PDA

View Full Version : Woods Hole Hostel In The News

Skyline
12-24-2006, 11:05
Just came across this which includes news about the preservation of Woods Hole Hostel in Virginia, and the pending retirement of Tillie Woods, one of the nicest people I ever met associated with the AT:

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/96626

Pretty progressive stuff, for Virginia. It really does matter who lives in the Governor's Mansion.

Sly
12-24-2006, 11:21
What's the easement mean exactly. It appears thhe Wood's Hole property will remain in family hands and the hostel run by Tillie's grand daughter.

100 acres and cabin for $300 sheesh!

Skyline
12-24-2006, 11:37
What's the easement mean exactly. It appears thhe Wood's Hole property will remain in family hands and the hostel run by Tillie's grand daughter.

100 acres and cabin for $300 sheesh!

As I understand easements in Virginia--and I hope a legal eagle in the Commonwealth will correct me if I'm wrong--this means that the three tracts of land will not be developed in the future. Those properties or parts of properties that were in private hands remain that way--and whenever they may be sold in the future the purchasers must also abide by the then pre-existing easement agreements.

We have had similar easements made by conservation-minded folks who own land bordering Shenandoah National Park in recent years. It reduces the resale value of their properties considerably. It is literally an example of unselfishly putting one's money where his mouth (or heart) is.

In the examples I linked to in the Roanoke Times piece, this came about because the Democratic Governor, Tim Kaine, was proactive about putting these easement deals together. It is unlikely they would have occurred on their own, and I can't imagine former Governors George "Macaca" Allen or Jim "kill the car tax, bankrupt the state" Gilmore (or the guy Kaine beat, Kilgore) caring about this issue enough to lift their little fingers to make it happen.

In the not-too-distant past rural, mountainside land with a (then) decaying cabin on it could be had for a song. Not anymore, as developers eye such land for playgrounds for the wealthy. That is why these easements are so important.

Many of us have known for a long time what a great lady Tillie is, and this latest charitable act will bond her, the mountains, and those who love them for future generations. It's good to learn that the hostel will continue on under the operation of her granddaughter but it could never be the same without Tillie.

RAT
12-26-2006, 19:38
Tillie Woods is one of the sweetest most caring individuals I have ever met. She drove down to DamAssKiss to attend my wedding there during trail daze `93. Her home in Ga. is near where my dads family live. I am happy to hear the property is being preserved and that someone is there to carry on the hostel.

RAT

Moxie00
12-27-2006, 22:40
Tilly is simply a great lady and treats hikers like family. Her family purchased the place so her husband could study the last elk herd in the Virginia and they were killed off by hunters after the Woods lived there. Tilly tells me that with road construction that has taken place the last 40 years make it almost impossible for the elk to ever survive in the area again. Tilly's husband has the honor of twice being fired by Jamse Watts when he was the worst Secretary of Interior the US has ever had. The first firing was when Tilly's husband was working in the west for a State and the second firing came when Watts becane Secretary of the Interior and didn't want any enviromentalist standing in the way of clearcutting and turning the national forests into neat profit centers. Tilly actually must have lost money at the rates she charged at her hostel. Soda and candy were at cost, breakfast which was a full breakfast with sausage and eggs was three bucks and as I recall she charged nothing to stay in her bunkhouse. She even let me call home on her phone at no charge. There will never be another Tilly Woods and the trail will never be the same without her.

Sly
12-28-2006, 02:41
Yeah, Tilly was/is great. I fixed her oven and got a free breakfast! :)

RAT
12-28-2006, 03:17
She also told me that when they moved there and her husband started helping hikers that she thought he was crazy and wanted no part of it, but obviously the hikers grew on her and she became one of the best trail angels ever :)

RAT

mrc237
12-28-2006, 08:04
Anyone remember ''Highpockets" sort of a Caretaker for Tillie. He also was Caretaker for the Apple Valley Inn in NJ when John and ? went on vacation. I'll never forget Tillie and her kindness. Happy Retiremant!!!! :)

Fannypack
12-28-2006, 08:35
Anyone remember ''Highpockets" sort of a Caretaker for Tillie. :)

Highpockets was there in 1996 when Tex, H and I came thru. He slacked us into town using his old classic car, what was it (can't remmeber what kinda car it was)?

Met Tillie in Damascus at a Trail Days, nice lady...

mrc237
12-28-2006, 09:00
Ford Falcon? In 96' also not there in 00'

Desert Lobster
12-28-2006, 12:13
I stopped there in 94. It was ok.