PDA

View Full Version : Considering Switching Packs

2009ThruHiker
12-21-2006, 23:03
I currently own an Osprey Aether 70 Large weighing 76oz. I am considering a Granite Gear Vapor Trail weighing in at 34oz...a difference of over 2lbs!
It seems like a no brainer to me, but I'm curious to other peoples thoughts on this move; in particular anyone who has used either pack.

rafe
12-21-2006, 23:09
The Vapor Trail is a beauty, but it's 3600 cubic inches and has a pretty strict load limit of around 25-30 lbs. So first you need to be sure that you can live with those limits. If you can, you'll be happy.

Hammock Hanger
12-21-2006, 23:24
The Vapor Trail is a beauty, but it's 3600 cubic inches and has a pretty strict load limit of around 25-30 lbs. So first you need to be sure that you can live with those limits. If you can, you'll be happy.
I agree with Terrapin Too. Small bags are great, but you have to be able to deal with the restrictions and limits of a small pack. I have seen hikers with these little packs stretched out to the max, things dangling on the outside etc... Way past the weight limit of the pack. Your back won;t be happy with the pack unless you are committed to lightwt packing.

I use to carry a 2800 cu in. Loved it except in winter, no room to share meant no fleece or warmer gear. I still love it but went with a larger ULA pack just for the extra room.

Jack Tarlin
12-21-2006, 23:37
I agree 100% with the comments above; over the past few years I've either worked part-time, or spent a great deal of time at Outfitters directly on the Trail. While I think Granite Gear makes great stuff, you ABSOLUTELY have to adhere to the weight specs religiously with their product line or your pack will explode in a matter of days from mis-use. I.e., if you exceed the recommended weight even for a short period, you will blow out your pack. I have lost track of how many times I've seen this happen.

Also, you will lose close to 1000 inches of pack capacity by switching to a Vapor Trail. This means you'll have to either buy diffeent gear (i.e. lighter stuff or stuff that compacts beter); you'll have to forego some stuff; or more likely, you'll have to carry a good deal of stuff outside your backpack.

You are correct in that the weight differential is significant. What you get in return, in my opinion, with the Osprey, is a sturdier, better-constructed backpack, that is much more comfortable, and that can hold significantly more stuff inside. For some folks, this is worth carrying an extra two and a half pounds.

2009ThruHiker
12-21-2006, 23:50
Thanks to all! this is very helpful. I need to figure cubic inches of my gear as well as weight to see if this pack will work out.

rafe
12-21-2006, 23:51
Just to be clear. The Vapor trail has a sheet of HDPE plastic as its internal frame. This is just a small cut above packs like the G4/G5 which have no frame at all. This kind of frame will buckle if its load limit is exceeded. It's not so much a matter of the pack exploding or falling apart -- but when the frame buckles, the design has failed, and the pack becomes extremely uncomfortable to wear. You must be committed to staying below its load limit. I would not consider the Vapor Trail for winter hiking.

rmtjr
12-22-2006, 00:03
Check out this link http://www.luxurylite.com/packindex.html I have one of these with the front pack and love it. Its an odd looking duck and you have to accustom yourself to the front pack (if you use it). I have a model that is not sold any more and have used it for a year. Wouldn't use anything else. But, like I said, it is an oddity. Bob

Jack Tarlin
12-22-2006, 00:07
One last possibility is the new Osprey Atmos 65; at 4000 cubes, it's only slightly smaller than your present pack so you wouldn't have to alter your gear or pack it outside; it weighs almost exactly a pound less than your present pack, and is MUCH sturdier and more comfortable (suspension, belt, etc.) than anything by Granite Gear.

Footslogger
12-22-2006, 00:23
I currently own an Osprey Aether 70 Large weighing 76oz. I am considering a Granite Gear Vapor Trail weighing in at 34oz...a difference of over 2lbs!
It seems like a no brainer to me, but I'm curious to other peoples thoughts on this move; in particular anyone who has used either pack.
========================================

I went from a Gregory Reality to the Vapor Trail during my thru in 2003 and never looked back.

Seriously though ...a key question is: will all the gear/clothing you had in the Aether 70 fit in the Vapor Trail. I don't know the answer to that question.

That said, if the Vapor Trail will hold all your stuff I think you'd be very happy with it. Just know that the Vapor Trail does NOT like loads over 26 lbs. The manufacturer says the pack will carry up to 30 lbs but I can tell you from personal experience that the pack starts to "sag" at that point and you're shouldering the load.

'Slogger

Shake_N_Bake
12-22-2006, 01:15
I made the exact switch mentioned above. I found I was not using the space or features that the Aether offered. Sold it, bought the Vapor Trail and could not be happier. As others have mentioned the rest of your gear needs to fit the new "system" for the VT to work for you. If it does I think you will be very happy.

As an added bonus, I sold the Aether for more than it cost for my new VT.:D

gumball
12-22-2006, 06:20
I also made an almost exact Osprey to GG Vapor Ki switch--loved my Osprey, but too heavy. No regrets--its was part of an overall gear re-doing...decided I really loved hiking and started investing in better, lighter gear I'd be comfortable with. I'm only a 110 lb small framed woman, the heavy stuff wasn't making my trip any more "comfortable"...good luck if you make the switch. I love my Vapor Ki and the ligther approach to packing.

