PDA

View Full Version : GPS tracking

laniamore
12-22-2006, 12:07
Being that I am the 'baby' of the family and the last to leave, my goal of thru hiking the AT after I graduate college has my mom rather worried. She'll give me support under one condition - If I take a GPS tracking system with me. I know they make these for pets - a collar or chip that is tracked by satellite and you can see where your pet is via the internet. Is there something like this that I can take with me? In my searches for GPS on the net I've only been getting car gadgets and hand held GPS map systems. My mom wants to be able to look up on the net each day where I am. Any one know of anything? I'm not worried about price (although cheap would be nice) or weight, cause I don't have a choice! Ha! Thanks in advance.

Sly
12-22-2006, 12:13
I'm sure they have something. They have Lojack for cars, laptops.

Touch of Grey
12-22-2006, 12:15
I seem to remember recently seeing a commercial on the boob-tube for a company whose cell phones allowed one to track and monitor their children susage of the cell phone. I'm sure it was one of the major companies like Singular or Nextel, I don't think it was Verizon. Check out the cell phone companies. Most of the newer cell phones have GPS built into them and so are fully trackable by the police when they activate a certain code. Yes it is shades of BIG Brother watching you but then what doesn't BB already pay attention too that he probably should not.

TOG

Sly
12-22-2006, 12:18
http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2005/10/10/location_tracking____for_people_products_places___ _is_fast_coming_into_its_own/

Frosty
12-22-2006, 12:43
Being that I am the 'baby' of the family and the last to leave, my goal of thru hiking the AT after I graduate college has my mom rather worried. She'll give me support under one condition - If I take a GPS tracking system with me. I know they make these for pets - a collar or chip that is tracked by satellite and you can see where your pet is via the internet. Is there something like this that I can take with me? In my searches for GPS on the net I've only been getting car gadgets and hand held GPS map systems. My mom wants to be able to look up on the net each day where I am. Any one know of anything? I'm not worried about price (although cheap would be nice) or weight, cause I don't have a choice! Ha! Thanks in advance.http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/realtime-gpstrackingsystem.html

But why not just get a cell phone and call her every day? Lighter, cheaper, more useful. You can talk with her. Get you and her a phone with the same provider (like Cingular's Family Plan) and all your phone conversations with her 24/7 are free.

You should have coverage somewhere on the trail every day for the first three weeks (until the Smokies). Then for a week she will have to live with the idea that she won't know your exact whereabouts, but that is part of parenting (letting go when kids are adults).

SalParadise
12-22-2006, 13:12
my mom was worried, too (not that worried, though), and once I survived the first week she relaxed a lot.

I'm thinking the same thing as Frosty; what about a cell phone? Even if you couldn't call the authorities could track your signal to you if you got lost.

Good luck finding the device. My folks' worries gradually subsided the farther I got along the Trail, so hopefully that will happen to you, too.

have you bought the good topo map set yet? With those you'll know where you are for miles off the Trail, whether you're on a blue-blaze, where the roads are, or even if you're bushwacking. Plop one of those down in front of your mom and show her how they work and maybe that will help.

bigmontana
12-22-2006, 13:18
For active GPS tracking to work, you have to have communication back to a network of some kind. GPS satellites do not do this. They are essentially one way... they send a signal to your device telling you where you are. That means you must be in the range of a cell tower or similar network to have a tracker work. This will not work well on the AT, maybe you could get it to update once a day, but you'd almost be better off not worrying about that and instead calling home every few days. Sign shelter registers and call regular. It's pretty safe out there.

Mags
12-22-2006, 13:24
I apologize for getting off on a tangent...but you are 21 years old.

Calmly explain to mom that you are too old to be tracked every day. Also explain that though the AT is not as wild as other places, checking in every day may not always be an option. Tell her you can check in often as possible (a cell phone would be practical for that), but
being constantly monitored is not feasible and that it may detract from the experience of your hike.

By all means, make your mom fell at ease..but not at the expense of your own hike.

Just my .02 worth. (My Mom is also very much a "worry-wart". Had to move 2000 miles away just to preserve my own sanity. :D Just kidding..well maybe!)

Ender
12-22-2006, 13:48
I hope you're not the one who's going to have to pay for this? If you are, don't bother, and just call in whenever you get to town. If they're paying, then whatever floats their boat, as long as you don't mind being monitored Orwellian style.

RiverWarriorPJ
12-22-2006, 13:57
Just buy the dog collar.....the transmitter isn't that big once the collar is removed....then, when the hike is over, give to a friend w/a dog as a Christmas present..

Cuffs
12-22-2006, 14:13
Ok, my turn...

the dog collar tracker only works if the receiver is within a specified distance of the collar. its not going to work if you are in VA and the receiver is in (insert whatever state here).

