PDA

View Full Version : Looking for partner(s) Late April 07 NOBO thru hike

bryon
12-22-2006, 14:51
I'm looking to leave in late April, probably the 30th, but there are work/school logistical issues that have yet to be worked out.

I'm looking for one or two people to start out with and I guess we can reevaluate that as time goes on. I am a very healthy, active runner and triathlete, but I have been away from hiking for a number of years and I'd feel better starting with someone who can keep an eye on me while I brush up on my outdoor skills. If you're interested message me so we can swap emails/IM.

butter123
01-01-2007, 02:47
i am leaving in very early may and would deffenitly like to start with somone
i am not looking for someone for the whole trail as i will probably speed up as time goes by
at the start i look to be doing 15 -20 ant as high as 40 later on

Wohelo
01-23-2007, 15:34
I'm going to start on May 7th (I have to finish final exams for school), and wouldn't mind some company as I get started. I agree it is hard to anticipate hiking long term with anybody, but those first few nights might be good to have some other known entities around. Let me know as your plans take shape. Take care

fonsie
01-23-2007, 15:54
are you starting down at springer in late april early may?

Wohelo
01-25-2007, 18:47
yes, I am starting at springer in early may.

fonsie
01-27-2007, 06:12
Wow to late for me to start in the south. It gets realy hot and muggy thru tenn, Va near the end of may thru june. Have fun

Whistler
01-27-2007, 14:13
A couple years back I started NOBO on May 21. The downside, of course, is the heat. It really wasn't that bad. I didn't break into steady 80 degree weather until mid-June. You also have tons of daylight to use and less gear to carry. I'll be going NOBO again this year, probably heading out in early May. I'll see y'all out there.
-Mark

Wohelo
02-06-2007, 18:01
A couple years back I started NOBO on May 21. The downside, of course, is the heat. It really wasn't that bad. I didn't break into steady 80 degree weather until mid-June. You also have tons of daylight to use and less gear to carry. I'll be going NOBO again this year, probably heading out in early May. I'll see y'all out there.
-Mark

It is good to hear some "been there done that" info on starting in May. How did you handle the heat in mid-June? I have the idea that I would try to wake up early and take a long lunch/rest period at the hottest part of the day. I had talked with some thru's that started in May, and they were big advocates of night hiking. I'm not so sure about that though...

Anyway, thanks for chiming in. hope to see you out on the trail!

trlhiker
02-06-2007, 20:15
Isn't a May start kinda late to make it to Katahdin before it closes for the season?

rafe
02-06-2007, 20:24
Isn't a May start kinda late to make it to Katahdin before it closes for the season?

A bit late but hardly impossible. If you start May 1 you've still got 5 months till October 1. Flip/flop (or just get Katahdin out of the way) if time starts to run out.

Whistler
02-07-2007, 02:02
It is good to hear some "been there done that" info on starting in May. How did you handle the heat in mid-June? I have the idea that I would try to wake up early and take a long lunch/rest period at the hottest part of the day. I had talked with some thru's that started in May, and they were big advocates of night hiking. I'm not so sure about that though...

Anyway, thanks for chiming in. hope to see you out on the trail!

I don't have any big secrets for handling the heat. Stay hydrated, stay fed, get some salts, moderate your exertion, yada yada yada. :) I never tried the night hiking thing, mostly because I always woke up early and didn't feel like I needed to. I was almost always the first one out in the morning, usually starting my day around 630-730am, and spread my hiking out across the day so that I finished up around 5-6pm or so.

-Mark

butter123
02-07-2007, 02:10
we should try to meet up in springer
when you know your plans poast em and we can work things out