PDA

View Full Version : Not giving up Yet!

tomman
12-24-2006, 20:11
I just returned from a 4 days school provided by Warren Doyle for hiking the AT. We hiked parts of the AT in NC, TN and VA with day packs. I had a very hard time doing the inclined because of my COPD. He told me that because of the problems I was having it would take me at lest 8 months to hike the trail.

This made me very discouraged and depressed. I had been hiking some trails around here in TX that were just as rough and many cases steeper that the ones we hiked there. I could not understand what was happening. I did not believe that it was because of the altitude. Something else was wrong.

On the third day I starting running a fever so I knew I was sick. I felt this was the problem. So I felt I could do much better and hope by the time I get to the AT in March I will be alright to hike the trail. I have now taken the things that Doyle said as a challenge. I am more determine now to do the AT.

While we were in Damascus,VA I had the chance to talk to Jeff at the Mt. Roger Outfitters. He gave me some very good information that was very different than what Doyle said and I feel better.

When I got home my doctor found I had developed acute bronchitis and maybe a touch of pneumonia. I now feel that is what was the cause of the problems. I am now on medications and hope to be better soon. I will then have to work even harder to get back into shape. I may still not be able to make it but it will not be with out giving it a very hard try.

The moral here is do not let someone else determine what you can do or not do. Let your own body determine what it can do. Others can see what is on the outside but can not see what is on the inside. Do not give up because someone tells you that you will never make be able to hike the AT. Only you can make that decision.

Tomman

stumpknocker
12-24-2006, 20:34
Tomman, nothing wrong with walking for 8 months. You can always flip up to Katahdin if you see you're not going to make it in time and walk south.:)

When you get out on the Trail, things will not go as planned. Just have fun with whatever happens. You'll be living your dreams and that's a very good thing. :)

Being determined is probably the most important part of a long walk, the rest will happen naturally.

Marta
12-24-2006, 20:47
I have consistantly tried to have a good day every day of my hike rather than let some sort of overall time limit set the daily pace. IMO, eight months of good days is better than six months of hard days.

Have a good hike!

generoll
12-24-2006, 20:57
lots of good advice here. Hike Your Own Hike means exactly that. If you have the time and resources, who cares how long it takes or how many miles you put in each day.

Spirit Walker
12-24-2006, 21:49
You may be right and the current slowness is temporary. If not, if you are slower than you hoped - so what?

Warren didn't say you wouldn't make it, just that it might take you longer than you originally planned. Big deal. If you're starting in March, you'll have plenty of time to get to Katahdin.

Several years ago Backpacker had a TV series on the outdoors. Two episodes were on hiking the AT. There was a woman, Maine Rose, who kept trying to increase her daily mileage past 12 mpd. She was short and round and could not do bigger miles. When other hikers passed her, hiking 20 mile days, she would get very discouraged. Yet she still finished.

Bottom line - hike your own pace, whatever that may be. Don't let yourself get competitive with other hikers. If your COPD kicks in, just take it slow and easy. One step at a time, one day at a time. That's what gets you to Katahdin.

LEGS
12-24-2006, 23:31
All good advice from the postings above. And just remember, IT'S THE SMILES NOT THE MILES !!!! YOU'LL MAKE IT, HAPPY HIKIN AND MERRY CHRISTMAS!

eric_plano
12-24-2006, 23:43
Hiyas Tom,

Sorry to hear you were sick for the NC trip. Let me know when you get better so we can set up the Arkansas shakedown hike. My brother wants to join us and go in January sometime. Gimme a call :)

And merry Christmas!

Doctari
12-24-2006, 23:50
8 months, 8 years.

The trail will still be there.

I started in 1997, so far have made it about 370 miles. I hike one step at a time, one trip at a time. Come March 15th, 2007, I'll have been "on the AT" in sections for 10 years.

