PDA

View Full Version : Dont hate me......Gear critique needed

Dogginfox
12-21-2006, 22:13
This is for my Thru attempt coming up. any and all criticism welcome

Pack- Osprey Atmos 50 (Med)

Bag- TNF Orion (20 deg, May switch to Big Agnes Pomer Hoit)

Shelter- Hennesey Hammock
3/4 Therma Rest
9' Tarp
4 Stakes

Kitchen- MSR Ti Kettle
MSR Ti Mug
Brunton Folding Ti Spork
Alc Stove
20oz Fuel Bottle (soda)
Windscreen
Matches
Bic Lighter
Pot Coozie

Clothing- Marmot Mid wt Thermal long sleeve Top
" " Mid wt Thermal Pants
GoLite Wicking Tshirt
Marmot Precip Rain Pants
REI Rain Jacket
Mountian Hardware Micro Fleece Beanie
Sierra Design Down Boots
Moonstone Fleece
Trail Runners
3pr Hiking Socks

Hygiene- 1st Aid Kit
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Hand Sanitizer
Mouthwash
Chapstick
Fingernail Clippers

Other- Petzl Tikka XP Headlamp
Timex Digital Watch (w/ Electronic Compass)
Crocs
Bandanna
2 Razor Blades
150' Reflective Rope
3 Stuff Sacks (Clothes, Food, Sleeping Bag)
Polar Pure
2 Liter Water Bag
2 Liter Hydration Bladder

Needed (Please Recommend)

Knife/Multi Tool
Gloves
Fleece Pants (Cold Nights)
Gators (Short)
Camera (Thinking Sony Handy Cam H-2)

Ok thats about it let the comments rip

rafe
12-21-2006, 22:50
Looks cool to me. Just one question... have you practiced using this kit? Taken any decent hikes with it? The proof is in the pudding...

(OK, very minor item: 150' of line is prolly way more than you need.)
Knife: Gerber LST. Gaiters: optional. Gloves: lightweight fleece

highway
12-21-2006, 22:57
I'd take a smaller container for alcohol.You dont need 20 oz.Thats more than one pound of alcohol to last you maybe 4-5 days tops before resupply. Cut that in half or better.
2 pair pants? Certainly not two. Do you really need them at all?
4 liters water? half that
150' rope. Thats cord, right? take 100' off that.
I would forego nail clippers for small leatherman licra-more useful
Down boots? Are you sure you need them?
Goofy Gaiters? Leave them off

Jack Tarlin
12-21-2006, 23:17
I think your list is fine.

Other things you might want to consider taking along:

*Journal/Pen
*Extra Batteries
*Maps/Trail Guide
*Book (To read)

*Repair Kit: Duct tape; a few safety pins, Painkillers, etc.
*T.P.
*An Extra Bandana
*A warmer hat if you're leaving early in the season
*Maybe I missed 'em, but you might wanna bring a pair of hiking shorts!

*Personal decision, but I wouldn't hike without trekking poles.

shades of blue
12-21-2006, 23:23
Have you tested your hammock in cold weather? If you are going with a pad for warmth, you may want a longer pad (depending on your height of course). I have a speer hammock, and hammock camping in cold weather is an art that I am personally still learning, and I've hiked the northern half of the trail with my hammock and parts of the south. I'm just not sure if your 3/4 length pad and 20 degree bag will keep you warm and safe. Other people with the Hennessey hammock may want to chime in here.

hopefulhiker
12-21-2006, 23:27
I carried that little midnight manager swiss army knife with the light, sissors and pen.

The extra fleece pants were the first thing I sent home.

Would definetly use the short gators.

I would get one of those little panoramic wide angle digital cameras with the stictching feature...

Skidsteer
12-21-2006, 23:29
I think your list is fine.

Other things you might want to consider taking along:

*Journal/Pen
*Extra Batteries
*Maps/Trail Guide
*Book (To read)

*T.P.
*An Extra Bandana
*A warmer hat if you're leaving early in the season
*Maybe I missed 'em, but you might wanna bring a pair of hiking shorts!

*Personal decision, but I wouldn't hike without trekking poles.

:D Trekking poles are multi-use. You can wrap duct tape or even T.P. around the handles.

rafe
12-21-2006, 23:29
[quote=Jack Tarlin;290248]I think your list is fine.

With regard to OTC (over the counter) drugs: Ibuprofen for sore muscles at the end of the day (aka "Vitamin I") and Benadryl, for bee stings, poison ivy, that sort of thing. Either/both of these are useful for dealing with insomnia.

