PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Osprey Atmos 50 Users

stringbean
12-22-2006, 01:29
I have an Osprey Atmos 50 and a Camelbak 3L Unbottle. As you guys know this doesn't work out well if you want to hang it between the frame and mesh. Its too big. I know I need a smaller water bladder but I just want to hear from all the Atmos 50 users what they are using, what works, and what doesn't work. I have just the right amount of room for my sleeping bag, clothes, and food in the main compartment, so I am basically looking for something that works well between the mesh and frame.

JJB
12-22-2006, 03:13
I hang a Nalgene 2 l., it fits just right. I also had to try a couple before I found one that fit. Still in love with the pack. Best comfort/weight that's out there. IMHO. Although the Forester comes out in the winter.Peace. JJB.

stringbean
12-22-2006, 03:21
I will definately have to check one of those out. How durable are the Nalgenes? I love the pack too, it fits perfectly and I love the way its set up.

D'Artagnan
12-22-2006, 09:20
I snagged the 2L I had in a Camelbak. My only complaint was that since the bladder was right next to my back, it didn't take long for the water to really heat up. Minor complaint but otherwise a kiss-ass pack. I'm jonesing for the 65 that's out this year.

Birdstar07
12-22-2006, 10:19
I Have A 3L Blatter I Got Out Of My Kelty Pack, But I Don't Put It In The Same Spot You Do. I Think The Water Would Get Warm And The Blatter Would Flop Around. I Put My Blatter Inside The Pack, Inside The Long And Narrow Pocket. It Fits Perfect And I Can Fit All My Gear And Then Some. The Atoms 50 Is The Best Pack I've Ever Owned!! Goodluck With You're Problem!

DGrav
12-22-2006, 10:57
I have a Nalgene 3 liter that fits perfectly. I usually carry two wide mouth Aquafina bottles also. I leave these empty while hiking and fill up both bottles and the bladder at the end of the day. I use the two bottles for cooking dinner & breakfast. This leaves my bladder ready for the next days walking. No filtering in the morning!:banana

bigmontana
12-22-2006, 12:48
I have the Atmos 50 (Large) and the Camelbak 3L. In my pack the Camelbak fits with no problems... just heats up against my back. I don't really care that much though. It also doesn't allow as much air flow on my back, but that' usually doesn't matter either. Get a Platypus if your Camelbak isn't working. You could also put the pack in one of the big outer side sleeves. I keep a Platypus 2L there for when I have to camp without water.

Cuffs
12-22-2006, 14:16
I just got my Atmos 50. I use a Gregory 3L bladder in the air space that you mention, it fits fine... I do worry about the warming of the water tho...

JJB
12-22-2006, 14:27
I looked at and tried a couple of different bladders before I settled on the Nalgene. I bought a MSR and it looked like the dog ears that you hang it from would rip off in a couple of trips. The camelback one weren't not much better. The two liter Nalgene fit well, didn't interfere with the suspension, and I have about 35 days on the trail with this setup with no complaints. Peace. JJB.

stringbean
12-22-2006, 16:41
wow thanks for all the replies guys! i didn't realize there were so many atmos users out there. its a great pack, and while i have your attention, i'll ask another question. i sleep in a hammock and use a blue foam pad. i keep it strapped to the outside. does anyone else do this? how do they keep it dry? pack cover, keep it in a trash bag, or use a large poncho that covers the whole pack? i can't wait to get this pack on the trail with me this summer!

bigmontana
12-26-2006, 11:41
I used to have the "square" ThermaRest strapped to the outside on the bottom pad straps supplied with the pack. That worked fine, but it really annoyed the heck out of me as it caught on everything I went by and seemed to be a haven for ticks & spiders (a good way for them to end up in your tent too). I eventually got the better ThermaRest that is inflatable... that fits snugly in the bottom of the pack for me and makes the pack hike better since there's not a big brick on the outside slowing me down. My pack cover could not go over my pad when it was strapped to the outside. You'll need to get a sack for it I imagine. That's what my friends do.