PDA

View Full Version : similar to Marmot Driclime windshirt?

A-Train
12-21-2006, 21:55
Has anyone found a product very similar to this famous jacket? I've found a redledge which sort of seems like it, but I figure, with all the imitating styles that goes on with mainstream companies, there's gotta be something else out there. Thanks!

Shake_N_Bake
12-21-2006, 22:02
Why not just buy the original? There are two versions available through Marmot's site. The original and the updated. It just depends what you are looking for.

Also if you are looking to not pay retail, I got mine on e-bay for $51 shipped. So they are still ou there.

Hammock Hanger
12-21-2006, 22:35
I did a google search and checked out numerous location until I found the one that I wanted in a color I liked in my size. It takes some time but I got one for $60, bucks new. -- Then I scored another one from someone here on WB for $50.00.

Johnny Swank
12-22-2006, 04:51
I'm working on a review of the Marmot DriCime. It's the single most used piece of gear or clothing I own. There are lighter options, but I'll be damned if my DriClime doesn't go on every trip. Incredible temperature range, dries fast, can be used as a base or outer layer (negating the weight - 90% of the time I don't carry any thermal shirts)

In short, get the DriClime, and be happy. Excellent product

Kevin A. Boyce
12-22-2006, 11:01
I love the Dri-Clime stuff... It goes on almost every trip I go on from a day trip to extended trips... I wear them all year round. I have a jacket and a pullover; that one is nice, has a great hood and I generally use that to sleep in at night.

Keep an eye out on EBay for some of the better prices. EMS did make a version that has held up really well for me for 4-5 years now, but sadly they don't make them anymore.

hopefulhiker
12-22-2006, 11:06
I also used the dri clime on my hike

Mags
12-22-2006, 12:43
The DriClime shirt was my favorite piece of outdoor gear. I've used it all year around. Hiking, backpacking, skiing, snowshoeing, canyoneering...you get the idea. :D So versatile! It is the one piece of outdoor gear that I just can't
do without.

Used the same DriClime on the PCT and the Colorao Trail. Finally wore out. The jacket was patched wtih duct tape, the fabric was worn. Time to retire this beloved and well used piece of equipment.

So I went shopping. Weighed and compared various type of windshirts. The winner? The Montbell Light Shell jacket. It is 10oz for a Men's Large (vs. 14 oz for the Marmot). At the time it was less expensive ($90 vs. $110 retail). Montbell has exquisite attention to detail, their gear and clothing is built well. What I like about Montbell is that their clothing is not flashy unlike other companies.

Have used my light shell jacket for the CDT and everything else since Fall 2004. Still going strong and very little sign of wear. I loved my Marmot DriClime. But the Montbell is now "THE ONE" :)

Even though the new Montbell is slightly more expensive than the DriClime ($99 vs. $85. It is also a "stretch" fabric now, so it is an athletic trim), I still think it is a superior product.

I do not work for MontBell, just like their products!

https://www2.montbell.com/america/asp/products/Spg_shosai.asp?cat=2101&hinban=2306377

vaporjourney
12-22-2006, 15:22
May I ask what you guys use these for? I had always assumed that a windhirt was a lightweight, non-porous shirt that you could throw overtop of your typical synthetic shirt to help prevent the wind from nipping at you, especially while sitting still. These jackets listed however seem to be much heavier, and perhaps too warm for use while moving? I'm currently using a Capilene 3 top while hiking since I get cold easily, but these shirts seem much thicker.

Johnny Swank
12-22-2006, 15:59
They are heavier, but they've got a wide range of temps they can be used in. I quit carrying my Capeline tops for the most part, so that helps with the weight equation.

A 3-4 oz windshirt + a typical Capilene shirt will come out to about 10 oz or so. For me, it's the fact that I can carry one piece of clothing instead of two. I've started to wear a long-sleeve Columbia shirt year-round now, and during the summer I hike without a shirt for the most part.

It's just a matter of personal preference, but I get much more use out of my Marmot Driclime than I do my 3oz windshirt I've sewn.

highway
12-22-2006, 16:09
Marmont driclime windshirt is a multiuse item and therein lies its advantage. First, It has a thin fleece microfiber on the inside that wicks like mad, keeping dampness(sweat or exterior moisture) away from the skin, moving it constantly towards the outside of the fabric towards the windproof, water resistant outer shell. Wearing very little between it and your skin you can regulate your temperature by your motion. Wind does not knife through it robbing you of your body's heat, and, being water resistant, serves partially for rain gear. You can use it in a light drizzle without even raingear at all and it will keep most moisture at bay. The moisture that gets inside is expelled very quickly, so long as you keep your body heat up. If the garment begins to wet out, the drizzle becomes a rain, then one dons one's poncho or rain gear and the garment begins almost immediately to dry out from the inside out. After a short time walking your core is completely dry from its prior dampness from the rain.

To this day I am completely amazed at the number of posters on this forum who so obstinately seem to equate walking in the rain with the necessity of getting and staying wet.

Anyway, I began to observe that it worked so well that i stopped taking my long underwear uppers for warmth, then any fleece for warmth. It became not only my garment for warmth but my light rain gear as well. For three season use Its my heaviest layer and is all I need, along with some light raingear.

Many different types of garments are being manufactured today but few as versatile and multiuse as this one..

Mags
12-22-2006, 16:29
May I ask what you guys use these for? I

I use this garment in place of a fleece. Lighter, less bulky and much more versatile.

Use mine year 'round.

rswanson
12-22-2006, 16:31
For backpacking I've never quite seen the benefit of shirts like the Driclime. For most temp ranges, you're going to be wearing/carrying an additional baselayer since wearing the Driclime may be too hot and you need something else to wear when you take it off. A lighter windshirt like the Marmot Ion or aforementioned Montbell shell makes more sense in this case, saving you 10-11 ounces over the Driclime. I guess for biking or trail runs in cooler weather and the like the Driclime might make a good outer layer but why carry the extra weight when you need a more versitile system that will protect you over a wider range of conditions?

If you're set on this type of windshirt, take a look at the Mountain Hardwear Transition (http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Product.aspx?top=1&prod=832&cat=25&viewAll=False)as well. There are zip-t and full zip versions. I've heard good things about the material vs. the Driclime with regards to breathability.

rswanson
12-22-2006, 16:34
Anyway, I began to observe that it worked so well that i stopped taking my long underwear uppers for warmth, then any fleece for warmth. It became not only my garment for warmth but my light rain gear as well. For three season use Its my heaviest layer and is all I need, along with some light raingear.
So are you carrying just the Driclime and raingear in three season conditions? No other insulatory layer or baselayer garmets?

Johnny Swank
12-22-2006, 17:44
I can get away with just carrying the Driclime in leau of the thermal top with just a long sleeve supplex shirt underneight most of the time. I'm going to play with using my down underquilt as my insulation (like a no-snivvler), and if that works out for the few times I actually need more clothing, then I'm actually carrying less weight than I have in the past. The windshirt dries in a flash if given half a chance, so I don't bother with all the extra layers anymore unless it's going to be really cold.

That Montbell Jacket is pretty sweet though, and I'll consider it when my DriClime finally dies.

Mags
12-22-2006, 17:53
So are you carrying just the Driclime and raingear in three season conditions? No other insulatory layer or baselayer garmets?

My layers consist of a GoLite Wisp (an unlined windshirt), a thermal top (lt weight) and the Windshirt.

No fleece, no heavy rain gear.

rswanson
12-22-2006, 18:16
My layers consist of a GoLite Wisp (an unlined windshirt), a thermal top (lt weight) and the Windshirt.

No fleece, no heavy rain gear.

I concur 100%. The most functional, weight-conscious three season torso clothing system consists of a temperature-appropriate baselayer, an ultralight windshirt, lightweight raingear, and a high-loft insulating piece. Fleece and softshell jackets are either outmoded or not as functional for backpacking.

If you're emotionally attached to a particular piece of clothing then you're probably going to bring it no matter what. But if an individual is looking for his/her best options based on versatility, performance, and weight, heavyweight fleece layers and next-to-skin fabrics simply don't fit the bill. They do have their applications, just not backpacking.

highway
12-22-2006, 19:23

Layer 1 = Capiline tank top
Layer 2 = capilene Tee
Layer 3 = Railrider Eco=mesh shirt
Layer 4 = marmont driclime windshirt
layer 4 = Rain gear (ID poncho or
Shorts = Railriders Sawtooth shorts

i wear the same stuff on each trip. The shorts and tee through a number of airports the last 3-4 years and they still look good enough to do it comfortably in. I dont think either will wear out anytime soon. The marmont windshirt is wetting out quicker but it has probably been washed 30-40 times now. They sent me a two bottle preparation to rejuvenate it and I thought I'd wait till I was closer to starting the At again in April.

highway
12-22-2006, 19:32
For backpacking I've never quite seen the benefit of shirts like the Driclime. For most temp ranges, you're going to be wearing/carrying an additional baselayer since wearing the Driclime may be too hot and you need something else to wear when you take it off. A lighter windshirt like the Marmot Ion or aforementioned Montbell shell makes more sense in this case, saving you 10-11 ounces over the Driclime. I guess for biking or trail runs in cooler weather and the like the Driclime might make a good outer layer but why carry the extra weight when you need a more versitile system that will protect you over a wider range of conditions?

If you're set on this type of windshirt, take a look at the Mountain Hardwear Transition (http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Product.aspx?top=1&prod=832&cat=25&viewAll=False)as well. There are zip-t and full zip versions. I've heard good things about the material vs. the Driclime with regards to breathability.

A size XL weighs 14 ounces. its used so you dont need to take more. Dont be so quick to judge unless you learn what its designed for and try it for yourself. You'll like it:D

The only other item like it-that I am aware of is:

http://www.shop.edirectory.co.uk/penrith_survival/pages/moreinfoa.asp?pe=HJDHQ_+buffalo+teclite+activity+s hirt&cid=55

But it is designed for colder weather and I do three-season only. I can tolerate some snow but only some so I cant use it. But were I to be a northerner and doing winter camping i would certainly use it.

Ewker
12-22-2006, 19:56
are you guys talking about a shirt or a jacket. When I look up a driclime windshirt it shows a jacket. Are they one in the same?

Johnny Swank
12-22-2006, 20:00
That's the thing about the DriClime and it's variants - it allows me to ditch at least 1-2 layers because of it's versitility. Weightwise it's probably a wash, and if you went with the Montbell piece it might actually be lighter than a thermal undershirt+windshirt.

I didn't buy into this thing at all until I bought one, and I about choked forking over the money for it during my thru-hike, but man I've worn this this thing at least 300 times and it still works great.

Johnny Swank
12-22-2006, 20:01
It's called a windshirt, but it has a full length zipper. That, to me, is one of the things that makes it so versatile over a wide temperature range.

highway
12-22-2006, 20:04
call 'em and complain that they need to make it again with the hood. I do it when I think about it. No luck though:D

Johnny Swank
12-22-2006, 20:13
I should have picked one of those up when I had the chance. They were practically giving them away via prodeals for awhile. I usually hate hoods, but I 'd be willing to give that an exception. I think it'd be a great winter piece to sleep in if nothing else.

highway
12-22-2006, 21:19
are you guys talking about a shirt or a jacket. When I look up a driclime windshirt it shows a jacket. Are they one in the same?

Marmont wind clothing:

http://marmot.com/products/subcat.php?cat=cloth&subcat=13

Windshirt:

http://marmot.com/products/product.php?cat=cloth&subcat=13&style_id=I5607

The jacket is not as breathable, but more water repellant with its DWR finish. At first blush the impulse would be to opt for it instead of the more breathable windshirt but, not being as breathable, it want dry as quickly. I prefer the more breathable version-to stay drier.

highway
12-22-2006, 21:22
I have not tested the jacket version, so I honestly cannot comment upon its effectiveness, other than to just surmise. perhaps someone else has done so, used it correctly, and can give an honest opinion. I would be interested in hearing it.

(I have to proof before i hit the send button or at least gather ther edit capability) (darn@##%$!*&^)

highway
02-15-2007, 16:33
Here is one for sale on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320083256451&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=011