The phone tracking is not going to work either, they cannot track your phone to you. People have been watching too much CSI. There is triangulation technology, however, the phone has to be in use (ie: youre on it and talking...)

As for the GPS tracking, they DO work by satellite, I use them on a daily basis. However, the cost of tracking is astronomical. the unit alone is about $300 (and thats the cheap one!) then theres the tracking costs, they run about $50 a day. Yes, A DAY! (and ususally more) That is for live time tracking via the internet. There are passive tracking devices, but that defeats your purpose. (these devices just keep a log of your position, and you download that info once you retrieve the device.)

Two Speed
12-22-2006, 14:26
AHG, what impact would the valleys and other obstructions to the horizon have on these units? Just in case anyone can't tell I'm leaning away from a GPS unit and more to phoning home, signing in at trail registers, etc.

RevLee
12-22-2006, 15:50
Instead of a GPS tracker, you could opt for a Personal Locator Beacon. You only activate it in case of emergency and it sends a signal by satellite to search and rescue units. They cost $600-800, but have no service fees, or you can rent them for about $50 per week.

Johnny Swank
12-22-2006, 15:52
I think this idea isn't very realistic. The AT isn't some sort of extended wilderness trek into the darkest unknowns. If you're doing a typical northbound hike, you're going to have to make an effort to NOT be around people if nothing else.

I know about the worried Mom syndrome, but this isn't healthy for either of you. Call in on a regular basis, but she's going to have to understand that her darlin' baby (and I'm the still the baby at 36 years old) isn't going to be available or trackable 24/7. Learning how to deal with that seperation, and maintaining good relationships are a valuable lesson that the trail can teach.

Cuffs
12-22-2006, 15:56
AHG, what impact would the valleys and other obstructions to the horizon have on these units? Just in case anyone can't tell I'm leaning away from a GPS unit and more to phoning home, signing in at trail registers, etc.

The GPS trackers are not impacted by hills/valleys too much. A regular handheld GPS device IS affected by tree coverage and valleys.

Now, as a geocacher (hidden "treasure" around the world - geocaching.com) I have found that there are almost 300 caches or "treasures" along the AT. These are located by using lat/long coordinates, found on the above site. I think, not sure yet, but I may carry my handheld device on my trip, and see if I can find a few along the way.

bigmontana
12-22-2006, 16:06
ALHikerGal ~ Many smaller, personal ones do not work by satellite, they use cellular signals (i.e. cell towers) to communicate GPS coordinates to a server somewhere, unless you have a specific service though a company with a satellite (or satellite cellular) which, as you've said, is very expensive because they are generally used for businesses in fleet tracking. I was just making the point that just because it says GPS and live tracking doesn't mean that it will be comm'ing back through a satellite. Not having a sat uplink will make it a poor choice.

Bravo
12-22-2006, 16:56
I apologize for getting off on a tangent...but you are 21 years old.

Calmly explain to mom that you are too old to be tracked every day. Also explain that though the AT is not as wild as other places, checking in every day may not always be an option. Tell her you can check in often as possible (a cell phone would be practical for that), but
being constantly monitored is not feasible and that it may detract from the experience of your hike.

By all means, make your mom fell at ease..but not at the expense of your own hike.

Just my .02 worth. (My Mom is also very much a "worry-wart". Had to move 2000 miles away just to preserve my own sanity. :D Just kidding..well maybe!)

Agreed!!! You're 21. Love your mom and Grow Up.:D

SalParadise
12-22-2006, 17:01
I second the notion. I hadn't even noticed your age, I was assuming you were high school age. Time to cut some strings.

SergeStorms
12-26-2006, 20:02
Tell her that what she is asking is technologically impossible. Then offer her the next best solution: a cell phone. You can call or send a text msg everyday from the trail. Any reasonable mother should accept the compromise.

SillyGirl
12-26-2006, 23:38
Okay. I have not read every single comment posted, so I apologize if this is at all repetative of anything else that has been said. I am hiking a large section of the trail this summer, my parents are also worried and I am also 21. Really, you are old enough to make your own decisions and do what you want to do, so thats the first thing your parents have to realize. It is possible I will bring a cell phone to ease my parents worries, however, it WILL be left off at all times unless I encounter an absolute emergency and am on the very of death :). Aside from that I am leaving a rough- very rough itinerary, this way my mom will know approximately where I am and when I get into town I can call her. I have told her that if I dont call on the exact day I am supposed to she should not panic. She should look at the weather and see if there is any reason why I have may have taken a zero day. If she goes more then 2-3 days without hearing from me on my "scheduled" day then she can start to worry. I think this is a good plan. gps seems to be taking it far, detracting from the point of the hike, and kind of a pain in the ass. Although hiking the AT is a personal thing and means something different to everyone, so if you want to carry something- go for it.
Parents never can know where their kids are at all times. Yours will get used to the idea. We have to take risks in life :) Hope this helped, and best of luck to you.

