PDA

View Full Version : cam lock belt buckles

Greg Yost
12-23-2006, 20:56
Back in the 80s I had a Kelty Super Tioga external frame pack that I carried on the AT. I always liked the belt buckle design on it, and later when I bought a new pack I moved the camming buckle from the Kelty over to the new one. Unfortunately, I lost the thing a few years ago in Washington DC when I was walking in a crowd without the buckle hooked up. I guess it fell off and I didn't notice it at the time.

My question is if would anyone know if these buckles (or something similar) are still made anymore? I approached a young man recently in a backpacking store and he didn't know the kind of buckle I was talking about. For the record, it was a metal/plastic buckle with a spring loaded cam that Kelty used to put on their packs.

The obvious followup question is: any of you have one of these things in a closet somewhere that you would like to sell? After many years away from backpacking, I'm getting ready to hike the Benton MacKaye Trail this summer with my 10 year old son. I really don't like the buckles that are standard on packs these days, and it would be great if I could replace my old one before I go.

Tipi Walter
12-23-2006, 21:36
There are alot of old Keltys out there, I see many on the trails I walk, so keep looking. What part of the BMT are you planning to backpack?

One other question: What is it you don't like about the standard fastex style hipbelt buckles?

Skidsteer
12-23-2006, 22:07
Is this what you're looking for?(Bottom of photo)

http://www.mikespinak.com/images/buckle.jpg

I'm not sure Kelty makes them anymore. Complete Walker IV lists American Wilderness as a supplier but I tried the phone number and got the voice mail to a law firm :cool: .

You might try e-mailing http://www.mikespinak.com/contact.html to see if he has a source.

Good Luck!

LostInSpace
12-23-2006, 22:37
Is this what you're looking for?(Bottom of photo)

http://www.mikespinak.com/images/buckle.jpg

That's it! http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17229

A similar one might be available from a manufacturer of sailboard harnesses or SCUBA weight belts. The belt width of the Kelty version is two inches.

Vi+
12-23-2006, 22:44
Neat buckle.

If anyone turns up a source for these, please start a thread, something like "Cam Buckles Found."

I preferred Trailwise to Kelty, so I missed the buckle.

Greg Yost
12-24-2006, 00:20
There are alot of old Keltys out there, I see many on the trails I walk, so keep looking. What part of the BMT are you planning to backpack?

One other question: What is it you don't like about the standard fastex style hipbelt buckles?
We hoping to do the entire thing. Will (my son) has a knee that gives him trouble sometimes, so we'll see how it goes. The only trip we've taken together so far is an overnighter to Mount Rogers. We'll try a few tune up hikes this spring and hopefully it will all come together. I really like the things that I've read about the BMT.

As for your other question, I guess that I didn't really mean to disparage the fastex buckles. They're kind of clever in their own way, too. The Kelty buckle, however, seems easier to cinch tight and to release quickly. In the grand scheme of things it's no big deal, I suppose, but on that Mount Rogers trip (my first in more than a decade) I spent a ridiculous amount of time irritated with my new fastex buckle. "Tis better to have loved (a Kelty buckle) and lost than never to have loved at all." Well, if I can't have another one, I'm not so sure.

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. I have looked at the SCUBA belts, but the ones I've seen so far wouldn't work. Their design is too beefy with too much emphasis on staying put. On the other end of things, I did purchase a $3 plastic cam buckle, but it's a little too lightweight with no spring or metal clip.

Maybe my trail name should be Goldilocks: This buckle's too big! This buckle's too small! Meanwhile, I keep searching the Goodwills and yard sales for the one that's just right.