PDA

View Full Version : Which fleece should I bring?

Grandma Dixie
12-23-2006, 01:30
I have 2 fleece jackets that I'm deciding over for my thru hike next year (so soon!). One is the Montain Hardwear Windstopepr tech jacket. Now, I love this jacket to death, I wear it everywhere almost and I find it muc more versatile than my more expensive softshell. But on cold nights this jacket wouldn't be as warm as choice #2, the chill factor jacket. (Also by Mtn Hardwear) This is a 200 weight fleece, but doesnt have the windstopper membrane. I figure on a cold + windy day I can put on my shell to block the wind over my fleece, and if need be I would wear the fleece in my bag on those cold march niights. I'd appreciate anybody's 2 cents, I know this seems really trivial, but it's still a tough decision. (I'm a gearhead, what can I say? Minute factors are important)

Oh and by the way, here are the weights of the 2, that is also a consideration.

Windstopper Tech Jacket- 1 lb 5 oz (21 oz)
Chill Factor- 1 lb 6 oz (22 oz)
As you can see, they weigh almost the same.

little bear
12-23-2006, 01:40
I would go with the Chill factor and if there is a high wind I would put on my rain jacket as the shell. (you are taking a rain jacket right) that is the same set up I use and have been very happpy with it.

Little Bear

rafe
12-23-2006, 01:43
I'd appreciate anybody's 2 cents

OK, this is worth at least half that. There's no single item of clothing I carry that weighs more than 11 oz. I don't carry any fleece, except for my hat and gloves. I do carry enough for up to 3 layers on top, and 2 on bottom. Pretty low-tech stuff, but it works.

ScottP
12-23-2006, 05:07
get a W. Mountaineering Flight down vest.

highway
12-23-2006, 08:21
Fleece is warm but heavy. get the lightest you can find. A possible suggestion:
http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/product/collection.jsp?OPTION=COLLECTIONS_DISPLAY_HANDLER&catcode=MAIN.CLOTHING_GEAR.MENS.PULLOVERS#sku.2622 2

i seldom take it hiking anymore but I used too because it is very warm and very light. Mine is an older version called the Rincon Hoody, designed mostly for 'apres-surfing' but I started using it in colder weather just because it is so light. Mine in XL weighs 0.66 Lb. or about 10 1/2 0unces and thats with hood, too. It also helps in cold weather in a hammock since it doesnt compress much and with the hood traps more of body warmth than just a hat, which leaves the narrow neck exposed. That heat loss from your head is from blood going through your narrow neck to get there-hence the effectiveness of a hood on a garment. Why are so few hooded garments sold for warmth, I wonder? Anyway layer is the key, usually the thinner the better:D

Appalachian Tater
12-23-2006, 11:33
Fleece is bulky, too. Go with some sort of lightweight down jacket or vest.

hammock engineer
12-23-2006, 11:38
I recently switched from carrying a 100 wt fleece and my mountain hardwear soft shell to the MEC northern lite Jacket. It is made of primaloft synethic insulation. I think it is warmer than the 2 put together. I can add my raincoat overtop if needed. The best part of it is that changing to that jacket dopped about 12 oz from my pack.

Do some searches on synthic jackets. I think you will like what you see.

Here is a thread I started a while ago where people listed some jacket recommendations.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18227

Ewker
12-23-2006, 11:59
there are a few Patagonia Micro Puff up for bid on ebay right now

Grandma Dixie
12-23-2006, 14:01
I have a hunch that santa claus is going to bring me a micro puff vest this year, so I'm going to hold off on buying anything. (finances are tight too, I'd like to avoid buying any new gear if at all possible)

Grandma Dixie
12-23-2006, 14:53
Also, I forgot to mention that the windstopper jacket's pockets are placed so they work with a backpacks hipbelt, the Chill Factor is not like this.

sleeveless
12-23-2006, 15:30
Forget the fleece. It is way to bulky and heavy. I used a Bozeman Mt. Works Cocoon jacket. I think it is 8.5 oz. It is toasty warm actually too warm to hike in under most conditions. It compresses into the size of a softball. I wore mine when I stopped hiking and it was cool. I slept in it in cold weather and used it for a pillow in hot weather. I love it and will never carry a fleece again. go to this website for a good discussion on the micro puff jackets.http://outside.away.com/outside/gear/gearguy/200508/20050809.htmlhttp://outside.away.com/outside/gear/gearguy/200508/20050809.htmlhttp://outside.away.com/outside/gear/gearguy/200508/20050809.html (http://outside.away.com/outside/gear/gearguy/200508/20050809.htmlhttp://outside.away.com/outside/gear/gearguy/200508/20050809.html)

Desert Lobster
12-23-2006, 16:03
Just bring the whole sheep to keep you warm on cool evenings and so you can be a bahhhd boy!