JohnK
12-27-2006, 02:14
http://www.nextel.com/en/services/gps/mobile_locator.shtml

ARambler
12-27-2006, 12:45
I second the notion. I hadn't even noticed your age, I was assuming you were high school age. Time to cut some strings.

When you start taking advise on how to treat your mom from us WB'ers you may become old, but definitely not wise.

I have seen many men who have been married 21++ years who have to call home every day. Their wives, and your mom, quickly learn that this is not possible a couple of times a week. You will generally not get good cell phone reception at your camp. The shelters and campsites are protected and often low enough to be near water. However, calling from a high point once a day is often possible. You can leave a voice (or text) message with your status/love.

You probably want to get on your family's cell plan. If you have some flexibility, you may want to search this site for advice on plans. I found Cingular was not as good as Verizon in the south (but this is 2 year old info.)

You will need to leave the phone off to preserve battery life (and well protected). I bounced my charger, but you will need to carry one or a spare battery.

There are many other things you can do to keep your mother better connected. 1) Make sure see has a copy of the Companion and possibly your itinerary spreadsheet that she can update (avail. for $10). 2) Give her a list of towns where she can send care packages big enough to shut-up all of those WB'ers complaining about your mom. 3) You might consider getting pocket mail, and keeping a Trailjournals.com. However, if you are doing this for someone else, you may have trouble following through and create more stress than you solve. 4) Hike with BUG, Big Ugly Guy. A (imaginary?) friend you met on Springer that mom is sure will protect you. 5) Tell her NOT to rent out your room. That will get her thinking clearly. Expect me, or some more reputable tenant, to move in before you get to Damascus.
Rambler

Mags
12-27-2006, 13:19
The local newspaper has an outdoor column. Yesterday's column strongly suggested bringin a cell phone and a personal locator beacon.

My question is this: Why are we (a society) obsessed with always being located and so worry about personal safety? What ever happened to going out and taking the wilderness on its own terms? Having the skills to be comfortable and safe in the backcountry? Its getting to the point where if you go out for an afternoon trail run (the article was about trail running) that people are looking at you weird if you go solo w/o a phone...and they are pushing $500 "Personal Locator Beacons".

There is such thing as prudent caution in the backcountry. There is also such thing as letting our fears make us taking unneeded gadgets and mental burdens.

Seems people are relying more on gadgets and less on themselves to be “safe” in the backcountry. Don’t know how to a read a map? A cell phone will save me if I get lost! Afraid of bad weather? My $400 shell that XYZ Glossy Outdoor Magazine said I absolutely need will make me enjoy the backcountry so much more! Want to make your gear load easier? The UltraExpensivePack will practically carry the gear for you!

As a culture we value perceived safety over the unknown. The sure path that something that may be bit scary but more rewarding.

To quote Cactus Ed:
A venturesome minority will always be eager to set off on their own,
and no obstacles should be placed in their path; let them take risks, for godsake,
let them get lost, sunburnt, stranded, drowned, eaten by bears, buried alive
under avalanches - that is the right and privilege of any free American.
Society is making it more difficult to be a "venturesome minority". With this mania on "Always being found", the backcountry is becoming a less and less wild place.

Just my .02

Mags
12-27-2006, 13:36
When you start taking advise on how to treat your mom from us WB'ers you may become old, but definitely not wise.

There is a big difference between calling Mom and being located at all times. I don;t care if I was married for 21+ years, if my wife wanted to know where I was at all times...well, not sure if I would have married that person in the first place. :)

Ender
12-27-2006, 13:52
What ever happened to going out and taking the wilderness on its own terms? .....

I couldn't agree more. Why is risk considered such a bad thing? Risk is what gives life its rewards. Otherwise, what's the point? Yeah, you don't always win, but that's kinda the point also.

ARambler
12-27-2006, 14:58
There is a big difference between calling Mom and being located at all times. I don;t care if I was married for 21+ years, if my wife wanted to know where I was at all times...well, not sure if I would have married that person in the first place. :)

1) Due to the technical issues stated above, Danielle's mom is not going to get everything she wants.
2) I'm amused that HYOH does not apply to: Keep your own Mom. If my mom was as sane as Paul's I would have just had to inherit my insanity from my dad.
3) "Married for 21+ years", you really think you'll be hiking at age 53? (says a young 52.6 year old.;) )

By the way, I generally agree with your post #23, just think it is in the wrong thread. We carried a GPS and satellite phone for 10 days in AK. Friends carried the weight and I didn't let it bother me, but I don't think it added anything to the trip. Although a GPS can be handy sometimes.

