PDA

View Full Version : Zatarain"s Rice Dish

partinj
12-24-2006, 13:00
Hi just found this new rice comb in Food Loin. New Orleans Style
Red Beans & Ricewith Sausage.
Ready to serve Complete Meal cook in the skillet or pot in two to three minutes.Try it out really is good weight 6.5 oz:-?

SGT Rock
12-24-2006, 14:18
Haven't tried the ready to eat, but I have been a long time fan of the red beans and rice with some summer sausage added in.

Spirit Walker
12-24-2006, 14:21
We ate that a couple of times on the trail. It was tasty, but not all that filling. I don't remember the calories, but evidently not quite enough. It would be good for weekend trips though, when you don't have hiker hunger yet.

Old Hillwalker
12-24-2006, 17:15
On the desk before me I have a "Z's" Black Beans and Rice, and Red Beans and Rice. Each box lists 4 servings (about), and 190 Cal for RB &R, 230 Cal for BB & R. At 930 Cals (not including things you add). My choice is BB &R. I have eaten it on the trail, and agree, that it's not quite enough. Pretty easy to Freezer Bag cook though. The box instruction say to simmer for 25 minutes. Hah. I want a source for the old LRRP rats:o

Toolshed
12-24-2006, 18:14
The nice thing about those precooked bags are the convenience. The bad thing is the taste, preservatives and sodium. (Of course all things you can't get enough of on the trail).
I found they weren't filling either - for quick dinners while my wife was away I ate 2 for each dinner I tried Jambalaya and RB&R (or was it dirty rice).

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-24-2006, 18:30
One of the 4 serving boxes of Z's dry red beans and rice mix will feed one hungry dino if you add some olive oil and about 4 ozs of summer sausage. The single serve ready to eat variety would be easy to fix, but it would take four (at 26 ozs) to fill me up after a day of hiking. YMMV

drdewrag
12-24-2006, 18:52
I've eaten those before. They are good and tasty. It's nice to have something spicy at the end of the day. We just bought some more for our trip this week. Tuesday - Thursday (Newfound to Davenport).