PDA

View Full Version : Where to hike Jan.1 through 5th in NC/SC/VA?

Earl Grey
12-24-2006, 21:18
So school starts back on Jan 9 and im looking for a place to hike a camp next week but im not sure where to go. Itll be solo. Ive done some of the Foothills Trail and thought about starting on the other end but what are some other places? Ive never done any NC mountain stuff. Just today I went hiking in Montreat and walked on the Toll Road that goes to Mount Mitchell however this is private hunting property but it was pretty nice. I have a 15* bag and some warm clothes.

Two Speed
12-24-2006, 21:33
Bunch of loop hikes are possible in the Standing Indian area.
LOTS of hiking in the Smokies; over 900 miles in the park before the Benton McKaye was blazed through there.
could do up a section of the Bartram Trail
ditto for the Benton McKaye
what's wrong with another section on the Foothills?
Anyway, have fun whatever you decide to do.

orangebug
12-24-2006, 21:39
The NOGA loop of AT, Benton MacKaye and Duncan Ridge Trails.

MOWGLI
12-25-2006, 08:48
Don't forget the Mountains to Sea Trail (http://www.ncmst.org/aboutthemst.htm). It passes over Mt. Mitchell. You'll be cold and by yourself though. Bring a book or a friend, or both.

TurkeyBacon
12-25-2006, 10:15
Pisgah National Forest on the Brevard/Cradle of Forestry section. Its been designed for an outdoorists dream. Lots of well marked and well mapped trails. Some allow bikes, some allow horses, they all allow hiking. A few shelters in there too. Buy the Map and pick a route as they all are good. Also the lower elevation will keep you warm.
TB

Earl Grey
12-25-2006, 10:39
Don't forget the Mountains to Sea Trail (http://www.ncmst.org/aboutthemst.htm). It passes over Mt. Mitchell. You'll be cold and by yourself though. Bring a book or a friend, or both.

Are there any good loops to do in there?

Pisgah National Forest on the Brevard/Cradle of Forestry section. Its been designed for an outdoorists dream. Lots of well marked and well mapped trails. Some allow bikes, some allow horses, they all allow hiking. A few shelters in there too. Buy the Map and pick a route as they all are good. Also the lower elevation will keep you warm.
TB.

I couldnt find any information on this. Are there trail guides/maps for this area and where can you park?

Left Hand
12-25-2006, 11:35
Turkey Bacon is right; Pisgah is in my backyard. Hasn't gotten cold here yet. Plenty of acres and campgrounds to visit. They will be empty this time of year. You would need the Pisgah Ranger District map. Another alternative would be the AT section around Franklin or the NOC.

TurkeyBacon
12-26-2006, 10:36
http://foreststore.web.aplus.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NCm22&Category_Code=MAPNC
You mean like this map? This is the most complete recreational map I have ever used. There is a parking spot at most trail heads and I have not personally heard of any issue with vandalism. Its a very heavily used hiking area, but you will still find tons of solitude. It used to be my backyard for 3 years.
TB

Earl Grey
12-26-2006, 11:02
http://foreststore.web.aplus.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NCm22&Category_Code=MAPNC
You mean like this map? This is the most complete recreational map I have ever used. There is a parking spot at most trail heads and I have not personally heard of any issue with vandalism. Its a very heavily used hiking area, but you will still find tons of solitude. It used to be my backyard for 3 years.
TB

I actualy have this map. So more than likely ill go into Pisgah.

Are there any moderate few days loop trails that must be done? What are the must do's in this forest?

Left Hand
12-26-2006, 11:03
Exactly the one I was looking at when I posted...definately a great map.

Left Hand
12-26-2006, 11:06
The good thing about the area is that you can connect as many trails as you have time for. I would try to hit the section of Art Loeb that goes up Cold Mountain. It is a great isolated hike.

TurkeyBacon
12-26-2006, 11:53
There is too many loops to say one over the other. The Black Mt trail is a good one, the Cat gap loop is good, buckhorn gap/pinkbeds. Most the loops are overnighters, but you can to multiple overnighters. If you had another car, you could just do a section or the whole Art Lobe trail. You can use the fire roads too, but they are not marked and often overgrown (not an issue in the winter). Paradise...
TB

Earl Grey
12-26-2006, 15:35
Ive changed my mind and would like to do the Mountains to Sea Trail. Wheres a good place to get on it and be able to park for an out and back?