Get out there, go as far as you can, as "fast" as comfortable. You will want to keep up with faster hikers, that is (In my experience) the path to misery. I for one am most comfortable, and do the most miles over the long term, when I hike at my personal, for each day, pace. If I try to hurry, or "Push the miles" I end up doing less miles in the long term.

My most miserable days where the days I tried to keep up with: my schedule, friends, whatever took me out of that comfortable pace.

Carry your COPD meds, take them as perscribed. Plan on rest breaks if that is what it takes. Take days off. Hike short days ("Nero days").

You can do it.

Doctari.

Almost There
12-24-2006, 23:51
Warren has his opinion, and you have yours...I would hope you know yourself better than he does. Follow your heart and don't worry about what he says, that's what HYOH is all about.

Blue Jay
12-25-2006, 01:45
I took me 7 months and wished I was out for another. 6, 7, 8, 9 months it makes absolutely no difference. Do the Whites and Maine in the summer, the rest in the spring and fall. Warren was making a guess, but you know that. I've done it 3 times and even I do not know how long it will take me the next time, nor do I care.

rafe
12-25-2006, 02:00
I just returned from a 4 days school provided by Warren Doyle for hiking the AT. We hiked parts of the AT in NC, TN and VA with day packs. I had a very hard time doing the inclined because of my COPD. He told me that because of the problems I was having it would take me at lest 8 months to hike the trail.

That would make you a speed demon, in my book. I've been at it more or less forever, and I'm still not done yet. Thru-hikes are overrated. Do it in two years, or as long as it takes. The point is to be out there, enjoying yourself, being safe -- and hiking your own hike, not Warren's, and not your hiking buddy's. Push yourself, if you're up to it, but don't let it stop being fun. Your mileage may vary, but that's as it should be. It's your hike.

Marta
12-25-2006, 06:05
Miss Janet said it best recently: "I've never heard a hiker say they wished they had hiked the Trail faster." She went on the elaborate that many, many hikers have told her they wished they had taken more time on their hikes to see the sights, stop in interesting places, spend more time with people along the way...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-25-2006, 06:21
Tomman, hike as slowly as you need to, don't worry about the time it takes. The trail isn't going anywhere. We had seriously considered a thru-hike, but were on-the-fence between doing that and attempting to section hike the trail in about four to six segments. We decided to section hike because my elderly parents need more help than I can give if I take the time to do a thru-hike. Just before we were to go do a 300 - 350 mile segment, we were in an auto accident and I was left with permanent damage to one of my legs (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=202410&postcount=3). We now have no choice but to section hike and do that much, much more slowly than we had planned. The joy is in the journey, not in arriving at the destination. If hiking the entire AT is your dream - get out there and do it. You don't have to do it somebody else's way.

stumpknocker
12-25-2006, 09:09
Miss Janet said it best recently: "I've never heard a hiker say they wished they had hiked the Trail faster." She went on the elaborate that many, many hikers have told her they wished they had taken more time on their hikes to see the sights, stop in interesting places, spend more time with people along the way...

Well, I'll have to talk to Miss Janet because I wish I had walked the Trail faster in '06. :)

Ewker
12-25-2006, 11:05
Tomman, go out and enjoy your hike no matter how long it takes. There is no time limit on when you have to finish. Are you going to do a journal on Trail Journals?

hammock engineer
12-25-2006, 11:10
Tomman, go for it. I hope to see you out there.

Frosty
12-25-2006, 11:20
It doesn't matter how long Warren or Jeff or your doctor think it will take you.

You went to each for their thoughts and you got them, but those thoughts are just, well, just what they think.

No worries. It's all good information. It might take 8 months, Warren says. Great, now if it DOES take eight months, you won't get depressed because it's been six months and you've still 400 miles to go. And you will be aware of the possible need to flip-flop.

Jeff thinks less. Very encouraging for you. You can now plan a six-month hike, maybe start in March, which will get you to Katahdin in September. (And if it takes longer, you won't worry because you are aware that it might be eight months, and can flip in July and finsih up walking with the SOBOs.)

