PDA

View Full Version : What did Santa bring...

rafe
12-25-2006, 13:40
All we've heard about so far is a pair of Lekis. So what other kewl hiking gear made its appearance this morning under your trees?

I'm thinking later this week would be a really good time to visit the REI used/returned gear section :D.

jrwiesz
12-25-2006, 13:45
Did't get sh*nothing here.

copythat
12-25-2006, 13:51
... coal.

(think it might work in a zip stove?)

rockrat
12-25-2006, 13:58
2 oz Benchmade knife, ULA pack, and a Packa. I'm pretty excited.

Desert Lobster
12-25-2006, 14:00
couple AT books

Heater
12-25-2006, 14:01
Dunno yet.

I'll go over and cook the two tenderlions i have marinateing and see.

What I do know is that Santa will bring us all together and that's good.

:sun

Kerosene
12-25-2006, 14:04
The 2007 ATC Calendar from my wife, plus I gave myself one of Zelph's StarLyte alcohol stoves which looks great! My daughter gave me a shadow box full of various AT paraphenalia including pictures, patches, trail map, and an AT trail diamond marker. Cool.

Topcat
12-25-2006, 14:08
REI Quarterdome tent, cant wait to try it out.
Bought it myself, wrapped it and put the kids name on it from them to me....:-)

DawnTreader
12-25-2006, 14:09
2 pairs of hiking socks, leki poles, good books... desert solitaire, Pilgrim at tinker creek, touching the void, and trail mix in the stocking, including
M&M's from my girlfriend special ordered with personalized messages(really good ones) printed on them. Happy Holidays!!

jrwiesz
12-25-2006, 14:20
... coal.

(think it might work in a zip stove?)
wanted to try the Jetboil.

jrwiesz
12-25-2006, 14:24
The 2007 ATC Calendar from my wife, plus I gave myself one of Zelph's StarLyte alcohol stoves which looks great! My daughter gave me a shadow box full of various AT paraphenalia including pictures, patches, trail map, and an AT trail diamond marker. Cool.
Especially the "my daughter". To think of me!

stickat04
12-25-2006, 14:48
Altitech 2 High Gear digital caribiner altimeter
Golite Windshirt
PCT guide books

Good Christmas for me.

Wonder
12-25-2006, 14:56
EMS Mountain Light Zero Womens Bag, Polartech Fleece Pants and Hat, EMS Heavy Weight Socks, Mini Nalgene, Hiker Santa Ornament, and Money for my Tarp Tent.
I must say, santa pays attention (and spys on my gear list) I made out well!
Georgia...... I'll see you in 51 days!!!!

laniamore
12-25-2006, 15:16
I got a Pocket Rocket! Hiking socks! And an REI giftcard!! WOOHOOO... :D

mweinstone
12-25-2006, 15:25
i got discovered by the art world in paris. im off to live the life of a billionair philanthropist in about half an hour. ill be back and we'll all go hikin.
and a dvd from my son called spirited killer.but unfortunatly it dosnt seem to play on my mac.
and finnaly i got a dream from god last night. yeah,... he said the eagles would win 3 to 0 over dallas.

Desert Lobster
12-25-2006, 15:41
What's the weather like in gay Paris this time of year?

hikerjohnd
12-25-2006, 15:41
Nothing hiking related. No tools. Either I've been a bad boy or my wife is leaving me... lol

Tipi Walter
12-25-2006, 15:50
A bumper sticker: My Other Car is a Pair of Boots.

Two containers of Camp Suds backpacking soap.

Two great t-shirts: Homeland Security(picture of Geronimo with several others)Fighting Terrorism Since 1492. Another one with Mt Rushmore in the background, faces of four Indian leaders in front with the words FOUNDING FATHERS.

A 5 dvd set of a Nova series about mountain climbing called GREAT PEAKS: Everest, Kilimanjaro, McKinley, Mont Blanc and Vinson Massif.

Professor Noggin's National Parks card game.

rafe
12-25-2006, 15:55
Two great t-shirts: Homeland Security(picture of Geronimo with several others)Fighting Terrorism Since 1492. Another one with Mt Rushmore in the background, faces of four Indian leaders in front with the words FOUNDING FATHERS.

