PDA

View Full Version : Podcast At Thru

Pacific Tortuga
12-23-2006, 15:08
'Mugwump' on trailjournals is going to podcast his AT thru starting in Feb. 07. If his "trail name" def. is any indicater of his journal, the pod's should be interesting and cerebral at least.

I know this has been done on other trails but will this be the first podcasted thru-hike attempt ? A side note : I miss Trailcast and red cake, any news on him or his podcast's ?

Miss Janet
12-23-2006, 17:58
This sounds interesting. But I bet it will be a little more complicated than it sounds. I think Red Cake had some pretty expensive equipment that I am sure was not something he wanted to hike with.

I have called and left messages for Red Cake but he hasn't been in touch for a long time. If he calls I will be sure to let you know.

Johnny Swank
12-23-2006, 18:16
I'm going to let the cat out of the bag on how to do this, Free.

Go to Gcast.com and set up an account. Then you can call in by 1-800 number and basically leave a message that shows up as a podcast, mp3, or whatever on their website.

Grab that website feed and put it into an Iframe on your own website.

Go back later and do the proper podcasting bit, put in comments, etc.

Go to my Cape Fear audio journal page (http://sourcetosea.net/CapeFear/audio/audio.html) for an example.

Miss Janet
12-24-2006, 14:23
This is so neat... I think I will do a Miss Janet's House Gcast!

Thank you for the info.

Johnny Swank
12-24-2006, 15:05
I need to go back and grab the mp3's from that Cape Fear trip and do a proper podcast page, but that's going to have to wait till things calm down here a little. I tell you, it was MUCH easier to do this then track down a computer and type out the obligatory "I'm not Dead" email to the family and friends. I'm totally sold on using that service for a thru-hike, even if they start charging a little for it.

Mags
12-24-2006, 15:36
I'm totally sold on using that service for a thru-hike, even if they start charging a little for it.

Hmm..think it comes down to personal preference, but prefer the written word to the spoken word for journaling. But that is just me. I find that writing is much easier for me than to speak on the fly for my journal entries. Plus, I enjoy writing.

As I said, though, just comes down to personal preference. Can definitely see the ease of calling a 1-800 # and doing a pod cast!

Johnny Swank
12-24-2006, 15:49
Oh I agree, and I transcribe ( or intend to at least ) those podcasts as part of my journal as well.

When I paddled the Mississippi, I did almost all my "journaling" on a microcassette recorder. That served as the basis of my book once I got around to transcribing (most of) those recordings. I just don't feel up to writing everyday, so it's better than nothing.

I would love to be one of those people that can hike all day, then spend an hour writing down everything. Most of my written journals end up being some thing along the lines of "I'm tired. This Ramen is good. God bless Ramen Noodles!"

Now if I could find a reasonably priced transcription service I'd be set.

Sly
12-24-2006, 15:51
As I said, though, just comes down to personal preference. Can definitely see the ease of calling a 1-800 # and doing a pod cast!

I was wondering when you'd be around... How about doing one for the Great Boulder Blizzard of 2006!

Mags
12-24-2006, 16:08
I was wondering when you'd be around... How about doing one for the Great Boulder Blizzard of 2006!

You missed my "trip report" I posted earlier on the "Let it snow" thread. :)

But, you can read all about it at:
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=51

Long story short: I did a 1.5 hr ski tour into where I am working for a bit.

Sly
12-24-2006, 18:00
You missed my "trip report" I posted earlier on the "Let it snow" thread. :)

But, you can read all about it at:
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=51

Long story short: I did a 1.5 hr ski tour into where I am working for a bit.

Cool, good to hear you survived the storm. Too bad they plow the bike paths and not leave them for skiers.