PDA

View Full Version : some odd random questions on perparation!! :)

MadAussieInLondon
06-14-2003, 05:47
i was thinking of flying into atlanta and making my way from atlanta airport.
but i have a few q's..

you cant fly with fuel and i wont be packing food from london :)

does anyone know where the closest supply to the start if the trail is? i'd need to stock on metholated spirits and food?

somehow i dont think i'll be able to walk out the front door of atlanta airport and find a great big supermarket..??

the other thoughts i had was i might fly in at the other end and get a train down to atlanta. i want to be able to get a safe deposit box or something (safe airport locker?) to store my passports in, this way i can pick them back up at the end of my hike! I really dont want to hike carrying important documents like my passports and stuff (and civilian clothes to fly home in, etc)

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

what i need is me mum to move house to america and get her to mind all me stuff!! :) hahaha

Hikerhead
06-14-2003, 06:58
If I'm not mistaken, you must carry your passposrt on you while your in our country.

Mail your civilian clothes home from the first PO you come to in Georgia, and have them mailed back to Maine when you arrive there. Or just stop somewhere in Maine on the way to the airport and by some new duds. The last one is better, you get to take something home from the good ol' USA.

Have a great hike.

smokymtnsteve
06-14-2003, 09:35

MadAussieInLondon
06-14-2003, 13:52
not until 04 :) but i'm trying to work out my long distance logistics. (i live currently in england, my folks in australia. makes things fun at best!!)

Peaks
06-14-2003, 20:35
If you have the shuttle list from ATC or have the Companion or have Wingfoot, I believe that each has a list of people who will shuttle you to Springer along with a stop for supplies.

Dirtyoldman
06-14-2003, 22:35
The airport locker idea is a bust... security pretty much ended such conviences...

Rambler
06-19-2003, 08:30
Flying with Fuel (http://thru-hiker.com/articles.asp?subcat=2&cid=50)