Damn, that's good (the first one, in particular.) I want one!

Tipi Walter
12-25-2006, 16:00
Damn, that's good (the first one, in particular.) I want one!

Dangit, I forgot the best one cuz I'm wearing it: a pair of thick Alpaca socks!! I love 'em.

Grandma Dixie
12-25-2006, 17:21
FIVE pairs of Smartwool socks (my mom knows me well)
A pair of OR windstopper fleece gloves, which should prove themselves to be my favorite pair, my hands get cold pretty easily
And, Not really hiking related, but I think people here might get a chuckle out of it: http://www.perpetualkid.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1733

A Bacon wallet! Vegetarian Kryptonite.

Plus, more to come! I havent seen the whole famly yet. (I have a feeling I'm geting a pair of vasque sundowners)

Footslogger
12-25-2006, 17:28
BadAss and I got each other a treadmill so that we can get/stay in shape for our hiking next year !! ...and I mounted a TV on the wall across from the treadmill so that we can plug in a good trail movie to keep us motivated.

'Slogger

Cookerhiker
12-25-2006, 18:17
2 pairs of smartwool socks, a bunch of Cliff bars, a garlic peeler (honest - very lightweight), a Cablelas ragwool sweater. Nothing else remotely related to hiking.

Fly By Mike
12-25-2006, 18:22
Snow shoes from LL Bean and winter poles. All I need now is some snow!!

gekko
12-25-2006, 18:23
Icebreaker Sport 320, Two Sea to Summit Ultra-sil dry sacks

Booley
12-25-2006, 18:34
Merino socks, Leatherman Micra, and a Press-Bot coffee press for my daily addiction. Sweet!

RadioFreq
12-25-2006, 18:55
Two REI gift cards totaling $125.00...And our local REI is having their "Scratch and Dent" sale next Saturday. :banana I am so there!!!

copythat
12-25-2006, 19:26
What I do know is that Santa will bring us all together and that's good.

:sun

well said! the best part of ANY holiday.

humunuku
12-25-2006, 19:29
Osprey Atmos Pack, Westerm Mountineering bag, therm-a-rest

The Scribe
12-25-2006, 19:40
Hiking socks and an AT book on day trips on the trail.

Outdoor related -- I put my LL Bean discount to use for a pair of Thule hull-a-port kayak holders for my truck as well as one for the canoe.

We had a warm, green, Christmas here in Maine. I couldn't be happier. Now if I can just get it so the water doesn't freeze over. :-?

Hike on
Happy Holidays all.

Kevin A. Boyce
12-25-2006, 20:00
I got a Ronco 5 Tray Dehydrator... a few bottles of vino, Ed Viesturs's new book, an huge kick a** bottle of Bailey's... That came from my hiking partner and his wife... YUM.. will be ensuring quality control of that very shortly.

I hope everyone had a good day!

peanuts
12-25-2006, 20:35
I am so glad everyone has had a great day! Enjoy!!:)

hikernutt
12-25-2006, 21:25
My gift is not something I can take with me but a funny gift my husband madefor me, he made a bunch of different signs of places I will be passing along the trail and will nail them to a sign post in put in my flowerbed as a reminder of my journey when I get back. He has been so supportive of my planning for my htur-hike in 07. I have some pictures titled christmas gift on faces of whiteblaze members. My husband knew I would get kick out of them. Later Hikernutt.

"You'r never far from home when you have a back pack on."

LastHonestFool
12-25-2006, 21:51
some super-warm hiking socks, new winter gloves and a balaclava I mentioned I wanted :)

was hopin for a new bag though :(

day after Christmas sales? lol

Chaco Taco
12-25-2006, 21:57
New Smartwool socks, Columbia Ultralight fleece jacket, waterproof matchbox, 50 ft Nylon rope from REI, ultralight first aid kit, spork, earcovers, my bus ticket to Waynesville for my section hike, GPS

Sandy B
12-25-2006, 22:18
A jack of hearts playing card with "R Better' written on the face,

With 500$ taped to the back :D:D:D Now I can order the 3 season Quilt set.

Pan, my order will be on its way!!!

