PDA

View Full Version : Campmor Leki Trek Pole - Voyageur - Xmas morning nightmare

wpbucher
12-25-2006, 10:06
Got a pair of Leki Voyager trekking poles from Campmor. They came with very little instructions....and the instructions were very generic. Problems:

1. Cannot adjust bottom section. Tried to loosen bottom....but it is very tight. Tried with pliers to loosen....just scratched them. Is there some "trick" to loosening the bottom section?

2. I was able to remove the tip by loosening.....it is not obvious how to remove the basket. It turns and turns...to no affect. Do you have to "pop it off" somehow?

At this point I'm frustrated and have some scratched poles:mad: . www.leki.com (http://www.leki.com) was of absolutely no help.

Any tips or suggestions are appreciated.

FanaticFringer
12-25-2006, 10:30
Got a pair of Leki Voyager trekking poles from Campmor. They came with very little instructions....and the instructions were very generic. Problems:

1. Cannot adjust bottom section. Tried to loosen bottom....but it is very tight. Tried with pliers to loosen....just scratched them. Is there some "trick" to loosening the bottom section?

2. I was able to remove the tip by loosening.....it is not obvious how to remove the basket. It turns and turns...to no affect. Do you have to "pop it off" somehow?

At this point I'm frustrated and have some scratched poles:mad: . www.leki.com (http://www.leki.com) was of absolutely no help.

Any tips or suggestions are appreciated.

I've had my Voyager poles for a short while now and love them. The price cant be beat and I dont have to worry about them collapsing like the twist types. My nephew will be receiving a pair as a gift later today.
Not sure what you mean by not being able to adjust bottom section. You just push the button and twist from the top to adjust. Works great for me.
Maybe your's has some kinda malfunction.
Never tried to remove the basket. I like it as it is.

FanaticFringer
12-25-2006, 10:46
I'm assuming you realize these are not the twist type adjusting poles. They are called push button technology poles. Look for the silver bb like button and just push it and twist to adjust. I could see how you might be confused if you had not heard of the push button feature.

wpbucher
12-25-2006, 11:02
So these poles cannot be adjusted in between the push-buttons? What if you prefer a height that is in between the push buttons?.

The upper section has the push button adjustment. The collar in the middle of the pole "looks like" a locking sleeve to allow you to adjust the bottom section of the pole....but maybe not.

Any ideas how to remove the basket? I've got the tip (about a 4 inch section) at the bottom off...but basket is attached.

FanaticFringer
12-25-2006, 11:13
So these poles cannot be adjusted in between the push-buttons? What if you prefer a height that is in between the push buttons?.

The upper section has the push button adjustment. The collar in the middle of the pole "looks like" a locking sleeve to allow you to adjust the bottom section of the pole....but maybe not.

Any ideas how to remove the basket? I've got the tip (about a 4 inch section) at the bottom off...but basket is attached.

You can adjust only at the push button holes. Should work for most people.
The collar in the middle is not for adjusting.
I do wonder why the poles came with those little black plastic collars that have a split in it. I just took mine off.

white rabbit
12-25-2006, 11:23
The split collar compresses the push button to adjust the poles. It's useless since you can just press the button with your thumb. There is no adjustment between holes and the bottom section doesn't adjust. They are two piece poles, not three.

wpbucher
12-25-2006, 12:50
Thanks for the info. I must admit that I feel a bit dumb thinking the bottom was adjustable....although the little card that came with the poles shows a 3 section pole with two of the sections adjustable via twisting.

Any info on basket removal is appreciated....

white rabbit
12-25-2006, 13:15
The baskets are threaded. Pull towards tip of pole and turn. They will unscrew and come off.

white rabbit
12-25-2006, 13:21
Just so that you will have a "warm and fuzzy", these are good dependable poles. I have used a set for over a year now and haven't had any problems with them. Several times I have had them stick between roots and hang up, almost pulling me off my feet, and they have yet to break or bend.

wpbucher
12-25-2006, 14:45
The baskets have left the poles!!! Thread off the tip did the trick.

Final hurdle. Is the bottom 4-inch section supposed to come off? I took off with pliers...not much trouble. There was no glue/expoxy residue...so it looks like they should be able to come off?.....or not..since nothing with these poles has been obvious???

If not...I guess I need to epoxy to the poles?

All help is appreciated

jesse
12-25-2006, 15:21
just scratched them
Those arn't scratches. Those poles have character!
Merry Christmas

Sly
12-25-2006, 15:52
The tips which are only a couple inches, stay on by compression. You don't want to glue them otherwise when they need to be replaced you wont be able to get them off. Once you use the poles some they'll stay on just fine. If you have to replace the tips you take a wrench that fits over the the pole just above the tip and knock them off with a hammer.

The baskets have left the poles!!! Thread off the tip did the trick.

Final hurdle. Is the bottom 4-inch section supposed to come off? I took off with pliers...not much trouble. There was no glue/expoxy residue...so it looks like they should be able to come off?.....or not..since nothing with these poles has been obvious???

If not...I guess I need to epoxy to the poles?

All help is appreciated

Blue Jay
12-25-2006, 20:51
This thread makes me feel soooo fortunate not to have to hike with crutches strapped to my hands. I always see people playing with them and leaving them here and there. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with those who have to do so. I'm just very glad I do not have to do so.

rafe
12-25-2006, 20:56
I'm just very glad I do not have to do so.

I feel the same way when I see big SUVs at gas pumps ;).