PDA

View Full Version : O Holy Lite

BookBurner
12-25-2006, 09:38
Merry Christmas Everyone! I was reading a book this quiet morning before the day's events began to unfold and enjoyed an inspired moment that I feel compelled to share. It concerns lightweight backpacking.

We go the woods to experience spirit, a god, our inner-selves, something we can't touch but nonetheless feel very surely inside our hearts. "It" is there when we reach the top of a mountain, when we happen upon an overlook, when we cross paths with a deer, or when we share a campfire with fellow hikers. We all like hiking for a lot of different reasons. But I believe we all love hiking because it touches our souls in some profound way at these precious moments.

When we carry too much equipment into the woods though, we create barriers to this spiritual enlightenment. The moments of personal fullfilment simply become fewer and farther apart in direct proportion to the size of the gear monkey we're carrying on your back. It's impossible to feel the full depths of peace and serenity and gratefulness and wonder when your heart is screaming away at 200 beats a minute after a short climb. It's impossible to feel connected to the ground you're sleeping on when you've zipped yourself inside layers and layers of nylon and mosquito netting. It's impossible to discover the kindness of strangers when they don't heed your thumb because your pack is too big for their trunk. It's impossible to notice god's creatures closing in on you to investigate the odd sight of a man stirring noodles when jet-fueled stoves are flaming away. Our choice to carry heavy, cumbersome, overly-engineered gear begins to keep us, figuratively and literally, from the very things that we went to the woods in search of in the first place.

In 2007, carry enough equipment to be safe. Carry enough equipment to be comfortable. But experiment on each new trip and discover for yourself where that threshold ends. Lightweight hiking is not about carrying less gear just for the sake of hiking more miles. It's not about carrying less gear so you can tell more tales about the ounces you've shed and all the toothbrush handles you've chopped to get there. Lightweight hiking is about reducing weight and "things" in order to reduce the burden on your body and thus needless barriers to your soul and your god. I've experienced the paring down process that I now preach. As I continue to make my way through that journey, I'm constantly amazed at how much richer my trips into the woods have become. Trust me. If you'll carry less, you'll discover more.

Happy Holidays to all of you, my hiking soulmates.

- BookBurner

MOWGLI
12-25-2006, 09:54
Matt:

That's the most compelling case I've ever read for going lightweight. You have inspired me! Thank you!! I hope our paths cross out on the trail in '07.

Merry Christmas!

Jeffrey Hunter

PS: I've been buring through more than a few books of late. I just finished The Places in Between (http://www.rorystewartbooks.com/)by Rory Stewart. What a great book!

rafe
12-25-2006, 10:10
Our choice to carry heavy, cumbersome, overly-engineered gear begins to keep us, figuratively and literally, from the very things that we went to the woods in search of in the first place.

If that gear makes the difference between going into the woods and staying at home, then I say, take it, and go.

Otherwise, nice rant. I could take issue with your handle ('BookBurner') but that's for another day.

RiverWarriorPJ
12-25-2006, 10:12
BZ BookBurner

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-25-2006, 10:12
Wow - what Jeff said and thank you.

Two Speed
12-25-2006, 12:10
Good stuff, however I will respond to
It's impossible to feel connected to the ground you're sleeping on when you've zipped yourself inside layers and layers of nylon and mosquito netting. with two words: cowboy camping! Was forced to cowboy out on my last little expedition and enjoyed if far more than I anticipated. Kept on waking up, due to being a little insecure, and had some of the best star gazing I've had in years. Woke up in the morning and realized that I'd had a very interesting experience that added much to the overall trip.

Footslogger
12-25-2006, 12:29
You pretty much put into words what I've been thinking since making the transition to "lighter" weight backpacking. I was not motivated by a desire to find a more spiritual attachment with the trail and nature however. My primary goal was to reduce the wear and tear on my body so that I could continue to backpack for many years to come. What you describe is the byproduct or secondary effect of my decision.

I'll never make (and have no intention of making) it to the ranks of "ultralight" backpacking. But cutting my former pack weight in half will no doubt double the number of years I am able to hike and the pleasure I will derive from it.

'Slogger

Two Speed
12-25-2006, 12:49
Funny how the latest gee-whizziest gear gets in the way of the reason we hike in the first place, ain't it? :-? BookBurner clarified some thoughts that have been bugging me for a while. That piece is very close to being required reading IMHO.

Grampie
12-25-2006, 12:59
My thoughts are....Do the research, take what you think you will need. HYOH and make the required adjustments along the way.
If you quit after a week or two, it doesn't matter what you started with.

rafe
12-25-2006, 13:14
Funny how the latest gee-whizziest gear gets in the way of the reason we hike in the first place, ain't it? :-? BookBurner clarified some thoughts that have been bugging me for a while. That piece is very close to being required reading IMHO.

Yes and no. LW hasn't chimed in yet... ;)

Earl Shaffer carried a hugely heavy pack, even on his last hike in '98. Who's to say he didn't experience the trail fully or properly?

So hikers in 2006 carried lighter loads than those in 1985. Did the '85 hikers experience the trail less fully than class of '06?

I liked the OP's rant. It has a lot of truth to it. But it doesn't explain the good times I've had over the years with a "way heavy" pack.

Plus, you know, I've gotta find my own path to spiritual enlightenment. ;) Peace.

Sly
12-25-2006, 13:27
Matt:

I've been buring through more than a few books of late. I just finished The Places in Between (http://www.rorystewartbooks.com/)by Rory Stewart. What a great book!

I've heard and have it, but haven't started it. I'm sure I'll enjoy it though, having spent nine months in Afghanistan in '72/'73. I still remember having Christmas dinner at a Kabul restaurant. Wow, that was 34 year ago! :eek:

Beachwalker
12-26-2006, 08:33
Wow... Zen and the art of Lightweight Backpacking. Excellent post.

-- BW

Ramble~On
12-26-2006, 22:28
Wow... Zen and the art of Lightweight Backpacking. Excellent post.

-- BW

Yeah...I was gonna mention something along those lines too--Nice post

I think it was Sgt. Rock that said in a post once
"The more I carry the more I like camping, the less I carry the more I like hiking"
these few words speak volumes.

The time of year, trail I plan to hike, the duration of the hike, pupose of the hike and who I am hiking with all greatly effect the size pack I'll cary and what will be inside that pack.

Ultra light or ultra heavy each style is equally good if you weigh the pros and cons of each. To say that one style limits the hiker's ability to experience the trail or truely enjoy their hike is a very bold statement.
Heavy, bulky camera equipment, a full size bible, books, nature field guides, binoculars, beer, cast iron dutch ovens...the list is endless but if for example the person with the large pair of binoculars and 2 full sized field guides on birds were to argue their point that without them they wouldn't fully enjoy their hike and be able to see and identify the birds outside of normal vision...you begin to see that "things" are not always "needless barriers" to your spirit or your god.
I agree fully that keeping pack weight to a minimum is top on the list to enjoying backpacking but going ultralight isn't for everybody.
"If you carry less, you'll discover more"....... Perhaps, but perhaps that discovery is that you wish you'd have brought along more to make more discoveries or to better enjoy your experience with the woods.

hopefulhiker
12-26-2006, 22:38
I agree, the less that I had to carry, the better I felt about hiking.....