Sandy B

wallace
12-25-2006, 22:29
Hennesey ultra light hammock
MSR stove
3 spoons and 2 identical LED lights

TinAbbey
12-25-2006, 23:10
a 15 degree kelty mummy bag that i nearly sliced into while opening the box, the stuff sack caught the worst of it
some Yaktrax that i'm itching to use
a subscription to adventure magazine

maxNcathy
12-25-2006, 23:18
raingear, waterproof mitts(shell), hiking socks, New Balance 809 trail runners,
waiting for March 19th to come
Happy New Year to You all.
Sandalwood

Almost There
12-26-2006, 00:16
Got an MSR Mutha Hubba for hiking with the wife. Got her a Marmot DriClime and a pair of Salomon Trail Runners.

stumpknocker
12-26-2006, 00:26
I got some nice Christmas cards, cookies, emails and a gift certificate for Starbuck's from some hiking friends....it was a GREAT CHRISTMAS!!! :)

simon
12-26-2006, 01:39
Petzl headlight n some fleece.

deadair
12-26-2006, 02:19
lets see, santa brought me a osprey atmos 65, msr 4liter drom bag, couple of stuff sacks, 1.3L titanium pot, new headlamp, I think thats about it.

Singe03
12-26-2006, 03:36
My dad, a career detective who makes Sherlock Holmes look like an rookie gumshoe, managed at some point to get me to admit that I was pretty happy with my gear, had no clue what I'd change from what I carried in 2003 but would like to carry a coffee cup on my next trip and got me a Snowpeak titanium mug...

I was absolutely floored that he managed at some point to get me to talk about my gear list, about this little hole in my gear list and figure out the exact item I'd get for myself. I can't even remember when we had this conversation, but he did.

StarLyte
12-26-2006, 06:42
Magellan GPS unit and cash.

Two Speed
12-26-2006, 07:08
Some chocolate and some time to hang out with my mother, brother, sister-in-law, sister, brother-in-law and my four beautiful nieces!

Jaybird
12-26-2006, 07:20
All we've heard about so far is a pair of Lekis. So what other kewl hiking gear made its appearance this morning under your trees?............

a NEW 20 degree Down bag from Campmor
a fleece vest
power gel packs
hiking socks

looking foward to starting the NEW YEAR on the trail!:D

MOWGLI
12-26-2006, 08:54
My dad, a career detective who makes Sherlock Holmes look like an rookie gumshoe, managed at some point to get me to admit that I was pretty happy with my gear, had no clue what I'd change from what I carried in 2003 but would like to carry a coffee cup on my next trip and got me a Snowpeak titanium mug...

I was absolutely floored that he managed at some point to get me to talk about my gear list, about this little hole in my gear list and figure out the exact item I'd get for myself. I can't even remember when we had this conversation, but he did.

Singe: Safe to say you behaved yourself as a teenager? :)

Santa brought me some music and some books. Just what I wanted. Hope everyone had a good day and spent some meaningful time with someone you love. After all, that's what it's all about.

Lone Wolf
12-26-2006, 09:38
I got some nice Christmas cards, cookies, emails and a gift certificate for Starbuck's from some hiking friends....it was a GREAT CHRISTMAS!!! :)

Gypsy got me a 6 pack of various Starbucks coffees from around the world. Plus a golf shop gift cert. and a book on smoking/bbq meats. Vegetarian no more.

Swiss Roll
12-26-2006, 09:56
A Suunto Vector watch. Altimeter, compass and barometer in that thing, very cool.

Tipi Walter
12-26-2006, 10:23
Feathered Friends Rock and Ice Parka $765
Western Mountaineering Puma bag $650
Bibler Fitzroy tent $750
Exped down pad $alot$
Mystery Ranch G6000 pack $600

JUST KIDDING JUST KIDDING JUST KIDDING
Tain't received NONE OF IT.
Santa had these items in his Sac ready for me but decided to keep them for himself, dangit!

Tabasco
12-26-2006, 10:23
Santa brought me a very nice set of matching early American historical portraits! Who would have thought that two paintings of Ben Franklin would have been so appreciated?

