PDA

View Full Version : What should I donate?

STEVEM
12-23-2006, 09:22
I have found Whiteblaze to be very informative and entertaining. I also see that many people here are donating members. In looking around, I understand the benefits of being a donating member yet cannot find anything to suggest what an appropriate donation would be.

I think many others may have this question also, and perhaps more would donate if we know:

1. The normal minimum donation is $______
or:
2. Most members contribute between $_____ and $_____
or:
3. The average donation is $_____

Thanks

Sly
12-23-2006, 09:37
I don't know for sure but I think...

1. $10

2. $10 - $20

3. $15

rafe
12-23-2006, 09:41
Do you need a bible to do the right thing? It's totally voluntary. Give what it's worth to you, or what you can. Sheesh.

Lugnut
12-23-2006, 09:41
I don't think the amount donated is as important as the fact that you contribute something. Some of us contribute money while others contribute knowlege. It's all good and is what makes this the best hiking site by far.

Lone Wolf
12-23-2006, 09:44
I have found Whiteblaze to be very informative and entertaining. I also see that many people here are donating members. In looking around, I understand the benefits of being a donating member yet cannot find anything to suggest what an appropriate donation would be.

I think many others may have this question also, and perhaps more would donate if we know:

1. The normal minimum donation is $______
or:
2. Most members contribute between $_____ and $_____
or:
3. The average donation is $_____

Thanks
Go to the home page. On the top/right is a donation box.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-23-2006, 09:45
As far as $$$, most contribute $10 to $20. As Lugnut notes, contributing your experience, strength and hope is also important. I'll add a third sort of contribution - support for the admins. It is a tough and often thankless job - a kind word once in while is all that makes it bearable some days ::: hugs Dixie :::.

STEVEM
12-23-2006, 10:31
Do you need a bible to do the right thing? It's totally voluntary. Give what it's worth to you, or what you can. Sheesh.

My point is that we all support various organizations. I support NYNJTC, Audubon, Catskill 3500, NPR, etc. Each of those organizations tell me what they expect as a basic membership contribution. I understand that I am free to give whatever I want, but feel it would be useful to me and others to know what is expected. I'm more concerned with giving too little than too much.

rafe
12-23-2006, 10:46
My apologies, SteveM for being so brash. I personally find "suggested contribution" amounts to be silly. Seems it ought to be a matter of conscience, and it seems to me that what others give isn't the least bit relevant. How can you give "too little" when the donation is voluntary?

Two Speed
12-23-2006, 10:58
In my case it was $25. However, this was due to the fact that I shot my mouth off at DWM on the MS thread and had to use a mutual pledge to WB to back my way out of the little imbroglio I'd talked myself into. :datz

That and the fact that I've been a member for a couple of years now, the site admin's bust their keisters for us, put up with a boat load of goop off of us and rarely complain about it.

emerald
12-23-2006, 11:07
I'll add a third sort of contribution - support for the admins. It is a tough and often thankless job - a kind word once in while is all that makes it bearable some days ::: hugs Dixie :::.

Your observation is a good one. We should offer our support to those who steer WhiteBlaze and each of us needs to take responsibility for keeping it headed in the proper direction.

Bite me on the toes Dino, hard if am deserving, but I hope I'll never give you cause to do so.

veteran
12-23-2006, 11:07
To donate, got this LINK (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/payments.php).

Sly
12-23-2006, 11:13
To donate, got this LINK (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/payments.php).

Thanks for that. I wasn't sure of the link or my dues due date ...

emerald
12-23-2006, 11:29
If I recall correctly, the annual donation is not automatically renewed. On the anniversary date, the donate button displays on the home page to indicate the time has come to donate again in order to retain the priviledges provided to donating members.

Amigi'sLastStand
12-24-2006, 18:32
I dunno. I gave $20 because that's what I could afford right now. If I had my choice, I'd buy Rock a plane ticket home, Rick a new server, and Dixie --- well Rock's plane ticket would be for her too.
Merry Christmas all. And thank you.