PDA

View Full Version : couple of straight forwards

ramblinman
12-23-2006, 20:03
Im camping and hiking in the H.S. area Feb 9-16. Keep in mind I haven't seen snow or sleet in 18 years, its currently just at 80 degrees where in J-ville right know. SO...

- will I be be able to where my trail runners comfortably with thick socks, or should I invest in some sort of waterproof shoes/boots?
- Will I need Gaitors?
- Will I need waterproof/resistent pants?

I have plenty of insulation but should I be very concerned about waterproofing this time of year?

Ramble~On
12-23-2006, 21:38
There's a lot of variables and each individual is different.

I'd wear waterproof boots. Your Trail Runners could work out fine but then again the old "what if" thing applies. What if they get wet and it's colder than you expected. In Feb. the weather could do just about anything.

Me, I'd wear a pair of boots
I wouldn't bother with gaitors
I would have rain pants.

my 2 cents.

bigcranky
12-23-2006, 22:13
I have plenty of insulation but should I be very concerned about waterproofing this time of year?

Short answer, Yes. It could be very cold up in the mountains of North Carolina in February. Not White Mountains cold, or Wind River cold, but way a heck of a lot colder than Jacksonville, FLA. It's as likely to snow or rain (freezing rain) as not.

That said, I wear trail runners in the winter, but they are Goretex models rather than the mesh runners I wear in warmer weather. I do like tall w/b gaiters if there is snow on the ground -- keeps it out of my shoes. I would *definitely* bring some sort of waterproof rain pants in February. These are multiuse items, since they will keep you warmer in camp, too. I usually bring long johns and rain pants as my only long pants in the winter, and wear shorts to hike. (But you might like long pants to hike in if you are used to 80-F and alligators on the trail in February.)

ramblinman
12-23-2006, 22:23
Thanks guys. Im trying to get away w/ there bare minimum, so I must apologize if I ask kinda over the top ,"duuuuh" questions..

fiddlehead
12-23-2006, 22:29
The most important thing is a good sleeping bag. You can always set up your tent and crawl in it. I would take wind/water resistant pants (frogg toggs) I would take extra (fleece) socks) and keep them dry, only for sleeping. I would use trail runners. I would know how to build a fire, even in the rain. have fun. It's often beautiful out that time of year. (what is HS?) (high sierra?)

ramblinman
12-23-2006, 22:51
The most important thing is a good sleeping bag. You can always set up your tent and crawl in it. I would take wind/water resistant pants (frogg toggs) I would take extra (fleece) socks) and keep them dry, only for sleeping. I would use trail runners. I would know how to build a fire, even in the rain. have fun. It's often beautiful out that time of year. (what is HS?) (high sierra?)
Cool got most of that covered. Just picked up a pair of marmot PreCip pants. Got plenty of SmartWool socks. Cant decide on a good(decent priced) sleeping bag though, my summer one just wont do.

Spirit Walker
12-23-2006, 23:01
HS is probably Hot Springs - NC, I assume.

ramblinman
12-23-2006, 23:14
yes Im sorry, Hot Springs, I like to abbreviate.

rafe
12-23-2006, 23:48
I like to abbreviate.

Watch out for the blue blazes, then ;).