Footslogger
12-22-2006, 09:54
Taking my earlier post one step further ...I'm actually looking at the GG Nimbus Ozone now. Not to replace my Vapor Trail though. I'm beginning to pull my plans together for a PCT thru and need a lightweight pack that can handle loads COMFORTABLY in the 30 - 35 lb range, due to the extended re-supply intervals and the ocassional need to carry large quantities of water.

After my experience with the Vapor Trail the decision to go Nimbus Ozone was an easy one ...

Reason for bringing this up is that if your current load won't fit well in the Vapor Trail you might want to consider the Nimbus Ozone. A pound heavier empty but has a suspension system that can handle a heavier load and still boast the comfort of the Vapor Trail.

'Slogger

greentick
12-22-2006, 10:09
I hadn't heard anything before about the VT sagging. I am thinking about picking one up after Christmas. I picked up a Gregory G-pack (older style) on clearance a few years ago for $45 and have stuffed 35# in it. It carried really well IMO and I was surprised as the listed weight limit is 25#. That being said, the seams where the straps connect do show some signs of pulling apart, tho slight. I was hoping the VT would be able to pack some extra over the limit in a pinch. Might have to reconsider...

Footslogger
12-22-2006, 10:12
[quote=Greentick18d;290454]I hadn't heard anything before about the VT sagging. I am thinking about picking one up after Christmas.

=================================================

Yeah ...the HDPU frame sheet "buckles" and bows outward away from your back under loads of 30 lbs or so. What that does is allow the pack to sag or drop on your back, regardless of how snug the hip belt is. That is why the GG specification is a bit misleading.

At 24 - 26 lbs the packs is tremendous !!

'Slogger

greentick
12-22-2006, 10:18
...regardless of how snug the hip belt is. That is why the GG specification is a bit misleading.

At 24 - 26 lbs the packs is tremendous !!

'Slogger

Thanks for the heads up 'slogger.

rafe
12-22-2006, 10:40
I hadn't heard anything before about the VT sagging ... I was hoping the VT would be able to pack some extra over the limit in a pinch. Might have to reconsider...

There's no free lunch, unfortunately. If you must carry the extra load, go for the next model up in the Granite Gear line, or something else entirely.

MileMonster
12-22-2006, 10:50
I suggest a ULA pack.

John B
12-22-2006, 11:45
If you're not going to thruhike until 2009, I wouldn't buy anything at all just yet. Given how quickly things change and, if we're lucky, sometimes actually get better (lighter, stronger, cheaper, more durable), I'd wait until shortly before you depart to make any new purchases.

rafe
12-22-2006, 11:58
If you're not going to thruhike until 2009, I wouldn't buy anything at all just yet. Given how quickly things change and, if we're lucky, sometimes actually get better (lighter, stronger, cheaper, more durable), I'd wait until shortly before you depart to make any new purchases.

Prolly the best advice of all. But you know, sometimes the siren call of the VISA card is just too hard to resist. :D

karo
12-22-2006, 21:11
I love my GG Vapor Trail, it has helped me get my weight down also. But I do agree you need to keep it under 25# if possible. I checked out GG site yesterday and they do have some new packs. So it might be a good idea to wait. Or get you an older model now at a discounted price and wait for a new pack when you get closer to the thru-hike.

troglobil
12-22-2006, 21:26
I am also looking at something smaller than my Aether70. I have been eyeing the North Face Skarab 55. I looked at the GG Vapor Trail, but I prefer to have something in the way of pockets. The Skarab fits this bill, and the size should be right. Problem is I can't find anybody who has used one to give first hand opinions on it. Anybody out there use one?

Almost There
12-23-2006, 00:27
4lb 12oz for an Aether 70??? In size large with a capacity of 4400 cubic inches. The question is do you intend to hike in the winter at all. If so then this is an excellent blend of small pack and large pack. Great capacity and comfort at a fairly low weight when compared to packs like the Gregory Palisade at almost 7lbs. I had a pack fail on me one summer...ended my hike. Therefore I want something I can use for more than one year...and that will make any load I want to carry a fairly comfortable ride.

The point is we worry so much about how light our pack is....but watch a documentary like 5 million steps, see the packs that they were carrying in the 80s. Less than 5lbs is still incredibly light when you really think about it, but to each his own. I just know too many people that have been miserable with lighter packs like some of the ULA, Go-Lite, and Granite Gear packs when loaded near or over their max capacity.

rafe
12-23-2006, 01:16
The point is we worry so much about how light our pack is....but watch a documentary like 5 million steps, see the packs that they were carrying in the 80s. Less than 5lbs is still incredibly light when you really think about it, but to each his own.

Good point. Those old packs were made for schlepping. It was easy to organize your gear in one of those. That said, I'm looking forward to carrying less (and lighter) gear with a pack that weighs 2 lbs instead of 4 lbs. It's going to require some re-grooving of old habits, for sure. I've done enough stomping thru the woods to appreciate a lighter load on the back.

Frosty
12-23-2006, 12:20
see the packs that they were carrying in the 80s. I still have a couple in my attic. I have an external frame pack that seems to be designed just for me, best suspension ever. Large, and I mean LARGE, loads never bothered me.

But back in the 80's my knees were only 40 years old and didn't mind. Now they object if I carry even half as much as I used to, and they don't care how nice the load feels on my shoulders/back. They know the difference between 60 pounds and 25 pounds, and they never hesitate to tell me.