Dawn
12-21-2006, 23:52
Good list and good comments so far. Of course, I'm working on my list too! For a camera I got the Canon PowerShot SD600 Elph. It's pretty light. I like the leatherman micra for a knife. How much does your Moonstone fleece weigh? I still haven't decided on that layer.

Dogginfox
12-22-2006, 00:04
Thanks for the quick responses keep them coming!!!!!!!!!

Sorry i forgot to add the REI Lined Running shorts and treking poles

Im only taking one pr of real pants the rain pants the "other" pair are the marmot thermals

I have used my hammock setup down to -7 F (wind chill) I was COLD but i survived. im thinking a warmer bag may help some here but with a weight trade off of course.

Thanks again

bfitz
12-22-2006, 01:44
Definitely want poles. Might switch out the crocs for tevas or something, since you can hike in those if you feel like, or a shoe blows out. I've seen a girl with a croc duct-taped to one foot and a shoe on the other. She didn't look too happy about it. Another I know hiked many miles with those little slip on flexible shoes with grippy but thin soles, hard on her feet...she did damage that dogged her all the way to katahdin. Also, a frisbee, hackeysack, mini-chess, cards, dice, props for your magic tricks or some other lightweight entertainment. Good for social interaction at shelters. I never play chess at home but on the trail I suddenly have time for a chess game!

Beachwalker
12-22-2006, 16:18
There's no beer on your list... you'll never make it! :D

Seriously though, good list and comments from above... but I would definitely take that kit out for a 2-3 day trip just to get a feel for it. You'll be surprised how much theory changes in practice.

-- BW

Seeker
12-22-2006, 16:41
you need more insulation with a hammock than just the 3/4 length pad. and with a hammock, you won't need the cushioning of a thermarest. for about a pound, you can get a full length 22'' wide blue foam pad with some side extensions on it and do just fine. but maybe you planned it that way to have something to lay on in a shelter. still not enough to stay warm in your hammock though, imho.

Knife/Multi Tool - gerber licra or swiss army knife classic (just a blade, scissors, nail file, for about an ounce.)

Fleece Pants (Cold Nights) - walmart sells a set of fleece pajama bottoms for about $15, closer to $9 on clearance.

you can use an 8 or 12oz bottle for alcohol. of course, you can also carry the 20oz bottle and just carry 10oz of alcohol in it...

finally, just asking 'why?' to the following:
gaiters (guess it depends when you start), ti cup (vs plastic), mouthwash.

rswanson
12-22-2006, 16:44
I have used my hammock setup down to -7 F (wind chill) I was COLD but i survived. im thinking a warmer bag may help some here but with a weight trade off of course.
A warmer bag isn't really going to help you in your hammock. The loft is compressed under you and provides little benefit. All you're doing is carrying extra weight around. This is why many serious hammockers use quilts. I would think you'd be cold with only an average thickness thermarest under you. You might be able to throw your pack under there for some additional insulation but more effective would be an under quilt system. You could bounce it ahead when temps warm up. Check out the hammock forums if you haven't already.

Michele
12-22-2006, 19:42
Your list is extremely similar to mine. I'l also be in a HH, and also recommend an underquilt or at very least...multiple ccf pads. I've been out testing my set-up in cooler temps 3 times now, and have added fleece bottoms and top.

Also, I don't see a packcover or at least something like a trash compactor bag inside of your pack for waterproofing.

I'm getting this knife for christmas....multi-use item w/its built-in whistle:

http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Product.htm?category=everyday&product=53933&

refreeman
12-22-2006, 20:19
Buy your knife on eBay, you will cut its cost in half. Here's one that I use and it is $15 including shipping.
WENGER SWISS ARMY KNIFE:
TETON MODEL, NIB
Item number: 270070928942

http://cgi.ebay.com/WENGER-SWISS-ARMY-KNIFE-TETON-MODEL-NIB_W0QQitemZ270070928942QQihZ017QQcategoryZ48821Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohost ing

10 implements / 13 functions

2.5" 100% Serrated large blade
1.65" Clip point utility blade
2.4" Springless scissors with serrated, self-sharpening design
PhillipsŪ head screwdriver
Can opener
Patented locking screwdriver, cap lifter, wire stripper
Reamer, awl
Toothpick
Tweezers
Key ring
Actual Size: 3.25"
Weight: 2.6 oz
Limited lifetime warranty (http://www.wengerna.com/faq.jsp?cat_id=3#knife_warranty)
Made in Switzerland

refreeman
12-22-2006, 20:28
Here's another person selling the knife.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wenger-Swiss-Army-Knife-New-in-The-Box-FREE-SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ280061875797QQihZ018QQcategoryZ4 8821QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem