PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag situation

Flask
12-25-2006, 02:07
hi everyone. im curious which bag i should start with. im debating between my EMS Velocity 5 degree synthetic bag or my Mtn. Hardwear Phantom 30 degree down bag. im affraid the velocity will be to warm and the phantom will be not warm enough. my original plan was to start with the velocity and move to the phantom but im thinking that it might be better interest to get a 15 or 20 bag for the begining instead of the velocity. however id like to keep to my budget as much as possible. on the other hand sleep systems is where i want to put stinge the least. what are some of your thoughts. thanks!

flask

rafe
12-25-2006, 02:32
Start date? Well, maybe it doesn't matter. You'll get some sub-freezing nights even with an April 1 start date. You got it right: sleep systems are not the place to stinge.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-25-2006, 06:30
Since you already have the 30 F bag and are on a budget, you might want to consider adding a liner or bivy to give you the lower temp rating you will need. Are you planning to tarp, tent, hammock or shelter mostly? I ask because tents tend to be a bit warmer than the other options.

Frog
12-25-2006, 08:28
Just remember it will take energy to keep warm. Nothing could be much worse than a night in a sleeping bag and still being COLD. You could use a 30 degree bag with a liner and some fleece mid weight long johns for the colder nights.

TREE-HUGGER
12-25-2006, 08:30
You will without a doubt have nights below 30 deg in the beginning. We had 18 inches of snow on May 7th in 1992 between Erwin and St. 19.

jrwiesz
12-25-2006, 09:20
Maybe take two bags?
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=129749
One of these might not hurt too bad-budget wise, not too bad weight wise. When it warms, send one home for a later use/add to the gear closet.

Left Hand
12-25-2006, 11:28
I agree with Frolicking; a liner would help. They are light, add warmth, and make your bag last longer. I stitched together an army poncho liner and threw it in my bag. I was warm enough on a night when my water froze in heavy frost.

max patch
12-25-2006, 11:49
I left 5/1 and froze a few nights in a 20 degree rated TNF Cats Meow. No way I'd start with a 30 degree bag.

hammock engineer
12-25-2006, 11:57
Maybe take two bags?
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=129749
One of these might not hurt too bad-budget wise, not too bad weight wise. When it warms, send one home for a later use/add to the gear closet.

I bought the rectanglar version of this bag and trimed it down into a quilt. I now have a 15oz 50 degree summer bag that I can use as a second bag in the winter if I need to. I wouldn't order this based on the weight unless you planned on modifying it. It weighs 28 oz normally.

FanaticFringer
12-25-2006, 12:02
I bought the rectanglar version of this bag and trimed it down into a quilt. I now have a 15oz 50 degree summer bag that I can use as a second bag in the winter if I need to. I wouldn't order this based on the weight unless you planned on modifying it. It weighs 28 oz normally.

Exactly how did you trim it down? I have two of these bags in mummy style.
I did cut the zippers off and that saved me around an ounce.:D

hammock engineer
12-25-2006, 12:02
Since you already have the 30 F bag and are on a budget, you might want to consider adding a liner or bivy to give you the lower temp rating you will need. Are you planning to tarp, tent, hammock or shelter mostly? I ask because tents tend to be a bit warmer than the other options.

I second which shelter are you using. Are you a warm sleeper or cold? I try not to depend on any clothing that I wear while hiking, but what insulated clothing are you taking and what are you planning on sleeping in.

Spend some cold nights before your trip in your backyard in your shelter and see what works for you.

hammock engineer
12-25-2006, 12:08
Exactly how did you trim it down? I have two of these bags in mummy style.
I did cut the zippers off and that saved me around an ounce.:D

I cut about 5 inches off of each side, the zipper off of the bottom, the draft tub thingy off of the top, and rounded some off of the foot end. It is only around 45+ inches wide. I as shooting for 48, but forgot to leave extra or the seams. I still have to sew in the foot box. After that I am planning on starting a thread on hammockforums with a how to. I got pretty drastic with the trimming, but I figured there was no way I would take this bag if I didn't. In the hammock I can get away with a narrower bag/quilt than I think I could on the ground. I also needed a summer bag and did not want to spend $100 or so on a sub pound one.

jrwiesz
12-25-2006, 12:23
21 oz. according to the sportsmanguides description. Never weighed it, trusted their "truth in advertising". Should have added to original post, but assumed, "used with the 30 degree bag", and I assumed, "mummy". But, the "rectangular" bag would act as a liner. This bag you "modified", might also be a good bag to modify for those hangers that want to make thier own underblanket, has to add something under. Still thinkin'.

hammock engineer
12-25-2006, 12:35
21 oz. according to the sportsmanguides description. Never weighed it, trusted their "truth in advertising". Should have added to original post, but assumed, "used with the 30 degree bag", and I assumed, "mummy". But, the "rectangular" bag would act as a liner. This bag you "modified", might also be a good bag to modify for those hangers that want to make thier own underblanket, has to add something under. Still thinkin'.

I read that on their site before I ordered it. I think the mummy is 21 oz and the rectanglar is 28 oz. It was kind of fun to cut pieces off and think "I'm not going to carry this piece, or this piece".

When I was cutting and sewing it I also thought about modifying a bag into an underquilt. After this project I do not think it would be very hard. Just trim a bag to about 48" wide and a little longer than you are tall, sew a draw string in the top and bottom, and sew tie out tabs on each corner. If I come across a cheap 30 degree bag I might try this. I need another underquilt anyways for the trips I take a couple times a year with my dad. Right now he gets the underquilt while I use a pad.:(

Grampie
12-25-2006, 12:50
Flask,
If you are starting NOBO you will definately need more than a 30 degree bag. I started April 15 and had quite a few nights when my 20 degree bag didn't keep me warm enough. When it was cold I would sleep with long johns, sox and a fleese top. Most of the time that would take me through the night except one night it went down to 8 degrees and I didn't get much sleep. I switched to a 40 degree bag after Damaskas and a few nights that wasn't warm enough.:o

jrwiesz
12-25-2006, 12:58
I read that on their site before I ordered it. I think the mummy is 21 oz and the rectanglar is 28 oz. It was kind of fun to cut pieces off and think "I'm not going to carry this piece, or this piece".

When I was cutting and sewing it I also thought about modifying a bag into an underquilt. After this project I do not think it would be very hard. Just trim a bag to about 48" wide and a little longer than you are tall, sew a draw string in the top and bottom, and sew tie out tabs on each corner. If I come across a cheap 30 degree bag I might try this. I need another underquilt anyways for the trips I take a couple times a year with my dad. Right now he gets the underquilt while I use a pad.:(
Exactly, drawstrings, top and bottom, zippers for the arm holes[all of these modifications from the original], $25. How can dad refuse. I have used the "mummy" bags; two days on Isle Royale, AM lows 45-49F, August 2005, "chilly", but not "frozen". Which goes to the original post, to which I would reply, "two bags"??

Frosty
12-25-2006, 13:09
I left 5/1 and froze a few nights in a 20 degree rated TNF Cats Meow. No way I'd start with a 30 degree bag.I had a 20* Cat's Meow and I was cold in it even when the temps were above freezing. Whatever marketing manager signed off on labeling it a 20* bag should be forced to sleep in it at 20* for a year. That'd learn him.

hammock engineer
12-25-2006, 14:11
For a second bag I think I could put it over or under my down bag to use as a second quilt. Haven't tried it yet though.

spittinpigeon
12-25-2006, 14:46
I had a 20* Cat's Meow and I was cold in it even when the temps were above freezing. Whatever marketing manager signed off on labeling it a 20* bag should be forced to sleep in it at 20* for a year. That'd learn him.

The cat's meow is one of the two reasons I will never purchase a single item from TNF ever again. It's funny because that bag won the highly esteemed "editor's choice award" in Backpacker magazine. lol

emerald
12-25-2006, 15:25
The cat's meow is one of the two reasons I will never purchase a single item from TNF ever again. It's funny because that bag won the highly esteemed "editor's choice award" in Backpacker magazine. lol

Just wondering, do you believe the proper temperature rating for the TNF Cat's Meow to be >20 degrees F based upon your own experience? Others might find that information helpful.

Were you happy with the bag otherwise from the standpoint of design, workmanship, etc.?

Do you now have another bag you would care to recommend or is there another you saw on the A.T. that appealed to you or about which others spoke favorably?

Flask
12-25-2006, 20:25
hey thanks for the advice. im leaving march 24th and bringing a tarptent which is why im really leaning towards bringing the 5 degree bag. my pack is looking pretty good weight wise, but still the velocity 5* is almost 3 - 1/2 pounds! im just jumping back and forth on whether to carry it and not have to worry or to spend the money on a 15 degree, which might even way almost as much.

mike!
12-26-2006, 00:24
I'm having this same debate Flask.. i've got a 30 degree TNF beeline 900 and i really dont want to buy another bag I've made it down into the 20's without to much worry (silk liner,primaloft jacket, hat, fleece socks+ base layer) but much lower then that and its time for an ultralighters snuggle party?
I've got some extra down that i would love to put into the bag, but being that it has no zipper, i dont trust myself cutting her open. maybe ill ask around and see if anyone will do it for cheap.
mike!

Flask
12-26-2006, 01:38
i w as about to buy that bag when it went on clearance at EMS but i decided not to since i had the phantom 30* down already. i think it wouldnt be too bad if slept in with what you said. however, the reason im thinking of taking a warmer bag is mostly because i sleep better without wearing a jacket, etc. just long johns and i sleep great. i guess i have a few months to figure it all out until i fly down and leaving march 24. when abouts are you leaving?

Flask
12-26-2006, 01:39
also what are your opinions on the beeline? i was skeptical of the fact that it has no zipper. but to be honest i found no trouble with that feature when i tried it out. plus you cant really beat the 900 fill

highway
12-26-2006, 09:44
I'm leaving mid April with a 35 F Feathered Friends Wren, just as I did at end of April '04 and I had no discomfort at all then & expect none now.

Its plenty warm for me. Maybe its a better (more truthfully rated) bag. Alternatively, other suggestions not often remembered or done:

If you know you are going to be cold, turn the furnace up before you go to sleep. Its easy, just eat something and your body's heat output will soar as you begin to metabolize the just-eaten food, zipped up inside your mummy bag, including all of your head with just your nose & mouth open to the cold. If you are in a quilt, good luck to you.

Wear more clothes to bed. Especially wear hat to bed, or outer wear with the hood up if you were lucky enough to find one with it, inside as above.

If feet are cold and you have done above, rub your two feet together briskly together. It increases circulation from your hotter trunk where your heat is being generated to your outer, colder extremities, plus your motion now helps to generate even more heat.

Liner is supposed to raise bag's tem level 5-6 degrees or so, depending upon its material. I find it to be a nuisance, though, mostly, although I still carry its few ounces on occasion, just to keep body funk away from bag.

hammock engineer
12-27-2006, 15:08
Not to highjack this thread but here is a link to the summer sleeping quilt mod I did I talked about in a previous post.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=383