Moxie00
12-23-2006, 17:37
I brought a $10 fleese pullover and it served me well. Started out with a goretex jacket but sent it home and used froggs toggs for an outer shell.
That combination served me well in snow, rain and wind. I saw weather from 10 degrees in the Georgia mountains to 110 in Virginia and thats all the cold/foul weather gear I needed to stay comfortable.

Appalachian Tater
12-23-2006, 17:40
Moxie, you must have had a good $10 fleece. Mine was heavy, bulky, and not so warm. Someone did show me their $100 + fleece and said it was warm. It was still bulky and heavy.

Mags
12-23-2006, 18:52
Fleece for general outdoor use is starting to become like a wool sweater or wool coat: Warm: but bulky and heavy. Worn more for fashion and non-aerobic activities. I have a heavy fleeece jacket I wear around town and for car camping. Come to think of it, wear wool sweaters (and a wool coat) around town as well. My wool sweaters and coat will outlive me..but would never take one for hiking, running, skiing, etc. My fleece is now in that category, too.

For any aeorbic activity (and hiking qualifies for sure), go with something that fits your hiking style. If you walk all day and do not do much sitting around in camp, I'm a big fan of a lined windshirt (DriClime by Marmot being the most well known, but I am more partial to the Montbell one now).

If you are looking for something a bit warmer and plan on being around camp a bit, many Primaloft type jackets are now available. Synthetic filled so it fits a variety of conditions, light and very compressible.

Several companies make them now (Montbell, Patagonia, Mountain Hardware, Marmot and other "higher range" type outdoor companies).

My own personal prediction is that once the "mid-range" companies (i.e. Columbia, EMS, Campmor and REI house brands, Red Ledge) start making these type of jackets, fleece will be rarely seen in the backcountry.

Good luck!

Hangman
12-23-2006, 19:42
Rei has a great 200 woodland fleese jacket on sale for 19.99 odd colors, they only weigh 12.5 oz. great fleese for the money.

bigcranky
12-23-2006, 21:43
I have a nice windbloc fleece jacket, and I too wear it all the time around town during the winter. Love it. But it's lousy for hiking -- it's too hot to wear while actually hiking, and not even close to warm enough when I stop. It's also not compressible at all, so it takes up a ton of room in my pack.

I'd take the 200-weight fleece, which is more insulative, and wear my windshirt over it. That'll be warmer and more versatile than the windbloc, b/c you can wear just the windshirt or just the fleece as needed.

That said, YMMV -- my wife, Dragonfly, who is *always* cold, wears her fancy Marmot windbloc softshell all the time on hikes from September to May -- she just varies the layer underneath according to conditions. She does the ultralight windshirt/lightweight fleece combo in the summer. (I said she was always cold...) For her, the windbloc takes the place of my windshirt.

TurkeyBacon
12-24-2006, 12:15
If they weight the same, take the warmer, probably the 200 wt. I started with a windbloc and got rid of it in VA for a lighterweight 100 wt fleece that stayed with me the rest of the trail. Windblock is great for day hikes, but you are not day hiking.
TB

Moxie00
12-24-2006, 20:23
Moxie, you must have had a good $10 fleece. Mine was heavy, bulky, and not so warm. Someone did show me their $100 + fleece and said it was warm. It was still bulky and heavy.
My son works for a mountain hardware dealer so I have several of their fleece tops I bought at cost. I also have a couple of high end fleece jackets issued to me as a member of The National Ski Patrol. All told I own about 10 fleece jackets and pullovers. Some are heavy, some light,, some windproof but for my thru I chose a pullover made by Fruit of The Loom because it was medium weight and in a stuff sack would double as my pillow. It was winter when I hit Maine that year so I had my wife send a light fleese vest sold by EMS for the last 120 miles. I had a long sleeve shirt by Mountain Hardware I wore under the fleece and froggs toggs when the weather got bad. I dayhike all winter in Maine and I find as long as I am moving a medium fleece and a windbreaker are all I need to stay comfortable. I pack a compressable down jacket in my day pack in case of an emergency.