TurkeyBacon
12-26-2006, 10:29
I got a cold...
My wife got me Lynn Setzer's "A Seaon on the AT". I read the book before my hike and lost it after my hike. I can't wait to re-read it.
Hikernutt... that was an awsome gift, much better than any peice of gear which has a great chance of getting replaced on the trail.
TB

Jan LiteShoe
12-26-2006, 11:17
A fire pit.
Not lightweight either.
Y'all come by and we'll throw another log on.
:)

Alligator
12-26-2006, 13:48
Santa brought me a little sub-10 lb hiker. I hear if you feed them right they grow into sherpas.

Booley
12-26-2006, 14:17
Congrats Alligator, that is by far the best gift of all!!!

Two Speed
12-26-2006, 14:53
Yep, looks like Alligator wins the "best gift" contest. And he gets a new tax deduction, too!

Dances with Mice
12-26-2006, 14:58
Congrats to the Gator! That's one gift that can't be returned.

My gear list runneth over so I got all geek stuff.

c.coyle
12-26-2006, 15:37
So I got a book. The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11, by Lawrence Wright. Traces the history of radical Islam from its inception to 9/11. Like most Americans, I had never heard of Sayyid Qutb or the Muslim Brotherhood. Wright claims that the Islamist movement began with them. The expanation of the historical relationship between the U.S., the Saudi royal family, and radical Islam is worth the price of the book.

I'm only about 150 pp. into it. Haven't gotten to the part where a few Americans saw what was coming but were stymied by the bureaucracies in the FBI and CIA.

StarLyte
12-26-2006, 15:48
Santa brought me a little sub-10 lb hiker. I hear if you feed them right they grow into sherpas.

A baby gator. You got the best gift of all. :banana

Mags
12-26-2006, 16:24
Christmas Eve was the 5th year in a row that I spent celebrating with what my friends call their ethnic (Jewish) tradition on Xmas
Eve: Chinese food and a movie! Was able to spend time with my "adopted nephew".

Christmas Day was spent skiing with friends in the morning, then hosting a potluck dinner with fellow "orphans" at night.

I went a bit overboard in the cooking department (as usual!) and made two homemade veggie lasagnas (the "meat" was artichoke hearts, spinach, olives and eggplant marinated in olive oil and lemon juce), a turkey, a ham, and another veggie dish that had "veggie chicken" with broccoli, onions, mushrooms, sauteed in a lemon/butter sauce.

Cooking a lot of food for good friends is a great gift for me. :)

Pics of the morning ski/snowshoe: http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=13959&g2_page=2

Life is very good!
And, congrats to Gator for the best gift of all! :banana

rafe
12-26-2006, 16:29
Christmas Eve was the 5th year in a row that I spent celebrating with what my friends call their ethnic (Jewish) tradition on Xmas
Eve: Chinese food and a movie! Was able to spend time with my "adopted nephew".

Have a moo shi Christmas! Ancient and venerable Jewish tradition. ;)

peanuts
12-26-2006, 16:31
congrats gator!!!

copythat
12-26-2006, 17:33
Christmas Eve was the 5th year in a row that I spent celebrating with what my friends call their ethnic (Jewish) tradition on Xmas Eve: Chinese food and a movie!

fond memories of growing up in ny.

Mags
12-26-2006, 17:44
fond memories of growing up in ny.

My friends are from NYC orginally. In fact, the little guy's middle name is Brookyln.

No Chinese food for him since he is only 5 mos old... :)

Two Speed
12-26-2006, 18:51
No Chinese food for him since he is only 5 mos old... :)Why not? What do Chinese kids eat? American food?

Mags
12-26-2006, 18:59
Why not? What do Chinese kids eat? American food?

Like most 5 mo olds, I suspect the Chinese babies have breast milk as well.

Could be wrong.

Two Speed
12-26-2006, 19:09
Like most 5 mo olds, I suspect the Chinese babies have breast milk as well.

Could be wrong.OK, I'm spanked on this one. I was doing a little pre-emptive research, presuming you'd have something smart for me, and called my brother (my sister-in-law's Chinese) and got pretty much the same answer.

