends happier when you take the shoe or boot off.:D

Coosa
08-11-2003, 17:29
I was always taught to use Baking Soda with Salt -- about half and half. That's what I make and take.

As for Dr. Bronners -- it tastes 'nasty' in my opinion.

As Lynne Whelden says in his video about lightweight backpacking: be against water -- the less liquids you carry, the lighter the load. Powders over Paste save quite a few ounces of weight.

Coosa
and Casey the WonderDog who also brushes to remove the bees between her teeth.