PDA

View Full Version : Multiple questions

clm42
12-21-2006, 23:35
5/6 till 8/14 is approx the time I would have to do the trail. Thats 100 days. Me and the guy Im for sure hiking with will be going sobo from somewhere in the middle. Where would be a good place to start from? Exact middle isnt important. Can I get to Keys Gap, VA by bus or train? I want to do a through hike and while the 21 mile/day isnt a big deal for me, it is for my companion however so while I would like to thru it, its probably a no go. Which brings me to another question, how do you middle aged folks get out of work to go on a 5 month hike? I can take summers off of college and the retired folks can go out but what about everyone else?

Sly
12-21-2006, 23:42
Which brings me to another question, how do you middle aged folks get out of work to go on a 5 month hike?

Some get the time off, others like myself, just quit and find another job.

Jack Tarlin
12-21-2006, 23:52
Keys Gap is kinda in the middle of nowhere; your best bet might be to get to Harpers Ferry WV (or Charles Town WV) by bus or Train, and then get a shuttle to Keys Gap which is not far away. Or just get to Harpers and start south from there; Keys Gap is only around 6 miles South of there via Trail.

It takes most folks in the neighborhood of 75-85 days to hike from Harpers Ferry to Springer; since you have 100 days to work with, you could probably do most of Pennsylvania as well if you wanted to, i.e. you could start at Pine Grove Furnace Park, for example, which is very close to the Trail's halfway mark. Otherwise, Harpers Ferry, which is considered the unofficial halfway point would be a fine place to either start or finish a trip.

rafe
12-21-2006, 23:58
How do you middle aged folks get out of work to go on a 5 month hike? I can take summers off of college and the retired folks can go out but what about everyone else?

Everyone's got a different story. I'd just gotten through a divorce, and had some cash from savings and the divorce settlement. We had no kids, no major debts. Asked for a leave of absence. Didn't get it, so I just quit. By January of the following year I was back into "full employment" mode, where I remain. :(

Blissful
12-22-2006, 00:07
I am a stay-at-home writer and home schooled my son. My book editors are fine about the hike, so long as I can get my edits in on time when I am in towns, etc. I hope to get as much done as possible though before March 1st. Schooling is finished with my son who is attending communty college. He will take a semester off to hike with me.

My hubby will hike a few weeks with us but he will be at home working.

ARambler
12-22-2006, 00:09
Keys Gap is micro managing a little too much.
Lots of people take the train in and out of Harpers Ferry, to Washington DC and beyond. That's a little south of the half way point, but you will start well ahead of the main pack.

Since there is an excellent chance your companion will get in good shape or drop out, you should consider taking public transit to Charlottesville, VA and starting at Rockfish Gap.
Rambler

Blue Jay
12-22-2006, 00:15
Which brings me to another question, how do you middle aged folks get out of work to go on a 5 month hike?

We're not slaves. They don't come and hunt us down and force us to work.
We are free human beings and can hike whenever we want. True, very few people know this, so don't tell anyone.

ARambler
12-22-2006, 00:18
Sorry, I didn't see the SOBO. If that is required, read Jack's response.

However, I think that is a really bad idea both logistically and time of year. If you need to do the Southern section, why not start at Springer and head north? It will be a lot cooler if you head north from the middle. If you want to do the whole trail in 2 summers, why not start in Marian, VA and hike north. The second year you will have less of the hot south to do and you can spend July and August in New England.
Rambler

Spirit Walker
12-22-2006, 00:23
Why not start at Springer and just hike as far as you can in the 100 days available??

As to the other, add me as one who works for a few years, saves money, then goes hiking. Afterwards I head back to work to save money for the next one. Same for my husband. I've done that cycle 4 times (but five different hikes). I was one of the minority of middle aged hikers. My first hike was at age 32, my husband was 53 for his first hike. He finally retired this year, but I'll have to go back to work sooner or later. If you have a career you love, you can't do that. Before his first hike, my husband had burned out after 30 years as an engineer. I just have jobs - not a career that I care about.