PDA

View Full Version : The One True Way of Making Oats/Proddige on Trail??

MadAussieInLondon
06-13-2003, 05:45
just wondering everyones method for poridge / oats on trail..

whats your methodology?

boil water, add oats, cook..
eat
attempt to clean scummy porridge burnt pot..

do you make thick oats? runny watery oats?
do you add sugar? milk? skim milk powder?

sugar is heavy :( and i like sugar on my oats..

just wondering what everyone elses "One True Way" is??

2Ply
06-13-2003, 07:43
Being from down in Dixie I prefer grits. Same problem with sticking like glue. Last year I switched to using stand up freezer bags. Just put your ingredients in the bag, add boiling water, mix well, let stand a little to thicken up, open bag and enjoy. Works great for all heat and eat type foods. Nothing to clean but the spoon and the bag can be recycled.:D

asmtroop3
06-13-2003, 07:43
Peas poridge hot
Peas poridge cold
Peas poridge in the pot
Nine days old
I put a little hot water in the Store brand envelope and eat the oatmeal W/O any condiments:o :-? :-? :rolleyes: :mad: :p :D

Just a little rhyme my Mom used to say
don't even know from where it comes.

smokymtnsteve
06-13-2003, 09:38

jlb2012
06-13-2003, 11:08
Of course there is also the fast / no cook method - Take spoon full of dry oats, put into mouth, take big swig of water, slosh the water around in mouth and swallow.

jojo0425
06-17-2003, 12:42
Hmmm HOI,

I prefer cooked oats myself. I buy instant oats, boil my water, pour part of hot water into oats, let stand and absorb water and use the rest of the hot water for cocoa (see recipie).

I sprinkle honey and powered soy on mine and sometimes add dried apricots or raisins, YUM YUM.

I bought a pot coozie that keeps contents warm after removing from heat for quite awhile. (http://www.antigravitygear.com/products/cozys.html)

This helps keep food warm longer so hopefully the oats don't set before you finish eating them. Rinse pot with hot water (boil enough for oats, cocoa and cleaning) a Wally World grease pot holds enough water for this venture (for one person).

Smiley G :D

Coosa
07-28-2003, 10:24
:cool:

Did you know that you can use the old fashioned oats and make a quick meal with them by placing the dry oats in your blender and blending them until they resemble flour?

A few Tablespoons will equal a half-cup of regular oatmeal, just add hot water, mix and eat.

I prefer GrapeNuts for my breakfast cereal with powdered soy milk already added. Add either Hot or Cold Water, mix and eat.

No sugar needed. I like to eat Apricots or Dates at breakfast, too, but don't put them in my cereal.

Coosa
:cool:

meBrad
07-28-2003, 10:36
I have come to understand that my participation in this forum is counter productive. In an attempt to ammend this I am deleting my posts and have requested to have my account deleted

Coosa
07-28-2003, 10:42
http://www.thru-hiker.com/articles.asp?subcat=1&cid=39

Check out this site for information about food for the Trail.

Coosa