I believe that you should not use your cell around other hikers.
Rambler

Mags
12-27-2006, 15:47
1) Due to the technical issues stated above, Danielle's mom is not going to get everything she wants

Which is what many of us (myself included) already said...

>>2) I'm amused that HYOH does not apply to: Keep your own Mom. If my mom was as sane as Paul's I would have just had to inherit my insanity from my dad.<<

Still think it is absurd, as an adult, to have to be located at all times. Never mind the technical feasibility...but, well, *my* Mom would like it, too. Doesn't mean I am going to do it.

I am (by background) an Italian-American Catholic. You want to talk about worry wart Moms! Moms who try to smother ya? :) I once dated a Jewish girl for a while. Our running joke was that if we ever had children, they would get the ULTIMATE guilt trip. :)

Having said that, I'll respect my Mom...but don't plan on moving back to RI, canceling my trips, and doing something more "safe" (as she has asked in the past!).

>>3) "Married for 21+ years", you really think you'll be hiking at age 53? (says a young 52.6 year old.;) )<<

Heh...look at where I live. There are ultrarunners in their 50s..never mind hikers! :) Now, we'll just see if my 32 yo knews hold up for another 20+ years....

When I did the Colorado Trail two years ago, I checked in with my girlfriend at the time every few days. If she demanded that she could locate me at all times? Well..that would be another story.

Sly
12-27-2006, 16:38
Oh no, the great personal beacon/cellphone debate has raised it's ugly head again!

Unless there's a medical necessity and I don't mean phobia, you're mother, wife, son, daughter, husband will get along perfectly well without you, and visa versa, while you're thru-hiking. Call home every 3-7 days from towns like most, if you feel like chatting.

YMMV

Flexo
12-27-2006, 18:58
I thought someone was going to go off on a George Carlin rant about personal safety. :p

The mere idea of heading off into the woods for 6 months is not "safe". Neither is driving to work every day or staring into a monitor 2 feet from my face...

That said, don't feel too out of place having someone concerned about your safety. That's a mom's job.

I have a similar problem. While my girlfriend has come to terms with the fact that I will be gone for most of the year while hiking the trail, she is easily persuaded by what she sees on TV. *ughh* After these climbers disappeared/died on Mt. Hood, she has been asking me to tell her where I will be 24/7 on the trail. I should hike exactly X miles per day so she will know where I am. She wants to buy me a personal locator becon, a satellite phone and a flare gun (ok...I made that one up...). I told her if she wants me to carry all that crap, she can buy me a pack mule too. :rolleyes:

While I don't consider a thru hike of the AT to be a simple feat, I think it might be a little safer than the hiking I have been doing recently in the deserts of Arizona where water is a rarity. I guess one of the keys to the perception of safety is proximity to home.

I don't think that you will ever be safe doing anything. Apply some risk management:

1.) Carry a cell phone for emergencies
2.) Take a basic CPR/EMT class....odds are someone else will need your help before you need help. And it is a good idea to know how to do some basic triage on yourself or a friend.
3.) Take a basic emergency kit. Gauze, tape, neosporin, moleskin, etc. (Don't waste the money on a pre-packaged kit from a store, you can make your own tailor made pack a lot cheaper than thiers.)
4.) Familiarize yourself with the creepy crawlies (ticks, spiders) and know what a bite looks like and what the symptoms are...same goes for digestive issues...
5.) If you don't know how to read a map and use a compass, you should before venturing out.

Hundreds of dollars worth of gear won't help if you have no common sense.

dixicritter
12-27-2006, 22:57
Ok folks... the full set of revised rules can be found here... WhiteBlaze User Rules/Agreement (http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=agreement)

The particular one that partains to this thread is as follows:

Offensive posting is not allowed. That includes personal attacks, hate language and symbols, sexually offensive postings and profane/vulgar language, as well as any other offensive language. If you’re not sure whether something is offensive, err on the side of caution.

Let's stop attacking people's mothers shall we? This member can not help how her mother feels about her going on this hike and y'alls attitude does nothing to change how she feels.

Mags
12-28-2006, 18:27
I don't think we are talking about anyone's mom in particular (Well, I mentioned my mom. :D), but it has evolved into more a generic "meta discussion" at this point. Substitute "mom" for "society" I guess is what it amounts to.

Sorry if any of my posts gave a different "flavor" then more a generic, non-person specific post.

the_iceman
12-31-2006, 16:43
There are GPS tracking cell phones. Nextel has them for business to track drivers, etc. The problem is coverage -- There is not very much.

Tell you Mom "bad news travel fast -- No news is good news" "If anything bads happens you will hear right away" :D

Maybe Pocketmail so you can email her along the way.