Alligator
12-26-2006, 22:42
Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

Cookerhiker
12-26-2006, 22:46

Congrats. When you're ready to buy the baby backpack carrier, be thankful that the designs have vastly improved since my kids were toddlers.

RAT
12-26-2006, 22:54
All I got was a lump of coal.

cargousa
12-27-2006, 06:53
wandering around the woods for months on end and a promise to pick me up in Maine (or where ever) regardless of how bad I smell! :eek:

copythat
12-27-2006, 07:34

(think upside ... think zip stove ...)

Heater
12-27-2006, 14:32

You can use that! :D

Heater
12-27-2006, 14:33
Congratulations Gator. I was wondering where you went! :D

D'Artagnan
12-27-2006, 17:01
Gift cards and cash -- since my family knows squat about backpacking and their eyes tended to glaze over when I told them what I'd like. Now comes the fun part...

strnorm
12-27-2006, 19:10
A black wolly pulley military sweater, a garmin gps and a gift card from gander mt. plus a trip to cabela's in hamburg pa. santa really liked me this year, either that or my wife wants me to hike more. what do you think?

RAT
12-27-2006, 21:02
Hey that is an idea, a zip stove, I used one to hike for two weeks once incl. all of the smokies and I came across some charcoal left in a shelter by some horse riders, carried a few pieces, talk about awesome for a zip stove ! Would get really hot quickly then could turn it off it would sit for a long time then turn the fan back on and walla, instant heat again ! Hardly any smoke.Not sure about the coal tho, it takes higher temp to light and all that yucky smoke and soot, eewww ! But at least Santa brought me something eh ? lol

RAT

trailwalker
12-27-2006, 22:14
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif My daughter and son gave me a present and said that they hoped I would never use it, and I http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon12.gifagreed. a PLB (personal locator beacon) happy hiking Trailwalker

ed bell
12-29-2006, 15:01
Congratulations Gator. I was wondering where you went! :DMe too.Congratulations to Uncle Gator, now Papa Gator. Watch out, those younguns have sharp teeth.:D

Dances with Mice
12-29-2006, 19:37
Oooh, I said before I'd gotten all geek stuff. Which is true. But I'd forgotten the CD's until just now when I sat down to rip them. Funny how the people who know me best all chose radically different music:

- Neil Young - Praire Wind
- Santana - Live
- The Best of John Coltrane
- Music From Glastonbury The Film (Coldplay, Morrissey, Radiohead, Chem Bros., Scissor, Scissor, Bjork)
- Drive By Truckers - Decoration Day

...and...

- The Legendary Pink Dots (http://www.brainwashed.com/lpd/main2.html)- Your Children Placate You from Premature Graves!

Yeah. From Drive Bys to Pink Dots! Can't get a wider range than that.

(Actually I asked for the Dots just for the cut 'The Made Man's Manifesto' because it fits perfectly with the 'every other' club passing beat. But so does Steely Dan's 'Hey Nineteen'. Go figure.)

MOWGLI
12-29-2006, 20:10
- Neil Young - Praire Wind
- Santana - Live
- The Best of John Coltrane
- Music From Glastonbury The Film (Coldplay, Morrissey, Radiohead, Chem Bros., Scissor, Scissor, Bjork)
- Drive By Truckers - Decoration Day

...and...

- The Legendary Pink Dots (http://www.brainwashed.com/lpd/main2.html)- Your Children Placate You from Premature Graves!

Yeah. From Drive Bys to Pink Dots! Can't get a wider range than that.

(Actually I asked for the Dots just for the cut 'The Made Man's Manifesto' because it fits perfectly with the 'every other' club passing beat. But so does Steely Dan's 'Hey Nineteen'. Go figure.)

Ya got some keepas in that list! I had no idea you were so eclectic!

Dances with Mice
12-29-2006, 20:16
Ya got some keepas in that list! I had no idea you were so eclectic!Funny how so much stuff I like also happens to be in the $2 bin, isn't it?

MOWGLI
12-29-2006, 20:19
Funny how so much stuff I like also happens to be in the $2 bin, isn't it?

You give Prairie Wind a full listen yet? Checkout Emmylou's voice on This Old Guitar. Simply amazing!