The doctor, well, he's the guy I'd pay most attention to, but regardless of what he says, or Warren or Jeff, it will take you as long as it takes you.

It's all very zen.

Heater
12-25-2006, 12:21
Start February, 15th. Enjoy. No problemo! :D

Also, there aren't many that would even attempt to backpack the AT 71 years old.

"Kludos" to ya! :) (whatever THAT means? :D I dunno...)

Frosty
12-25-2006, 13:05
Start February, 15th. Enjoy. No problemo! :D

Also, there aren't many that would even attempt to backpack the AT 71 years old.

"Kludos" to ya! :) (whatever THAT means? :D I dunno...)I think Kludos are candy bars, sort of like snickers, but with the peanuts in the nougat part of the bar instead of in the caramel.

Both Kudos and Kludos to anyone even considering thruhiking at 71 years old!

Grampie
12-25-2006, 13:11
Tomman,
Disregard what experts tell you. Prepair as best as you can, pick a date to start and start hiking. Listen to your body. Stop and rest when it tell you to. Enjoy the days as they happen and HYOH. Before you know it you will fall into a groove, be it five mile or twenty miles a day. If you don't finish this time, finish later. It's your hike enjoy it.:)

stumpknocker
12-25-2006, 13:17
Both Kudos and Kludos to anyone even considering thruhiking at 71 years old!

Tomman probably has lots of years of walking left. I've got some friends in a running club I belong to that are both in their later 70's and they can still run sub 24 minute 5 K races and they still run sub 4 hour 30 minute marathons.

I really admire people who keep on keepin' on. :)

STEVEM
12-25-2006, 18:25
I hike rather slowly, maybe my BP medications or just short legs. As a result, I usually hike alone. I don't want to slow anyone down or have to rush to keep up. I think everyone has a natural pace which feels good to them. I don't think it really matters if you take 8 months or 8 years as long as you enjoy yourself. At my current pace I'll need another 20 years.

A few years ago I was hiking a mountain trail when a small group of hikers came up from behind and passed me. I caught up to them later having lunch at a nice overlook. One member of the group who was obviously the oldest was telling stories about living in Europe during WWII. I commented to another member of the group that he was quite a character and a strong hiker for his age. That person told me that he was 85 years old and had both knees an one hip replaced. I guess they forgot to tell him the part about sitting home in his rocking chair, or maybe he forgot to listen.

Blissful
12-27-2006, 21:54
Tomman probably has lots of years of walking left. I've got some friends in a running club I belong to that are both in their later 70's and they can still run sub 24 minute 5 K races and they still run sub 4 hour 30 minute marathons.

I really admire people who keep on keepin' on. :)

Yes, I also know a man in his 70's who still runs marathons, be it a bit slow.

SO go for it, take your time and enjoy the journey!

tomman
12-27-2006, 22:22
I want to think everyone for the good advice. I will for certain start the trail in March. I will then hike as far as I can. If I reach a point where I need to flip flop then so be it, that is what I will do.

If by chance I have to leave the trail before I finish, due to illness or injury, I will return the next year and continue. I have dreamed of this hike since back in 1962 so I am not about to give up now as long as I can set one foot in front of the other I shall hike the AT.

tomman
Trail name Cherokee tom

Sly
12-28-2006, 02:44
One step at a time Tom, you'll be fine.

highway
12-28-2006, 07:30
While it was a difficult concept for me to understand at first, I came to realize that:

"The Journey is the reward-not the destination"

So, take as long as YOU feel like it!;)

neighbor dave
12-28-2006, 07:32
:-? go for it, you'll be fine! one step at a time. stay focused. good luck!!!:sun

Doctari
12-28-2006, 12:36
FANTASTIC!

Have a great hike.

Keep us posted, when you can.

Doctari.