PDA

View Full Version : Squall 2

Wonder
12-25-2006, 22:36
I just ordered this tent today. I get so nervous whenever I buy a large peice of equiptment............... somebody please tell me that I made a good choice.........

Hana_Hanger
12-25-2006, 22:56
You will find lots of backup here for that tent.
I have it as well and the only thing I do not like is I prefer a side door...easier for me to use.
I love how light it is...but not as roomy as I like for two people with all our gear. I have an older model could be why.
It is used a lot on the PCT and the JMT and holds up well in high winds and rain storms.
Easy set up too :) enjoy!

lbbrown
12-25-2006, 23:05
I have a Double Rainbow and love it! Has lots of room and 2 large vestibules. You can borrow it if u want to try it or compare with the squall. Entry doors on either side is useful also. pm me

rafe
12-25-2006, 23:50
I've had my Tarptent Rainbow for... about a week, maybe. Support from Tarptent (Henry Shires) has been phenomenal so far. I've yet to hear any negative remarks about any Tarptent model.

I was nervous about the Rainbow when it arrived. I set it up improperly the first time. Henry set me straight, responded to my email within hours. After setting it up properly, I'm very impressed. :)

gumball
12-26-2006, 07:27
All good to hear, just bought one for my hubby for Xmas... :)

hopefulhiker
12-26-2006, 09:33
EXCELLENT CHOICE!!, You will not regret it. Get some Kelty trip tease and mix up some silicone from the hardware store with paint thinner and seam seal that puppy..

rafe
12-26-2006, 10:01
EXCELLENT CHOICE!!, You will not regret it. Get some Kelty trip tease and mix up some silicone from the hardware store with paint thinner and seam seal that puppy..

Just curious (as I'm in the process of seam-sealing my Tarptent)... a lot of tents these days are "factory taped" and don't seem to need seam-sealing. Wonder why Tarptents still do ?? :-?

hopefulhiker
12-26-2006, 10:59
I would speculate that it could be the weight, Henry Shires was a physics school teacher up untill recently where he had to quit his job to keep up with the tent orders. I didn't mind sealing it. Also he reccommends dabbing some on the top of the floor to prevent pad slippage..

Wonder
12-26-2006, 16:35
How do you mix that? 50/50? I was just going to use some of the sponge on stuff that I sealed my Air Jet with.

rafe
12-26-2006, 16:46
How do you mix that? 50/50? I was just going to use some of the sponge on stuff that I sealed my Air Jet with.

Mix it with paint thinner in a small cup. I used one of those little 4 oz tupperware things. It takes a lot of stirring before the stuff dissolves; be patient. I used a chopstick to stir with. 50:50 is about right. It's not really critical. If you make it too thick, it's harder to apply. If you make it thin, it's easier to apply, but will take longer to dry and to cure.

Wonder
12-26-2006, 19:17
thank you! I'll give it a shot!

Appalachian Tater
12-26-2006, 19:22
The paint thinner is the same alcohol stoves use. Did his instructions say to use one of those little foam paintbrushes from the paint store? Works well but the mixture dissolved the glue that held th spong on the stick. You could just use a piece of sponge and wear disposable gloves. For the floor you might not want to dilute the silicone and consider putting some on the bottom of your pad if it's inflatable.

Skidsteer
12-26-2006, 19:33
A link to directions:

http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Silnylon1/index.html

rafe
12-26-2006, 21:33
The paint thinner is the same alcohol stoves use.

I don't think that's right at all. The instructions at the Tarptent site expicitly say mineral spirits/paint thinner.

Ewker
12-26-2006, 21:38
you should have gotten instructions on how to seam seal with the tarptent. I have the Squall and use it all the time. I forgot the pole that goes in the back and just used my trekking pole. It worked just fine

Hana_Hanger
12-26-2006, 22:49
you should have gotten instructions on how to seam seal with the tarptent. I have the Squall and use it all the time. I forgot the pole that goes in the back and just used my trekking pole. It worked just fine

I am always happier to carry less items. My Squall for the back has a rounded pole...so I was wondering on how you use a trekking pole? Does it collapse the sides a little?

Ewker
12-27-2006, 01:21
I am always happier to carry less items. My Squall for the back has a rounded pole...so I was wondering on how you use a trekking pole? Does it collapse the sides a little?

I made the trekking pole as short as possible. I stuck the trekking pole (point down) in the middle of the arc. I stretched the sides out as far as I could with some extra stakes I borrowed. The back still collapsed some but not enough to bother me. I make sure I don't forget that pole.

Hana_Hanger
12-27-2006, 04:23
:) Okay Thanks
I guess its only for a ER use then...but I think I will try next time I am out and test it with two trekking poles (front and rear) and see if it holds up okay in the wind etc... :)

Wonder
12-27-2006, 16:04
That you all for the trouble shooting info! I can't wait till next weds. when it's supposed to get here! It will be a sight in my little townhouse development to have a tarptent out on our little patch of grass by the parking lot! The letter I'll get from the condo asso. should be good..... hehehehe