PDA

View Full Version : Backpack for larger(rotund) fellows?

mattyknacks
12-26-2006, 08:03
Hi all. I went to EMS looking for a backpack and had trouble finding one with a hip belt that would fit around my waist. I know I am a big guy, but wow. I guess I need the "big and tall" backpack section. any recommendations for a good pack for a big guy?

A little backround: I am actually a new dayhiker who is in the process of losing weight and would like a good backpack to carry around as practice since I would like to become a section hiker at some point. I wanna carry a tent and a sleeping bag/pad and do a few overnighters in the spring and summer.

Hmmm... 14 years to retirement! Think I could go from being an overweight city dweller to a thru-hiker in that time?

Thanks in advance.

Matty in Brooklyn

iamscottym
12-26-2006, 09:11
Well, without knowing your waist/hip circuference it's hard to suggest anything specifically. Just check out rei.com and look at the listed specs. If nothing they have is large enough, you may be able to take a hipbelt to a tailor and get a longer piece of webbing sewn in. It wouldn't be ideal, but it's the best I can suggest. This isn't really my area of expertise, as I tend to have the opposite problem. Perhaps others will chime in with their own experiences.

Oh, one last thought. McHale custom makes packs to your specs, so that'd be an option. However, they are very expensive.

-iamscottym

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-26-2006, 09:15
Welcome to WB. You have two options as I see it -
Get a large speciality hip belt (I think Marmot Arc Flex has optional XL hip belt up to 48")
Carry a daypack without a hip belt until you lose enough weight for the standard hipbelt to fitPersonally, I'd go with a larger adjustable daypack without a hip belt since you don't plan to be dong multi-day trips anytime soon. This will allow you to hone what sort of equipment you need to feel safe and comfy when backpacking and give you some idea of what features your evental backpack will need. You need to keep your overnight weight fairly low (20 to 25 lbs) to do this - otherwise you will need a true backpack to manage the weight.

highway
12-26-2006, 09:22
Welcome to WB. You have two options as I see it -

Get a large speciality hip belt (I think Dana Designs has very large items)
Carry a daypack without a hip belt until you lose enough weight for the standard hipbelt to fit Personally, I'd go with a larger adjustable daypack without a hip belt since you don't plan to be dong multi-day trips anytime soon. This will allow you to hone what sort of equipment you need to feel safe and comfy when backpacking and give you some idea of what features your evental backpack will need. You need to keep your overnight weight fairly low (20 to 25 lbs) to do this - otherwise you will need a true backpack to manage the weight.

Yep to the thoughtful above as well. If your weight is real high, it will drop off real fast and you will then be stuck with a pack with too long a hip belt. Do choice 2 above and concentrate on loosing the waist size first.

Toolshed
12-26-2006, 09:22
Matty, Check out any of the Kelty Products. They are designed to fit waists up to around 50" or more. For thinner people the excess belt material is pulled back along itself on each side, in a cleverly design gliding TriCam-like device allowing one to pull forward to tighten the hip-belt. For folks that need a bit more material, just unthread the excess belt material from the tricam like device.

Also, Many Lowe Alpine packs have belt to at least 50" as well.

However, fit is also important - If it is crucial to you, It might be better to find a brand that fits well first and has features that you like, then using a couple of TriCams, and purchasing some 2" webbing belt material and a spare male or female TriLock, extending the belt so it fits you. If you lose the weight, you can shorten the belt little by little.

If fit is not that important, then go with a kelty and when you have lost the weight, you can go with a more specific backpack, though I have a couple of Kelty's and love them.

hopefulhiker
12-26-2006, 09:27
Luxury Lite pack has an easily adjustable hip belt that can accomodate really big waists...As you lose weight you can adjust the belt. I lost six inches of waist on the trail..

ozt42
12-26-2006, 15:48
My northface packs hip belt goes out to about 54". It's an expedition pack meant to be worn over a down oversuit on big mountains :)

Fits my big a$$ just fine.

mattyknacks
12-26-2006, 17:51
Welcome to WB.

Thank you, it's great to be here!

Carry a daypack without a hip belt until you lose enough weight for the standard hipbelt to fit

I thought of that, but decided that I should have some hip support so as not to aggravate my back. Since I dont want to be flamed as an overweight dayhiker, I wont mention that 50 is my waist size.:)
I will look at some of the other brands mentioned on this thread, thanks to all, and happy holidays!!!

Matty in Brooklyn

PS I have already lost a few inches during my limited hiking experiences, and now I have the bug!

Kevin A. Boyce
12-26-2006, 18:22
Matty, take a trip over to Campmor in Northern NJ... They have a great selection, usually better in store then on their website and catalog since they get quite a few items that are limited in quantity...

You might be better off buying a pack with the features you want and fits you best, and worry about the hipbelt last. I say that because you could take a previous poster's idea and have the hipbelt altered... It is one the parts of a pack that can be easily altered.

And yes, you will find the lbs coming off quickly...

copythat
12-26-2006, 20:05
matty:

check out this site ...
http://www.ospreypacks.com/PackTech/SizingandFitting/

the osprey aether packs are pretty good
http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/AetherSeriesMens/

they're available at rei. you might be able to get one fitted to you there, or at least try it on first.
http://www.rei.com/online/FindStores.do?state=NJ&radius=900

happy hunting!

mattyknacks
12-26-2006, 20:31
matty:

check out this site ...
http://www.ospreypacks.com/PackTech/SizingandFitting/

Hi there and happy holidays!

I went to that link, and it looks to me that their XL hip belts are around the 37 " size or there abouts.